131 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
n-media says

Hi Great Authors,

What is the best way to use images in a template?

1) Should we use images in Google and provide those with our templates and write in docs that you can not use images in the template itself and need to replace it with your own images?

2) Or we should add dummy placeholders in our actual zip package?

Please help me out. Thanks.

529 posts Dream big
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Has referred 50+ members
+4 more
pixel-industry says

Well, you can’t just take images from google and place it in your theme… You need an author’s permission to use any image you find on the web and that’s for preview purposes only. My advice is: visit photodune.net or 123rf.com – there are some really nice and really affordable images there, include them in your theme preview, but not in the download files for clients. State in your theme’s description that images are not included. Almost every client will put his own images on their site, so there’s no purpose in including them.. Also, the licence for resale is really expensive.

380 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

I recommend asking some photographers you like for permission to use their images in your demos. Some will allow you others will not. It depends on your style and if they feel like your design do justice to their work. This is how we do.

131 posts
+2 more
n-media says

Well, you can’t just take images from google and place it in your theme… You need an author’s permission to use any image you find on the web and that’s for preview purposes only. My advice is: visit photodune.net or 123rf.com – there are some really nice and really affordable images there, include them in your theme preview, but not in the download files for clients. State in your theme’s description that images are not included. Almost every client will put his own images on their site, so there’s no purpose in including them.. Also, the licence for resale is really expensive.

Thanks for your comment, do we need to purchase an image to use in preview only?

131 posts
+2 more
n-media says

I recommend asking some photographers you like for permission to use their images in your demos. Some will allow you others will not. It depends on your style and if they feel like your design do justice to their work. This is how we do.

Thanks for suggestion :) Do we need to buy that photographer’s images to use in previews only or they can provide us free of cost to use in preview (any agreement like this)?

131 posts
+2 more
n-media says
What if site allow create commons license such as this: http://compfight.com Or sites which allow free photos as this one: http://www.morguefile.com/archive
368 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Envato authors can use watermarked PhotoDune images in their previews, but let’s be honest, no one likes watermarks in previews. With few exceptions, $1 licenses from PhotoDune would be perfect.

Also, you can use CreativeCommons images in previews but be careful cause even CC images come with different specifications (commercial / non-commercial / remix). If you plan to also bundle them in your product, make sure the license allows for redistribution too.

On CC images you might want to make sure with image authors too before hand. Just to be safe. And Google images is ALWAYS a BIG NO.

131 posts
+2 more
n-media says

Envato authors can use watermarked PhotoDune images in their previews, but let’s be honest, no one likes watermarks in previews. With few exceptions, $1 licenses from PhotoDune would be perfect.

Also, you can use CreativeCommons images in previews but be careful cause even CC images come with different specifications (commercial / non-commercial / remix). If you plan to also bundle them in your product, make sure the license allows for redistribution too.

On CC images you might want to make sure with image authors too before hand. Just to be safe. And Google images is ALWAYS a BIG NO.

Great! Thanks for suggestions. One more thing, I do bought lots of shutter stock images in past, can I use those in preview and link their portfolio in descriptions? OR Do I still need to have authors permission for previewing?

368 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

If for those shutterstock images you’ve acquired a license that allows for multiple uses/projects (assuming you’ve already used them in other projects and use to reuse them), I don’t see why not. Also, if they allow it, linking (attribution) might not be necessary with such photo markets. It would be though a nice gesture of appreciation.

It all comes down to really reading the licensing terms start to finish with great attention.

by
by
by
by
by
by