27 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
BioXD says

I´ve been reading the forum and i know i´m not the only one who has issues with the way template reviews are handled. While some good designs are rejected for what looks like personal preferences of the reviewers, other lower quality stuff gets accepted with no questions asked.

For example, on my latest WP submission i tried an unusual style for the headers & date where depending on the size of the title, the metadata gets pushed below the header or floats to it’s left. Personally, i really like how it works and find it quite clever, i actually took the idea from one of my favourite designers, Veerle Pieters , however, the reviewer seemed to have problems with it for not looking standard.

Anyway, i´m not writing this to whine about how my designs get rejected, the point is the whole subject of reviews just seems really subjective at the moment and it causes a lot of unnecesary friction between authors and the TF Team.

What i`m proposing here is for the Envato team to define the rules of the game. What`s the max width fpr a site? Are widget areas a requirement? What does “polished” or “better aestethics” mean when i go to the home page and see accepted themes that i wouldn´t take for free for my blog?.

I think yoo guys should consider creating some documented guidelines that stablish a starting point for authors, and upon wich reviewers can base their decisions. I don´t think we need better or more professional reviews like other threads have suggested because that is subjective as well, but i do think we need to know we are all being qualified with the same standards.

Since i´m on the subject, i think you should also consider having reviewers moved to areas where they don´t have items for sale. I think that is a conflict of interests and might raise some extra doubts about the objectiveness of the reviews.

364 posts Onuro
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeKioken says

Agree. Looking at the active forum topics, almost half of them are about themes rejected and this shows that many of us are trying things sometimes without knowing if what we do fits the possible guidelines or not.

I’ve seen authors that are unaware of IE6 rule (which is not stated until an author posts frustration of theme rejection) on HTML templates, and unaware of wp 2.7 threaded comments compatibility rule (same goes for this one).

These rules I could catch are only a few of bits and pieces around the forums posted by reviewers and we wouldn’t know about these until our theme gets rejected.

At least those rules should be listed within the upload rules.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Firstly, the IE6 rule should be common sense. If you’re building a corporate template, why would you neglect 15-20% of your audience? Doing so is simply unprofessional, in my opinion.

Secondly, we do our absolute best when reviewing. In fact, I think we do a fantastic job. The people who usually complain about the review process are the same ones who are rejected.

@BioXD – In your case, I agree with the reviewer. Your template is nice and cute, but it doesn’t stand out as a PREMIUM template. The system isn’t perfect; so sometimes, less than stellar templates sneak their way through. This is just a part of the business when you’re working with dozens of reviewers who each have their own viewpoint.

This notion that a reviewer shouldn’t be allowed to offer his opinion is ridiculous. We hired these reviewers because we know we can trust their judgment.

Do you think it’s any different in another field? Is a band not at the mercy of a producer’s opinion? Are photographers on iStock not at the mercy of their reviewing team’s opinion? Of course they are.

It comes down to around 80/20. 80% of the review process is based on error checking, quality, help file, variety, etc. The remaining relies on their seasoned instincts. Our reviewers know what will and will not sell.

171 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
myTheme says

I don’t have any complaints about the reviewers. Just keep the standards high and we all can be happy with the service also in the future. If your template gets rejected, read what the reviewer said about it, fix the issues and submit the template again.

1564 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says
unaware of wp 2.7 threaded comments compatibility rule (same goes for this one).

I don’t think this is a requirement, at least it hasn’t been an issue for myself. There was a thread about it awhile back when 2.7 came out, and think it was decided that it was a personal preference thing.

120 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
cdavidson says
Firstly, the IE6 rule should be common sense. If you’re building a corporate template, why would you neglect 15-20% of your audience? Doing so is simply unprofessional, in my opinion.

its common sense not to think your users know its common sense doing so is simply unprofessional

:P sorry i had to.

15-20% its alot less then that aswell :)

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Actually, it isn’t. Last time I checked the stats, it was right around 15%. Obviously, for a site like Nettuts+, that figure will be MUCH lower.

24 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
NathanCH says

I’m surprised your theme was declined BioXD. I may only have 5 years experience with web designing, but I love it. I’m just looking at some of newest ones and it’s not hard to argue that your theme is better than half of them.

Anyways, I agree with Jeff that it’s common sense to make a site IE6 compatible when it’s a significant portion of the audience. But even if its common sense, how hard would it be to establish a guideline for new users? Not hard.

I can see how it would dramatically increase the quality of themes submitted and also it would help new designers and coders get things correct the first time around rather than getting discouraged because their submission was declined. I think that’s real common sense.

Just my 2 cents =)

27 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
BioXD says
This notion that a reviewer shouldn’t be allowed to offer his opinion is ridiculous. We hired these reviewers because we know we can trust their judgment.

I never said reviewers should not be entitled to their opinion neither i´m complaining about the process, i actually think it is the only way a marketplace like this could work.

All i´m saying is it would be helpful to both parties if you guys could provide the authors with some basic parameters that help you reach the decision on an item. You would deal with less complains and probably better submissions and we would have an easier time making items that fit the criteria.

217 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
CreativeStable says

I agree there needs to be more basic rules laid out. One of my files got rejected because it was “too large” (filesize)... but I cannot find anywhere where it says what the max size is. I even posted a topic but got no replies… haven’t resubmitted anything since then.

Amy

by
by
by
by
by
by