4386 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Lately there have been a lot of confusions about the ambiguity of our upload wiki, help wiki, and what not. There are a lot of rules that aren’t mentioned in the wiki. The last one I can remember is the PHP .

I have a small request, can the wiki be updated, and maybe be updated by our reviewers? They know best what’s happening with files, what is and what is not allowed.

Unfortunately, previews may not use PHP or any other server-side script. Any PHP functionality must be stripped out for the preview. For example, if your file calls dynamic content from a database, for the preview, call static content instead.

What do you understand from this? That PHP cannot be allowed at any circumstance, yet, there are previews on authors servers, previews that have no PHP , so on and so forth.

In my humble opinion, there should be a lot written in there about what a “redistributable” resource is. I found a flash resource that I can use for everything. Can I use it for a file?

And another thing. People are not allowed to use items that infringe copyright laws. Yet I see previews of files using videos from YouTube, example a song of world known artist. That is allowed ? I understand that the main file does not make use of that song, but still.

The wiki needs to be clear, concise, for everyone to perfectly understand 100% from the first time they read it, and know everything there is to know about what files should be uploaded.

P.S. I am just saying this because I finally started working on a template, and read them from top to bottom again, and I had a lot of unanswered questions that was hoping to get an answer from the WIKI and they are still unanswered :|

What do you guys think? EDIT : TNL3542 please don’t block quote this entire post and say ” YES ” , ” I AGREE ” , either say something constructive or stop hitting your post count :) ( I am not picking on him, not offending, not humiliating! I’m just saying. )

CreativeAddiction
CreativeAddiction Recent Posts Threads Started
160 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
CreativeAddiction says

TNL3542 please don’t block quote this entire post and say ” YES ”

I don’t think there was any need for that, publicly trying to humiliate another user, not cool…

+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

I don’t think there was any need for that, publicly trying to humiliate another user, not cool…

Not humiliating man. He hits his post count whenever he can. I really want an answer to my thread that is not a ” YES ” or saying HI to someone…

I want to know if I am the only guy who doesn’t find all the answers in the WIKI :) No offence intended, as said in the main post.

734 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
50andJACK says

Not humiliating man. He hits his post count whenever he can. I really want an answer to my thread that is not a ” YES ” or saying HI to someone…

I want to know if I am the only guy who doesn’t find all the answers in the WIKI :) No offence intended, as said in the main post.

yes? :D :D :D

734 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
50andJACK says

I think that when uploading to youtube you agree to some terms that allow other people to embed the video into their own website. Hence that embed code and all the apis they made for youtube.

As for php, I doubt the problem lies in it’s terms/conditions/copyright. I think it’s more of a security issue.

But I agree, the wiki and upload instructions could be a bit more clearer, especially for new comers.

+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

I think that when uploading to youtube you agree to some terms that allow other people to embed the video into their own website. Hence that embed code and all the apis they made for youtube.

As for php, I doubt the problem lies in it’s terms/conditions/copyright. I think it’s more of a security issue.

But I agree, the wiki and upload instructions could be a bit more clearer, especially for new comers.

There are other things, like how you are suppose to format code, how am I suppose to know what’s the quality standard for a template when it comes to code formatting? My example, in my current template, each major menu and event is on a separate layer. ( Actions related ) I consider that the best way to code in terms of how easy it will be for the user to edit it, but how am I suppose to know if that is the best way or the correct way?

Nevermind :D

1312 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
LGLab says

And another thing. People are not allowed to use items that infringe copyright laws. Yet I see previews of files using videos from YouTube, example a song of world known artist. That is allowed ? I understand that the main file does not make use of that song, but still.

Where does it say that this infringes copyright laws?

The YouTube Terms and conditions allows “the sale or distribution of any device that contains or runs an API Client”.

Also, as 50 said, when a user uploads a video to YouTube, he has the option to allow anyone to embed the video using the YouTube API . Not sure if you’ve ever used the YouTube API , but you can’t actually “include” any YouTube videos in the download files ;-)

+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

I am referring to most assets. Don’t get blocked up on YouTube. There are a lot of things that are vaguely described.

Also, there are a lot of good resources on the internet. Why not make a editable by author wiki ? Where authors can for example add a 590×300 image and a link toward free resources that we can all use.

Maybe a FAQ topic on the wiki. I am not just referring to YouTube and PHP , I’m saying that there are a tone of missing pieces of information in our WIKI that could make the forum a cleaner place, rejections less likely to happen, and our lives when developing something and searching for a piece of information much easier.

4247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

There are other things, like how you are suppose to format code, how am I suppose to know what’s the quality standard for a template when it comes to code formatting? My example, in my current template, each major menu and event is on a separate layer. ( Actions related ) I consider that the best way to code in terms of how easy it will be for the user to edit it, but how am I suppose to know if that is the best way or the correct way? Nevermind :D

I can’t say exactly that there is such thing as a conformed way to code that is considered to be the “correct” way. Instead I’ll share my knowledge based on my experience.

By my observations you have been coding in both AS2 and AS3 recently, but I assume that you are currently in the process of migrating completely toward using only AS3 , while becoming ever the more increasingly skilled and experienced with it. In this case, AS2 has its own standards and in the past, coding standards for AS2 were as diverse as there were as many authors. Now, the standards for AS3 coding is a bit more, but not so much more complicated than before.

As far as I know, AS3 code can be placed on many layers, as long as there is only one frame on which those layers of code are placed. In some occasions 2 frames can be allowed. Regarding the use of 2 frames, one frame, presumably the first of the two, can be reserved for loading the file, while the second frame can be used for the rest of the code in that .fla.

In regards to the standards for coding itself, it must be at least neat and readable, must not be messy, and must be explained at least somewhat with code comments. However, there is such a factor as code “style” which exists for most coders among authors. As long as you follow the simple rules as stated above, you are free to code according to your own style and talent.

+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Thanks shucks. ( I am not migrating to any of them, I learned both AS2 and AS3 at the same time. Each component I made helped me learn to make it’s brother in AS3 , so it was a good experience and choice because I now know both AS2 and AS3 , helped me a lot with freelancing ) As this is the first template I am making for the marketplaces, I want to make it as easy as possible for buyers to edit it.

So I made for example 5 layers. Each layer is designed to take care of a specific part of the template. For example. Layer one takes care of the homepage design and page aesthetics resize etc. Layer 2 – Generates the homepage component, layer 3 generates the about component … so on and so forth. Basically making it really easy for users to access each layer, and on each layers frame the actionscript that takes care of that component.

That’s what I wanna try.

by
by
by
by
by
by