101 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pjtops says

I don’t yet have a large portfolio of items, so I’m not usually swamped with support requests and questions, which means I have the time to follow up on and remember the few that come through. I recently got an email from a “potential buyer” asking about one item which they liked, and whether some particular functionality was possible, and how it could be done.

I say yes, and even offer to help him customize it how they want once they’ve purchased the item since its a really simple modification, but he replies saying I misunderstood the question. he explains what he wants again, then asks how it can be done. Its looking more suspect now, since he is asking how questions, rather than the usual what questions you’d expect from a potential buyer. I reply saying telling him not to worry, that sounds even easier now that he has explained it further, and I’ll him if he gets stuck once his bought the item. As expected, I never hear from him again. So this morning I remembered him, and decided to do a little “google detective” work, and found his brand new site. And its using my item, but not the download package legit buyers get, but a ripped version of the live preview. And since the item is a vCard, I’m greeted by a nice picture of a guy who just pirated my item. And he is a web developer!

I know piracy happens all the time, but I’m surprised a fellow developer would do this. Not only does he pirate my developers work, but gets in touch with me, so that I can also offer him some free support on top of that. The shamelessness is unbelievable. I’ve just sent him an email, asking him to either purchase the item, or take it down.

386 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WPExplorer says

Lame.

5765 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

The shamelessness is unbelievable.

Because “Shame” is subjective :D

All starts when people aren’t capable of grasping effort behind others work. These days, the creator and user has too many strategic/legal layers and pseudo contributions which makes some people to unconsciously enter “exploit every possibility” zone shamelessly. ;)

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pjtops says

Just got a response, and all the files have been removed. Atleast that saves me having to send a DMCA takedown notice to him and his hosting provider. Considering where this “buyer” is living, the item would cost less than a meal at mcdonalds, so I just dont get it. I guess some people just like FREE

5765 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Just got a response, and all the files have been removed. Atleast that saves me having to send a DMCA takedown notice to him and his hosting provider. Considering where this “buyer” is living, the item would cost less than a meal at mcdonalds, so I just dont get it. I guess some people just like FREE

I had few buyers who uses my preview files. When they contact for support, I politely point “if you use the download package, it will simply work”. The mysterious part is they don’t have problems in spending money; they lack different aspects.

Once a buyer asked me to do a complete copy of my own item as custom work and give the rights for him to resell/distribute as well. But he wasn’t asking it in a straightforward manner and I grasped his plan / requirement only after exchange of 10-12 emails. In the mean time, I completed around 3-4 solid days of work for him with the assumption of I do all these for item support and as an useful public update.

Innocence’s crude variations!

1469 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

The shamelessness is unbelievable.
Because “Shame” is subjective :D

+1.

12 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
STripepi says

This mindset seems to (sometimes) correspond with entitlement. If anything, a corrupted sense of right and wrong. Obama was elected on the platform of ‘FREE’. It’s not going away anytime soon. Sad.

457 posts
  • Austria
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
iHelp says

What the heck! Oh man… 

474 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
rayoflightt says

I had similar situation couple of times, once I helped with little customization and wasn’t even check if he bought my template ( I was new author ). After that he write to me again and asking another question. This time I asked him to write to me through TF so I could check if he bought template. But he refused with story that I already helped him last time so that is the proof that he bought template. When I pointed that last time I didn’t even check if he did it he started to be rude. Of course he didn’t get the answer.

Once I get a question about “how” something in template can be changed, he said that he already “tried” it but nothing. He also said that he wants to buy my template. Funny.

by
by
by
by
by
by