308 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
BittLoader says

I got one of my themes disabled because “it was reported by a customer” – a page didn’t look good on the mobile / iphone mode.

I lost 2 days with no sales because the customer didn’t contact me directly for that issue and the item was disabled – i was out of town and didn’t know the theme was disabled. Once i fixed the issue (spent only a few mins to fix that css issue), i uploaded the new files as update on the ThemeForest and now there are 2 days since i’m waiting for this update approval to get the theme back.

Finally there are 4 days lost – no sales for this item – because a customer didn’t contact me for an issue but reported the theme, and the theme was directly disabled and i think i will need to wait another 1-2 days until the theme will be back on the portfolio.

But… my question is… do i need to “pay” so much for a small issue like that??

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

On one hand I do agree that due to the theme not being exactly as stated it should have to be changed.

But on the other hand, no you shouldn’t have been punished so much for such a small thing, I’m sure if you knew about the issue you’d be able to sort it and say to the customer that it’s being uploaded / give them the Style change.

308 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
BittLoader says

I agree with you and i’m glad the theme is now again available for sale. Hope other people can see this thread and before reporting a theme as ‘not working’ to double check the item description, the preview, the documentation, contact the author if something is still wrong or unclear and only if he doesn’t respond in 24h to have the item reported.

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Even after reporting an item it shouldn’t just be blocked straight away, support should contact you saying “Somethings wrong with your item <item name> you need to change <this and this>” and go from there, possibly a notice should be giving to potential buyers about an upcoming bug fix and such

281 posts Premium Website Design
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
ThemeFusion says

A top seller theme was disabled since 3 days. I don’t know the exact reason but I can only hope that it was a small issue since it was a top seller. What is TF going to do now to help the theme author? A whole bunch of nothing is unacceptable.

A theme selling 150 copies per week is no longer in the top seller lists because they were disabled and because of that they’ll lose a lot more sales.

It is really depressing ….

TF team should only hand out warnings to any author and only disable their themes if author is not being responsive. TF simply stole money from that particular author and Envato.

Collis / staff responsible for it should immediately revise their policy about disabling themes. It is highly unacceptable.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hi guys,

The community team has brought this thread to my attention, apologies for the delay. I can understand the frustration and there’s been some discussion around this to improve the process, but ultimately what it comes down to is that if an item isn’t working as it should be then in most cases it needs to be disabled. This is primarily because buyers would be purchasing a broken item and potentially requesting refunds.

As authors it’s your responsibility to make sure your items work as described every time they’re uploaded or updated. This is the same principle used in physical retail stores.

That said, we are thinking about improvements that would better facilitate this process so there would be less effects to authors and buyers.

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

s**t just happens, no matter how well you test your code, any dev knows that and envato sites themselves are not bug free. That’s the main reason why we do update our items afterall, even without buyers notifying support.

Hard to believe ms would stop selling their products each time a bug is spotted. A warning mail instead of an immediate soft reject would gain the same effect.

3335 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

s**t just happens, no matter how well you test your code, any dev knows that and envato sites themselves are not bug free. That’s the main reason why we do update our items afterall, even without buyers notifying support. Hard to believe ms would stop selling their products each time a bug is spotted. A warning mail instead of an immediate soft reject would gain the same effect.

+ no reviews for updates we should be allow to have an immediate fix for files if theres a bug.

1. theres no reason someone should wait 1-2 days(or more) for a bug fix when its just sitting in the queue.
  2. if the author has the file already excepted they should be trusted enough not to do nasty things in the code
  3. it frees up the reviewers time to focus on other things
442 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Jaynesh says

Hi guys,

The community team has brought this thread to my attention, apologies for the delay. I can understand the frustration and there’s been some discussion around this to improve the process, but ultimately what it comes down to is that if an item isn’t working as it should be then in most cases it needs to be disabled. This is primarily because buyers would be purchasing a broken item and potentially requesting refunds.

As authors it’s your responsibility to make sure your items work as described every time they’re uploaded or updated. This is the same principle used in physical retail stores.

That said, we are thinking about improvements that would better facilitate this process so there would be less effects to authors and buyers.

Disabling the entire theme is absolutely ridiculous. >:(

You aren’t helping anybody by disabling the entire theme. You are actually causing even more problems, not just for the authors but also for the buyers.

I have a better solution. If a theme has some bugs, display a notice at the top alerting the user that the theme currently has a few bugs and is awaiting an update. People can buy at their own risk. Problem solved.

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
jk000jk says

Hi guys,

Disabling the entire theme is absolutely ridiculous. >:(

You aren’t helping anybody by disabling the entire theme. You are actually causing even more problems, not just for the authors but also for the buyers.

I have a better solution. If a theme has some bugs, display a notice at the top alerting the user that the theme currently has a few bugs and is awaiting an update. People can buy at their own risk. Problem solved.

I think authors should just test their work better, css/html/jquery is not C to say that bugs are inevitable. Also the few WP functions is not php and jQuery not Javascript.

by
by
by
by
by
by