9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
c_huntley says
duotive said
:) Good luck going against the system. :)

Starting with my battle against duotive ;)

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says
skyer2000 said
duotive said
:) Good luck going against the system. :)
Starting with my battle against duotive ;)

:) No battle :) We are in a friendly relationship :D

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Vast majority of hosting providers is using apache + fastcgi which basicly means apache only takes care of serving static content.

Whenever a php script must be executed, it uses fastcgi protocol to communicate with another server which spawns a certain numbers of php process

Using php to serve images causes unnecessary overhead because apache throughput is utterly faster and only use a fraction of the cpu/memory required by a php process to do the same thing.

What some authors find convenient it turns to be a waste of server resources which can cause severe slowdowns on busy sites.

2063 posts
Landonw says
bitfade said
Vast majority of hosting providers is using apache + fastcgi which basicly means apache only takes care of serving static content.

Whenever a php script must be executed, it uses fastcgi protocol to communicate with another server which spawns a certain numbers of php process

Using php to serve images causes unnecessary overhead because apache throughput is utterly faster and only use a fraction of the cpu/memory required by a php process to do the same thing.

What some authors find convenient it turns to be a waste of server resources which can cause severe slowdowns on busy sites.

I have to agree here- WordPress has a nice system in place, no reason to replace it.

9 posts
c_huntley says

I worked on creating javascript to avoid timthumb but of course ran into some last second issues. I was able to select any element that was using timthumb to hijack it, then replace it with the normal image url. Then depending on if it was a background image or actual image I modified the background-size and CSS clip property.

It works fine on basic pages, but when preloaders get mixed in I can’t get it to function properly.

I’m not sure if it can be modified enough to work with all templates, so I’m going to stop working on it. I guess I’ll just plan on spending extra time removing timthumb from all templates I purchase, and swap in build-in Wordpress functions.

Themeforest admins, I hope you are reading this thread.

496 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says
skyer2000 said
I worked on creating javascript to avoid timthumb but of course ran into some last second issues. I was able to select any element that was using timthumb to hijack it, then replace it with the normal image url. Then depending on if it was a background image or actual image I modified the background-size and CSS clip property.

It works fine on basic pages, but when preloaders get mixed in I can’t get it to function properly.

I’m not sure if it can be modified enough to work with all templates, so I’m going to stop working on it. I guess I’ll just plan on spending extra time removing timthumb from all templates I purchase, and swap in build-in Wordpress functions.

Themeforest admins, I hope you are reading this thread.
try using mod_rewrite rule, it should be a lot simpler.
9 posts
c_huntley says

I’m not sure mod_rewrite could do a lot of the things I had to calculate in the script. Maybe some more eyes could help:

https://github.com/skyer2000/Anti-timthumb

It currently only works for landscaped images. It properly crops and centers images vertically, but it currently does not center background-images vertically.

2 posts
  • Located in South Africa
sharedearth says

The most important reason why I avoid themes which use timthumb now is because timthumb images are not compatible with FTP /self-hosted/Rackspace CDN . That is a very big problem.

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says
sharedearth said
The most important reason why I avoid themes which use timthumb now is because timthumb images are not compatible with FTP /self-hosted/Rackspace CDN . That is a very big problem.

You can allow external domains so it should work with CDNs

by
by
by
by
by
by