511 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
steve314 says

My opinion: Trying to achive a “film look”, means trying to achive better color and resolution quality over video. Unfortunatly, “film look” these days means adding dust & scratches… which is not bad nessesarily! After all, all effects are based on malfunctions over an image! (Lens flares, blurs, glows etc.)

5180 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Depth of Field:

Depth of field is not a film-look. Depth of field is the property of a lens. And the lens you use depends largely on the film format or chip format you choose to use.

For instance a RED camera shooting at 4K will display similar depth of field properties to 35mm film for a lens with a similar field of view.

16mm dof resembles that of a 2/3 inch chip as found in Sony HD cameras and SD Digibeta cameras for instance.

8mm film has similar dof properties to a consumer DV camera with a 1/3 inch chip.

Of course, longer lenses and lower f-stops accentuate depth of field for any format.

1285 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

good points felt, you’ve an experienced person I can tell… one thing I like is rack-focus effects, eg foreground sharp, background fuzzy, for a depth-of-field effect…like this new project does that: http://videohive.net/item/clean-slate/136468 ... it ‘sells the shot’ more effectively to have defocus blurs/rack focus dof somehow integrated, for certain types of shots/projects…

sometimes a special rack-focus zoom effect is a good way to highlight the hero of the shot, eg zoom into hero, simultaneously pull the background plate re reverse rack focus, some of the newer movies do that, to give a special effect highlight to the hero/center foreground of shot (as w/3d 3-plate effects, fore mid and background plates)

as far as a ‘film’ look goes, mostly what’s noticeable is the blueish/desaturated grainy looks, like in some hollywood movies, and games (call of duty), though not sure how effective it is in small flash streaming videos for web promo spots, except for special projects i suppose

5180 posts
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

@Miseld: I’m going to be getting a lot tougher on advertising your own files on the forums.

Although what is above is disguised as a request for feedback on a forthcoming project, it’s actually just a major advert for the forthcoming project. I’ll leave it this time, but anything along these lines in future, I will delete immediately.

5180 posts
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Generally, I’m not much sold on color correction presets.

For starters, anyone who’s remotely serious about their work will know that color correction is applied based on the original colors of the underlying shot. Even getting shots that were shot on the same camera under similar lighting conditions isn’t always as easy as you might imagine.

Secondly, I find it really hard to believe that there are users out there that can’t do basic color corrections for themselves. I mean, Miseld’s example above is a cyan tint and a lens flare….

On the other hand, this is Videohive, so I’ll never cease to be surprised.

3951 posts After Effects Templates
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
miseld says

No need for that i will do and i was not advertising as i write i just want buyers opinion. It’s better for marketplace to have file that will sell good then file that have 0 or few sales.

How to do something when you do not know what customers need?

Besides all I’m very calm, but in future I will not tolerate such incursions!

1817 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+11 more
Mocarg Moderator says

Where did he assault you Misel? :S

by
by
by
by