• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Completely agreed, brother. I submitted 2 themes so far (I’ll admit, they weren’t the best, but definitely a bit better than some on here) and got the exact same stock answer for both themes with some points that didn’t even apply to my themes! It shows how careless the reviewer was, that he didn’t even the will to write a brief but accurate explanation of why my theme was rejected.

On the other hand, I have submitted a text style to Graphic River, and got an absolutely perfect reply about why it was rejected. It was brief, but to the point which actually made me want to fix what was suggested.

This shows that some reviewers could not care less about what’s submitted, they just reject everything whenever they feel like it with no explanation (yet they only review several items a day… uhm?) while others actually take the time to provide constructive criticism.

Also, what’s considered “good aesthetics”? There are plenty of themes on TF that are basically made ALL in CSS , with maybe one image for a logo and terrible typography.

Which brings me to my final point, different designs (PSD vs HTML vs Wordpress) get different reviewers (I’m not sure on this, feel free to correct me.), with some being more lenient than others.

That’s all I have to say, thanks,

Phoenix Zero :)

353 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
al_m473 says

just try to look at nettuts with ie6, ain’t pretty

Al

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
Siddharta says

I think that a reviewer should present some good arguments while rejecting an html/wordpress/whatever theme.

If the staff is on the “I’m not obligated by anything to tell you why I rejected your theme” side, then you could easily say: YES YOU ARE ! The owners of Themeforest DO get money from your templates people. So… it would be more than logical to be entitled to a brief explanation. Not the same old copy-pasted c*rap

Oh, and I forgot, nice template :)

76 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
g_gilmore says

I find some of the people’s attitudes in here ridiculous.

The reviewers have no obligation to write a detailed explanation as to why the theme was rejected, you should be thankful you get anything more than a one line reply (which you’ll get from many other stock sites). They aren’t your teachers, they are reviewers. They shouldn’t have to explain to you why your typography is crap, or why your colors/aesthetics don’t work. That is your job AS A DESIGNER to figure out in the first place.

Nobody is here to hold your hand, be a professional. If you don’t produce good work, it won’t be accepted. It’s literally that simple. Stop sucking and you’ll get stuff approved.

Some of your arguments are frustrating at best. There are many successful users here that have sold lots of dollars worth in templates. Maybe it’s not the system that is flawed…

(NOTE: this is by no means directed towards the OP, but directed toward the group of whiners that seem to be creeping up)

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
Siddharta says
I find some of the people’s attitudes in here ridiculous.

The reviewers have no obligation to write a detailed explanation as to why the theme was rejected, you should be thankful you get anything more than a one line reply (which you’ll get from many other stock sites). They aren’t your teachers, they are reviewers. They shouldn’t have to explain to you why your typography is crap, or why your colors/aesthetics don’t work. That is your job AS A DESIGNER to figure out in the first place.

Nobody is here to hold your hand, be a professional. If you don’t produce good work, it won’t be accepted. It’s literally that simple. Stop sucking and you’ll get stuff approved.

Some of your arguments are frustrating at best. There are many successful users here that have sold lots of dollars worth in templates. Maybe it’s not the system that is flawed…

(NOTE: this is by no means directed towards the OP, but directed toward the group of whiners that seem to be creeping up)

This is silly. Some rejected items were indeed professionally built. You cannot deny the fact that the reviewing process is at least 60% subjective.

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

@G_Gilmore – I think I came off a little strong. By all means, I worship this place. This is the perfect place for a designer like me and I wished I would have found out about earlier, but honestly, how can you say we, as designers, are whining when you haven’t uploaded anything?

Please don’t take this as an offense, I’m just trying to provide some backbone for my point of view.

364 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
chrisfay says
The reviewers have no obligation to write a detailed explanation as to why the theme was rejected, you should be thankful you get anything more than a one line reply (which you’ll get from many other stock sites). They aren’t your teachers, they are reviewers.

+1

76 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
g_gilmore says
This is silly. Some rejected items were indeed professionally built. You cannot deny the fact that the reviewing process is at least 60% subjective.
Of course not. Nothing that gets reviewed is objective, that’s impossible. But, as Jeffrey has already alluded to, we are relying on these reviewers’ subjective (and respected) opinions, that’s the whole point.
I think I came off a little strong. By all means, I worship this place. This is the perfect place for a designer like me and I wished I would have found out about earlier, but honestly, how can you say we, as designers, are whining when you haven’t uploaded anything?
No offense taken, don’t worry, and fair enough, I suppose. You could say I haven’t been subjected to the process in the same ways others have. What I have seen, however, is post after post from people complaining that their design was rejected (again, not targeted at OP) when any person with half an eye would see is a poor design. Let me clarify here, just in case, I have no problem with people looking for constructive criticism, that’s what makes a community thrive; but there’s a big difference between complaining and asking for help.
2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

@Siddharta – We do supply multiple reasons when rejecting templates. If a template is FAR from being ready for ThemeForest, we’ll usually just send a form rejection letter. However, if it does have potential, we’ll provide a few key areas that need to be addressed.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

My products (so far) have all been rejected between 1 and 4 times before they were approved for sale in the market… none of my products have been accepted straight away… and I test rigorously for IE6 and other edge-case browsers in addition to passing the designs around to other designers before hitting upload. Most of my products have sold over 50 pieces in their first month, and I count part of that success to the initial rejections that I received.

It’s not a big deal to be rejected – and in most cases, the reviewer will provide more than sufficient feedback to take the next step. Take the rejection notes and use your energy to improve your template and resubmit it – if you didn’t receive enough feedback, then use the Support Ticket system or http://reviewmydesign.net/ .

These rejections are intended to A ) protect the interests of the marketplace, B ) protect the authors from releasing buggy code, which results in pissed off customers and bad reputations, and C ) to help YOU , the author, to sell as much as you possibly can with any one product. A rejection doesn’t mean that your design sucks or that the reviewer hates you – it’s just a step all of us have to go through… even with good (or great) designs.

“but, there’s so many other designs that aren’t as good as mine already for sale!!” – this kind of rhetoric sounds just as subjective as the complaint made about reviewers being subjective… besides, are those designs that supposedly aren’t as good as yours even selling? Your goal here shouldn’t be to release something that’s “just barely better than the worst product available”, it should be to release the highest quality products that you can possibly create.

It’s the reviewers (and Envato’s) prerogative to reject themes that aren’t up to their own objective OR subjective qualifications. In most cases there are clear-cut reasons for a template to be sent back to the designer – either it be code issues or aesthetic issues. But even if the reviewers took it upon themselves to reject all themes with the color pink from now on, they would be within their rights to do so. ThemeForest might crash and burn as a result (knock on wood!), but it’s right there in the fine print folks.

The fact that the reviewers and Jeffrey have been so flexible & willing to listen to the community speaks to an open-minded and intelligent management team. The system, like any system, can be improved (and they have mentioned several times that they are constantly working to improve it), but it’s not broken. The fact is that when compared with actual clients or art directors in the real world, the reviewers here are remarkably quick to respond, easy-going, and helpful. Sure, there are cases where you’ll get a stock rejection letter or vague notes – but there’s plenty of places to get feedback from before there’s a viable reason to start a new complaint thread about the reviewers.

Oh, and IE6 blows, but Jeffrey is spot on – lots of corporations, government institutions, and grandparents still proudly use IE6 as their browser of choice. Be it 5% or 20% of the marketshare, it’s still worth writing a hack-sheet for.

NOTE : this post really is intended to be a respectful counter-point to the comments made so far – the OP’s design is great and I would encourage him to keep working on it until it’s approved and available in the marketplace. I honestly believe that we’re all here to contribute our thoughts to make TF a better place… so whether you agree with me or not, keep that in mind.

by
by
by
by
by
by