7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
themeitsu says

Hey devs, I’m looking for a decent WordPress hosting specifically for ThemeForest demo previews.

I know there were (too) many questions about this issue here on ThemeForest but things change fast and I’m still not sure where to host.

Of course the biggest issue is the price (I’d love to spend less than 10$ monthly, 20$ tops, later as I start earning I’m going to upgrade of course), looks like decent VPS hosts start at 30-40$ monthly (could be less if you want unmanaged one) and shared hostings have quite tight restrictions.

Here are one of the popular, well known and respected hosts that I’ve checked in last couple of days (I hope it’s going to help some folks in the future):

MediaTemple (gs) Grid-Service

- 20$ / mo, - 100 GB Disk Space, - 100 Databases, - 1 TB Transfer / mo, - 2,000 Grid Performance Units, - 30 Concurrent MySQL Connections.

The most expensive plan I could afford, I’m not sure if it will be able to host multiple demo sites & support forums generating, let’s say, 100 000 page views monthly, I know many folks here use (mt), maybe (gs), any input? Also GPUs look shady.

Hostgator Baby Plan

7,96$ / mo - Unlimited Disk Space, - Unlimited Bandwidth, - 100k/250k inodes, - 25 concurrent MySQL connections.

Price rocks, I like the company, they’re quite fast especially in the US, unlimited bandwidth and disk space are also nice to have, but I’m not really sure how these “inodes” work (looks like you can host up to 250k files/databases there and after that they suspend your account, the weirdest part is a standard WP with a theme has around 2000-4000 files and I’m pretty sure they won’t let you to have 100 WP installs on a shared hosting, also I’ve heard of people who exceeded these limits with only a few themes so I’m not really sure how they REALLY count them). Also if you exceed 25 MySQL connections they suspend your account. Harsh.

Host4Geeks SD Plus

$14.47 / mo - 50 GB Disk Space, - 1 TB Bandwidth, - 50 concurrent MySQL connections.

This is fairly unknown and quite fresh company but this semi-dedicated server offer looks really good, also the support is top-notch (I’d say comparable to MediaTemple and much better than Hostgator’s).

I believe I’m over thinking it and even Hostator would be enough (any of you uses it? how many themes?), but I really want to pick the best host possible, because my current one sucks big time.

Thanks for any help, Bart from Themeitsu.

1797 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Any shared account will be able to host at least 3-5+ installations of WP, you shouldn’t worry about that.

If you’re familiar with linux, go with intovps.com, they’re great, but it’s not managed. You won’t find managed VPS for less than some tens of dollars a month.

145 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Cubell says

I’d recommend using a cheap shared hosting for the first month at least, and THEN see if you need/want it to be faster and then upgrade to a VPS. Especially for your first theme. There is no point in overspending when it isn’t necessary. And about the 250k inode limit, that is plenty, in my experience a demo site won’t exceed 20k.

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ChillThemes says

So, my suggestion was flagged, very well, I won’t waste my time.

27 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
samuelthan says

A few things to take into consideration.

1. Who are your target audience ? 2. Where is the majority of your visitors coming from ? Which country. 3. How much would you loss in terms of $$ if your website/web host goes down for 1hour or 1 day ?

That will help you get started to pick which VPS hosting company. Obviously you wanna pick one which is closer to what you answered in question 1 and 2.

Then you think about how much you willing to spend.

There are more question to be ask like, how many unique visitors you ge per day and per month. What kind of bandwidth are you serving per month.

That will narrow down what type of VPS you will consider.

371 posts Design Innovation
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
designova says

We are currently usinge GS from (mt) and we have 16 theme previews running there, 6 of them are WordPress themes. At present this hosting package is perfectly working for our requirements. Nice up-time specs and good support team from our experience till this far. We have not exceeded the bandwidth in any month, mostly 70% of 1024000.00 MB will be the monthly bandwidth usage. In case if it exceeds they will charge for extra usage – means our site will never be suspended in that case. If bandwidth exceeds by a significant scale then we will upgrade to a bigger plans on (mt).

We think it will be a nice option for your theme previews. If you are finding it heavy for startup, you may also consider Hostgator packages. Both (mt) and hostgator are good.

1832 posts
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+13 more
SamBerson says

I’m using Vidahost, based in the UK.

426 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
SimpleSites4U says

Its may seem a little ‘ghetto’ but iv had nothing but a great experience with bluehost pro, so I would certainly recommend them to anyone

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

MediaTemple GS is great to start with. There is really a huge amount of strain on your server during first two days after you lunch your theme, and GS seems to manage it great. During the launch of my last theme I had some database connection issues, few times during the day, but they only lasted one or two minutes, and my theme was very database-heavy (lots of complicated queries). If you intend to launch two themes at one time, you would probably need something more powerful, but still launching two themes at a time is not a good idea. Other than that, GS will handle multiple WordPress demos without a hitch, and you shouldn’t hit any limits. Maybe unless your theme is so popular that it sells a thousand times a month, but then you will be able to afford any hosting. :)

40 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
maskeenan says

I firstly used cheap shared hosting to handle my demo purposes, but then I received many notification from my hosting provider to upgrade it since themeforest had delivered many visitor, and then I migrated it and I now using VPS from servint, they provide me good support.

by
by
by
by
by
by