28 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
ronaldnztan says

I hope you guys won’t break my wallet. I have already purchased a lot of WP and Flash (remember that?!) themes here. :-)

If anyone started reading our thread, Koken just updated to 0.8.2 with new major improvements and features. At the coding level, it is foreign language to me. But the folks here with extensive coding background will understanding all the changes and improvements at the syntax level.

Because of Koken’s new presence, there isn’t any vast sites that comes to mind, when I think of “quality” and “style” combined. The website called “Cephas” comes to mind: http://www.becephas.com.

I don’t know how complex it is to convert one of your highest selling WP themes into Koken. I don’t know how practical would that be. I have seen several WP authors making HTML templates of their WP themes and vice versa.

I can’t wait to see what the creative and talented coders will make with Koken.

Yours respectfully,

Ron

I installed Koken already for a friend of mine. She loved it. I was looking in the code already, but haven’t found the time to create something. Will do definitely look into it when i have some hours to spare and hopefully create something nice :)
2678 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

There’s huge potential with Koken themes just as RonaldNTan suggests. We’ve actually got some authors working on some Koken themes for ThemeForest as we speak but we would like more authors to create more Koken themes! If any ThemeForest authors reading this might be interested in a paid opportunity to create Koken themes, please see our announcement and full details here.

We look forward to hearing from you! :)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
tjk911 says

I’m 16-days late, hopefully I’m not violating some terms on commenting on older threads, but I’d like to chime-in and say that I’ve helped a few photographers install Koken as a test drive, and myself just migrated from Wordpress to Koken.

I’d love to buy a nice customized theme. WordPress isn’t as intuitive when it comes to managing photos, and a lot of the themes available requires a lot of manual – and sometimes – clunky linking between photos and pages for things to work.

Koken, on that front, does a great job.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
hamiltoncody says

I personally think that if someone where to develop a theme similar to the AphotoFolio DesignX design and priced it right it would sell like crazy! I would maybe be interested in personally commissioning someone to make it for me if anyone wants to!

28 posts
ronaldnztan says

If the author sells it here, it will be a win-win for everyone involved. Look at the Peerapong and Kreisi. They made 1 million in sales from WordPress. Even with commissioned factored in, the authors made good money, enough to save it for a rainy day.

From a consumer, I like the template model because for 40-50 USD, I could have a fully functional website that won’t break my wallet. I certainly do NOT care that there are bazillion other sites that look like mine! My work (visual style) is unique on its own that separates my work from other photographer or artisans alike.

I personally think that if someone where to develop a theme similar to the AphotoFolio DesignX design and priced it right it would sell like crazy! I would maybe be interested in personally commissioning someone to make it for me if anyone wants to!
2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
hamiltoncody says

I agree Ronald. Koken has some great potential but I haven’t been able to get it where I think it would need to be to be a viable contender theme wise in the advertising photography world were AphotoFolio is becoming the standard. If someone were to code a theme with similar usability and the ability to make some tweaks in the Koken backend I think it would be a hit! Lets find someone to make it happen! I wish I had the skills I would be all over it!

If the author sells it here, it will be a win-win for everyone involved. Look at the Peerapong and Kreisi. They made 1 million in sales from WordPress. Even with commissioned factored in, the authors made good money, enough to save it for a rainy day.

From a consumer, I like the template model because for 40-50 USD, I could have a fully functional website that won’t break my wallet. I certainly do NOT care that there are bazillion other sites that look like mine! My work (visual style) is unique on its own that separates my work from other photographer or artisans alike.

28 posts
ronaldnztan says

I wanted to share another link from “AgencyAccess.” This is a company where us photographers often buy a database of contact information for clients. The topic is surrounding “Template Sits Vs. Custom Sites.” I LOVE, LOVE TF, because the templates are affordable and if I wanted a new “skin” for my website in 3 months , I don’t have to dread about spending 40+-ish on a well-designed theme purchases here.

Here is the link: http://lab.agencyaccess.com/blog/bid/34347/Template-vs-Custom-Websites-The-Great-Debate-Part-2.

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is concerning full-screen images and responsive site design. Full-Screen sites look great, but the image has to be landscape or sometimes architectural to work. Please, please, if you’re making a full-screen site, make it so that there is an OPTION to preserve and respect the photographer’s composition. When the user resizes the browser, make that image change proportionately, without cropping anything out. It is OK to have negative space (black bars) around the image for this purpose.

An effective website is one that knows its core purpose, which is to show art buyers your images. To do that, you need to showcase imagery above all else, make it easy and straightforward to find your way around and show your brand identity. Those are the things buyers are looking for, regardless of whether it’s a template or your own design. – See more at: http://lab.agencyaccess.com/blog/bid/34347/Template-vs-Custom-Websites-The-Great-Debate-Part-2#sthash.cTaS6r21.dpuf

When searching for “Koken” in the TF, I only see three templates. I would like to see more Koken themes.

9 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LongBraid says

Thanks, Ronald, for the things you wrote. It’s a very valuable contribute for me, because as a theme designer I need the point of view of a photographer.

I’m designing a new theme for Koken right now, trying to concentrate on the main aim of a photography website: the photos. Recently Koken introduced many improvements and I’m eager to use the new features.

Designing and coding a new theme won’t be easy, especially when trying to submit a theme to ThemeForest, because the trend now is about sparkly effects, movements, etc… I’m not complaining, I love challenges!

Thank you, V

1036 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

The Koken license seems like it may hold the platform back. It restricts the use of Koken for web services, so any type of paid membership site would not be possible.

PERMITTED USE

Koken may be used to publish websites and related content engaging in personal, commercial, non-commercial or non-profit activity.

RESTRICTIONS

Unless you have been granted written consent from Dominey Design Inc., you may not:

• Use the Software as the basis of a hosted web site publishing service.
  • Reproduce, distribute, transfer or sub-license the Software, or portions thereof, to any third party.
  • Sell, rent, lease, assign or sublet the Software or portions thereof.
  • Use the Software in violation of any United States or international law or regulation.

I might be misinterpreting this information, but based on what I’m reading that may be a limitation that stunts the growth of this application. Is it saying you can’t create a web hosting service, like wordpress.com using Koken, or is this restricting any type of paid membership service? Seems to be a custom license so I guess I would need clarification.

28 posts
ronaldnztan says

Let’s NOT talk about these things. Legal issues and logistics should be directly corresponded with the Dominey Designs, the company of Mr. Todd Dominey (the creator of SlideShowPRO and the head developer of KOKEN).

Also keep in mind that KOKEN came out last year. I was one of the lucky one to be included in the first private (closed) batch of beta testing. I think about six months or so later, the public beta was opened to everyone who wants to test it out and help find bugs.

Compare that to WORDPRESS—in its 10th year now?! With millions and millions of people making a LIVING with WordPress from the how to guides to themes. This TF site makes money from the commission of WP authors.

The point I am making is this: Koken is only a BABY (compared to WP). Let it grow and evolve like WP. If you have formal logistic questions, it is better to contact Todd, Brad, or Lauren directly (they are afterall the only three develops I am aware of that is making bug fixes and debugging KOKEN).

The purpose of this thread I created to to encourage and ask the TF coders to consider making themes for KOKEN. I know you meant well with your thoughts; however it is beyond the scope of this thread.

The Koken license seems like it may hold the platform back. It restricts the use of Koken for web services, so any type of paid membership site would not be possible.
PERMITTED USE

Koken may be used to publish websites and related content engaging in personal, commercial, non-commercial or non-profit activity.

RESTRICTIONS

Unless you have been granted written consent from Dominey Design Inc., you may not:

• Use the Software as the basis of a hosted web site publishing service.
  • Reproduce, distribute, transfer or sub-license the Software, or portions thereof, to any third party.
  • Sell, rent, lease, assign or sublet the Software or portions thereof.
  • Use the Software in violation of any United States or international law or regulation.
I might be misinterpreting this information, but based on what I’m reading that may be a limitation that stunts the growth of this application. Is it saying you can’t create a web hosting service, like wordpress.com using Koken, or is this restricting any type of paid membership service? Seems to be a custom license so I guess I would need clarification.
by
by
by
by
by
by