1189 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

I don’t expect a very big discution on this but anyways if you have to add some arguments, then you can explain your response.

Treat this topic as a poll.

The question: What is the minimum PHP version that your themes or plugins require and why(optionally)?

WordPress itself requires PHP 5.2.4+, but you may already know that this version is very old and the PHP community added a lot more to the current versions.
  • PHP 5.3 added anonymous functions, late state binding, namespaces, etc.
  • PHP 5.4 added short array syntax, short php tags always available(no more problems on that), direct class member access or direct array acces from function, etc.
There are so many cool features that can simplify and help build complex application faster. You can see them all here:

Here is a poll, please add your vote: http://poll.fm/4xf4s

Edit: A moderator please change the title to the question itself. Thank you.

1189 posts
+5 more
Smartik says

Come on, guys. Please vote, share, whatever. ;)

1189 posts
+5 more
Smartik says

So far 13 votes. I hope more WordPress users can add their vote. ;) http://poll.fm/4xf4s

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
WPWiseOwl says

5.3 is a bit like Internet Explorer v6 (to me) though plenty still use it. Time to move on since v5.6 is now out. I voted for v5.4 since I couldn’t think of a good reason not to. Plenty of bad reasons.

209 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
GDragoN says

For as long as the WordPress requires PHP 5.2.4, plugins need to work with that PHP too. And there are still a lot of servers running PHP 5.2. New servers usually have a choice of PHP 5.3 or 5.4, and very few have 5.5. I always create my plugins to support PHP 5.2.4.

WordPress.org own statistics information shows that 38.3% of all servers work on PHP 5.2, 38.7% use PHP 5.3 and 20.5% use PHP 5.4 with only 2.3% use PHP 5.5.

It would be great if we can use only the latest PHP, but that is not realistic, as many users can’t choose which PHP they can run on their server.

107 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Ireland
aelia_co says

Voted 5.3+ because 5.2 is beyond obsolete and should be ditched. Also, coming from a background of development where I normally use “stronger” programming languages, I tend to design solutions using techniques such as late static binding, namespaces and a couple of other features, which are all standard almost everywhere else. I would even use overrides, if they were available.

Regarding compatibility issues, just two of our clients (we have over a thousand) were with hosting providers who didn’t want to, or know how to upgrade to 5.3 or higher. Of those two, only one could not get the server upgraded, while the other got it within a day. The die was cast, and 5.3+ has been ever since. :)

1189 posts
+5 more
Smartik says

I personally use 5.4 on my local installation and 5.5 on my VPS. There are so many new things starting with 5.3 that can save a lot of time… Right now my plugins/themes require PHP 5.3+, I can’t even think to 5.2. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by