28 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
ronaldnztan says

I was wondering if any of the active sells on ThemeForest be interested in developing themes for a new CMS called “Koken”? It was made by the team who brought the SlideShowPRO to popularity. I used to buy several stock Flash templates at ActiveDen, and lately the AD community is “dead” due to lack of interest in Flash templates.

Information on the Koken CMS is here: http://koken.me/.

Here is the link for theme designers: http://koken.me/designers/.

If you’re used to create WordPress themes, I think the creation of Koken themes are similar: http://help.koken.me/customer/portal/topics/375567-theme-development/articles.

The learning curve for coding is a huge step for me and I don’t have the time to learn advanced coding—my primary occupation is a photographer. I don’t how to “read” code and customize CSS little bit here and there by using the Element Inspector.

If WordPress Theme authors could create a functional and stylistic photography site like “CEPHAS” entirely made with Koken, I think there is a substantial market for the theme designers from photographers like myself. The site “CEPHAS” was made by Taiwanese coder for the Taiwanese fashion designers. The Koken-made website look superb: http://www.becephas.com.

Envato already has a “Custom” CMS section already and you could sell Koken themes on here. Since I already have an Envato account, I would not mind making purchases here in the Envato marketplace.

To the WordPress and Responsive Site Developers: do you feel it will be worthwhile for you to create and sell themes for the new CMS?

3434 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I was looking at Koken the other day and thought it looked like something interesting to experiment with. Haven’t had much time to give it a thorough test drive though.

Has it gained a lot of traction in the photographer community?

28 posts
ronaldnztan says

From my understanding, it is new new, like when WordPress was new back in the day and now look at it. Several TF authors like Peerapong or Kreisi have made a great income selling WP themes here.

As a prospective buyer, I am more curious what the authors who are earning their primary source of income from selling themes. Would it be practical for you to sell to photographers like me.

To address your question, Koken is starting to receive attention. The current version is at 0.7.1 and the next major update 0.8.0 is forthcoming.

Again, from my elementary research, Koken has its own language that looks exactly like HTML.

If anyone has created successful Koken themes like the Cephas website. I WOULD LOVE TO BE YOUR CUSTOMER!!! :-)

I like stock templates, because for about 50 USD or less, I could have a functional site and if I get bored, I could simply purchase another and not break my bank.

Yours respectfully,

Ron

I was looking at Koken the other day and thought it looked like something interesting to experiment with. Haven’t had much time to give it a thorough test drive though. Has it gained a lot of traction in the photographer community?
3434 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

As a prospective buyer, I am more curious what the authors who are earning their primary source of income from selling themes. Would it be practical for you to sell to photographers like me.

What I meant was that, as an author, I’m looking into whether it makes sense to develop for Koken. The main factor there is its user base. If the user base is large enough, it’s practical to sell stock themes. But obviously the stock theme business is a volume business; so if there isn’t enough volume, it may not be practical (at least until it picks up momentum).

I’m not seeing any download statistics (which makes sense for a relatively new platform), but it looks promising :)

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

Looks pretty interesting, i’ll give it a try and play with it. The lightroom integration could be a great plus for photographers, which is the main market target. I’m missing some special features (like more advanced js functionality) on sample themes. Seems promising!

28 posts
ronaldnztan says

From one I have read with my elementary understanding, Koken could be extended via plugins: http://help.koken.me/customer/portal/topics/395519-plugins. Here are the themes that came native with Koken and the huge majority are responsive adapting down to the mobiles. I thought it was cool! http://demo.koken.me/.

I am remain hopeful that some TF authors will make themes for Koken and sell it on the Envato market place.

Looks pretty interesting, i’ll give it a try and play with it. The lightroom integration could be a great plus for photographers, which is the main market target. I’m missing some special features (like more advanced js functionality) on sample themes. Seems promising!
548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kriskorn says

I am going to have a look at Koken tomorrow. If it doesn’t have a big learning curve, then I might release a theme.

111 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
FranklinM2 says

I played around with koken a few weeks ago and I have to say it looks very promising. The UI is excellent. I haven’t gotten to the point of creating a theme with it though. I would love to see some stats about the platforms and what not.

28 posts
ronaldnztan says

Thank you Franklin.

For any developers interested in knowing about the inner-workings of Koken, please consider writing to the three developers who came up with Koken: Todd Dominey, Brad Daily, or Lauren Smith at the contact section of the Koken website.

If you’re active on WordPress or HTML theme creation for creative/photographer portfolios, please considering making a “Koken” conversion version with similar theme and UI control of WP themes.

As a buyer, I am excited to see the amazing creativity, style, and practical functionality the ThemeForest author community will craft with Koken.

Yours respectfully,

Ronald

I played around with koken a few weeks ago and I have to say it looks very promising. The UI is excellent. I haven’t gotten to the point of creating a theme with it though. I would love to see some stats about the platforms and what not.
1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Netherlands
WebDen says

I installed Koken already for a friend of mine. She loved it. I was looking in the code already, but haven’t found the time to create something. Will do definitely look into it when i have some hours to spare and hopefully create something nice :)

by
by
by
by
by
by