Theme Evolution: The One Feature That You Could Offer That Would Make Me Your "Customer For Life".

13 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
studioself says

Today My Theme Feels So ”Yesterday”. When I purchased my theme a year ago it featured the latest, greatest and sexiest styles. The functionality was perfect. But now, it’s old news and it looks like I have to buy the one of the developers newer themes to keep my site current.

Now I could go on all day about why it’s important to stay current – but as theme developers you know them all. So I won’t. I am going to share with you the thread that I shared with my current theme developer – pointing out the fact that I would rather have an “evolution” every month over a “revolution” every year. It follows:

Developer* One can almost see the evolution of web standards in your catalog. This is in a compliment – I believe that you at Developer* are some of the best WP (and certainly the best Buddypress) developers around. But this fact also points out the problem: You may “upgrade” and support your themes as Wordpress (and the web) changes, but you don’t EVOLVE the themes. The differences between your first WP theme Name* – and your most recent – Name* are absolutely massive.

It seems to me that If I want the latest and greatest Developer* has to offer (in offering my visitors the best experience possible) I have to buy Developer* themes as they are released. I purchased ThisTheme* a while ago and I feel like it could/should be overhauled to meet the web standards of today. It seems to me that Developer* will only be offering WP compatibility fixes in the form of newer versions.

ThisTheme* was cool a couple years ago and today I feel like I have to buy NewTheme* to replace it. It’s going to be an incredible amount of work. My website is going to be up, down and everything in between during the process. I could go on all day about the headaches of completely overhauling my Wordpress+Multisite+Buddypress+BBPress website, but I won’t. I just wonder why I am being forced to do it now, and unless Developer* policies change – again sooner rather than later.

205 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
biyanpasau says

Buddy, please change your avatar. It’s mine.

277 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
girlscancode says

Hi studioself,

So what you’re saying is that for $45 per theme the WordPress developers here should provide not only updates in which they fix bugs, adapt the theme to the latest WP etc, but also design improvements?

3568 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I don’t want you to be my customer for life. If you need another theme, just buy a different theme. It’s too little for you to pay $55 for a theme and expect to have that theme for your entire career. It’s just too little.

585 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
AlexFjord says

This is hilarious! You know how much custom built site would cost right? Even with one of those you would not get regular “evolutions” so for $45 anyone should be grateful they get a working wP theme as is let alone ongoing modifications.

I appreciate you have tried to be polite in your post but “ThisTheme* was cool a couple years ago and today I feel like I have to buy NewTheme* to replace it. It’s going to be an incredible amount of work. My website is going to be up, down and everything in between during the process. ” – I assure you the “incredible amount of work” involved in creating the theme in the first place was more, as would be the case for the author to update it to the latest technology and while this would mean you get a brand new updated site the author gets nothing. I am not sure why your site would need to be “up, down, and everything” in the process if you construct it on a test site then just move it over it will only be down for a very limited period of time.

As policy her estates you buy “as is” and there is zero guarantee of support, updates or otherwise (even if many author do provide this), surely you can see why the suggestion is unfair on the authors i.e. those people that made the effort to save buyer literally thousands of $ in the first place?

P.s there is nothing stopping you hiring a freelancer from here (maybe even the author) to make modifications and updates as required. That would be the fairest way of doing it as this way everyone wins – you get your updated site and the author/freelancer gets the incentive/reward due to them and even then it will all work out massively cheaper than a custom built site

272 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

At first I thought it was you posting a question.

13 posts
studioself says

I knew when I went to bed last night that I should hop back on here to clarify ideas on payment. Simply: I would pay be happy to pay a membership/upgrade cost for a theme that never went out of style. I have a membership with a company who supplies a specialized set of plugins (and themes – but mostly plugins) for WP. They always update keep the plugins up to date. They also have themes but they don’t keep those up to date. I have not found a single company that offers themes that evolve with the times but I have found plenty that offer plugins that do.

164 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Europe
Cara_design says

For what it’s worth that system of updates to themes could never work here as envato don’t own the files and authors have the right to remove or drop updating of a file whenever they feel like it so there is no way for the system to ensure on going modification.

You really cannot compare themes and plugins – the difference in the amount of work that goes into creating them originally is huge let alone the amount of work involved in “updating” an entire theme to up to date web standards and technology over tweaking a plugin to comply. It maybe that some themes are not built for new tech and to update them would be a colossal job where are the simpler natures of a plugins code (in general) is far easier to tweak and adapt.

I am afraid this is all why you have yet to or ever will likely find a site (at least not one with more than a handful of top quality designs) that operate sin this system.

13 posts
studioself says

For what it’s worth that system of updates to themes could never work here as envato don’t own the files and authors have the right to remove or drop updating of a file whenever they feel like it so there is no way for the system to ensure on going modification.

You really cannot compare themes and plugins – the difference in the amount of work that goes into creating them originally is huge let alone the amount of work involved in “updating” an entire theme to up to date web standards and technology over tweaking a plugin to comply. It maybe that some themes are not built for new tech and to update them would be a colossal job where are the simpler natures of a plugins code (in general) is far easier to tweak and adapt.

I am afraid this is all why you have yet to or ever will likely find a site (at least not one with more than a handful of top quality designs) that operate sin this system.

It’s kind of sad to know, but thank you for informing me. I appreciate your well articulated take on the situation. It’s makes sense and is a contribution to the forums – as opposed to some of the other responses here.

205 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
biyanpasau says

At first I thought it was you posting a question.

He’s the Black&White of me. Version 1.0. Totally copy.

by
by
by
by
by
by