23 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
themedesignguru says

Hello everyone, I’m looking for an advice on how to bundle heavy plugins with theme?

I would like to release a theme with VisualComposer(6.5MB) and LayerSlider (7MB) included. What’s your preference? Do you put heavy plugins inside a theme and activate them using TMG or put them in a separate from theme folder and describe in documentation that these plugins needs to be installed manually? What can you recommend based on your experience?

Thank you!

5 posts
  • Located in Europe
Themethon says

Bundled plugins must be included via the TGM Plugin Activation class. See WordPress theme submission reguirements for more info.

23 posts
themedesignguru says

Then it makes impossible for users to install theme using admin panel.

5 posts
  • Located in Europe
Themethon says

Then it makes impossible for users to install theme using admin panel.

I don’t see why not. Your plugins will “live” in the theme’s directory. You will ship it compressed with .zip extension and everything will go perfectly fine.

23 posts
themedesignguru says

VisualComposer(6.5MB) + LayerSlider (7MB) is ~14MB + 4MB theme files = ~18MB final theme weight.

Most of the hosting companies have a limit of 5MB per file upload.

115 posts WordPress Wizard
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
CODE9RS says

TMG supports externally hosted plugins right? I think it’s possible use a URL to request the file, instead bundle it inside the theme…

23 posts
themedesignguru says

Right, but I can’t see anyone use it this way. Moreover, can we host premium plugins like Visual Composer on external host? How to protect these sources from pirate downloads?

3023 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Please ask the authors of VisualComposer and LayerSlider. They may have a smaller copy of the plugin that you can bundle.

1216 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

Please ask the authors of VisualComposer and LayerSlider. They may have a smaller copy of the plugin that you can bundle.

Hi,

I’ve reduced the size of my VC to 1.8MB. There is a folder in /assets/lib which some of the JS plugins are added there with their preview and demos. I’ve removed all the demo data (Images and …) and the size of the plugins is ok right now.

Cheers,
Iman

23 posts
themedesignguru says

Thank you dtbaker and imangm for valuable tips! I already managed to reduce VisualComposer size to 4MB by only deleting demo content as you said! It’s sad that I will have to repeat this process every time they update a plugin 8-(

I still think that hosting these plugins on a private BitBucket repo can make a trick, but have not enough information/knowledge on how to make it secure.

I’m wondering if Envato can come with some sort of solution for it in the future to make this process easier and smooth for the end users. On their new requirements page there is the next text:

Bundled plugins must be included via the TGM Plugin Activation class, which manages plugin dependency and plugins can be installed from WordPress.org or a bundled ZIP file (more options coming soon).

(more options coming soon) brings me some hope or I’m wrong?

by
by
by
by
by
by