53 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+3 more
ricci_gdf says

I have just read a few kind of threads about this issue, but didn’t found any satisfying or useful informations or methods to do so. Last thread i read was this “In the Woods – Options for Protecting your Theme”, very interesting but not very helpful at all.

What can i personally do to protect my work, is it allowed to put “protection-code” in themes or to use Zend Guard/SourceGuardian?

I thank you in advance for any other suggestions, tipps or tricks.

Best regards Ricci

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Hi Ricci,

You can encrypt or use other methods in your live preview since it’s on your server and leave the actual download files readable and untouched. Personally, I don’t think any of it’s worth the effort and time is better spent catering to users actually willing to pay, but that’s my 2 cents. I’m glad you found the article interesting but sorry to hear you did not find it more helpful. Have a good one! :)

53 posts
+3 more
ricci_gdf says
CreatingDrew said
Hi Ricci, You can encrypt or use other methods in your live preview since it’s on your server and leave the actual download files readable and untouched. Personally, I don’t think any of it’s worth the effort and time is better spent catering to users actually willing to pay, but that’s my 2 cents. I’m glad you found the article interesting but sorry to hear you did not find it more helpful. Have a good one! :)

Hello Drew,

it is a very good article, it is a good guideline for basic protecion, but what i meant is a “bullet-proof” solution against some kind of…you know what i mean, or?! I am a member here on themeforest since about 3 months, and didnt’t released a theme yet. Though i am working on a theme (Magento) for over 3 months now, and i will be submit it for approvement on Monday (i hope so). But in this time i have read all kind of threads, all guidelines and rules etc.; and i realized that this is a great issue.

At the bottom line, i wanted to know how can i protect it overall. And i think protecting live preview makes not much sense, or am i wrong?

Thank you. Ricci

815 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says
ricci_gdf said
it is a very good article, it is a good guideline for basic protecion, but what i meant is a “bullet-proof” solution against some kind of…you know what i mean, or?!

There is no bulletproof protection of something that is publicly visible, e.g. HTML /JavaScript/CSS.

ricci_gdf said
At the bottom line, i wanted to know how can i protect it overall. And i think protecting live preview makes not much sense, or am i wrong?

It depends what do you want to protect. I believe php is fine, while live preview is not (HTML, CSS , etc.)

53 posts
+3 more
ricci_gdf says
rvision_ said

There is no bulletproof protection of something that is publicly visible, e.g. HTML /JavaScript/CSS.

ricci_gdf said
It depends what do you want to protect. I believe php is fine, while live preview is not (HTML, CSS , etc.)

I am going to develope only PHP -Applications (Wordpress/Magento), i think there must be a solution for protection. And at least it depends on what do envato allow? I mean, like Drew said before <”..leave the actual download files readable and untouched.”>, thats clear because the reviewer should actually see and prove the orginal sourcecode.

My thoughts are going in this direction and i have already some ideas, which is, to implement a validation process in themes after purchasing by the buyers. Could that being allowed?

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

What you can do is get the purchase license id and make a validation on your server using verification with the envato API . Than store the activated license on your server so it cannot be activated more than once. To be more clear here are the steps:

Application Blocked
User inputs the purchase serial number
You call an application on your website that calls the envato api and checks the purchase code
if false return an error message
if true check if the purchase code has been activated before with your app
if it was not activated add it to the activated list and activate the clients product

simple and bulletproof in my mind. correct me if i am wrong.

321 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
squaredWeb says
duotive said
What you can do is get the purchase license id and make a validation on your server using verification with the envato API . Than store the activated license on your server so it cannot be activated more than once. To be more clear here are the steps:

Application Blocked
You call an application on your website that calls the envato api and checks the purchase code
if it was not activated add it to the activated list and activate the clients product

Sort of the same approach many PC Games have and a quick “Game x Torrent” Google search says still not bulletproof but a nightmare for customers (The TF customer who wants to switch servers, the TF customer who wants one development version on his PC and one live version on his server and the TF Reseller who needs to activate the theme to make some changes for his customer all go nuts).

53 posts
+3 more
ricci_gdf says
duotive said

Application Blocked

Hello duotive,

i like your suggestion, thank you very much. Thats a very good idea, i’ll try to code a protection-app as you described (+ Zend Guard encoding of this special piece of code) and implement it. But i am going to ask envato-staff before i give it a try, not sure if this will be allowed.

Thank you.

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

As the HTML obfuscation topic came to the scene…

Speaking as a buyer, I would never buy (and never have) a theme, whose source code is unreadable – if you are buying an HTML template, you are buying not only the design, but mainly the HTML /CSS code. I want to be sure that the coding is well crafted and the template is easy to be modified.

If you select to obfuscate the code, I believe it’s a good idea to screenshot some parts of the code – for example the most important parts – those which determine the flexibility and the ease of customizing.

53 posts
+3 more
ricci_gdf says
cmt said
As the HTML obfuscation topic came to the scene…

Speaking as a buyer, I would never buy (and never have) a theme, whose source code is unreadable – if you are buying an HTML template, you are buying not only the design, but mainly the HTML /CSS code. I want to be sure that the coding is well crafted and the template is easy to be modified.

If you select to obfuscate the code, I believe it’s a good idea to screenshot some parts of the code – for example the most important parts – those which determine the flexibility and the ease of customizing.

I am not talking about to obfuscate the complete code, thats nonsense, nor about HTML templates (PHP Applications)! What i have talked about is to implement a code (a special piece of code which is implemented in a theme), that will validate and/or check if the installation process is legimitated by a valid buyer/purchaser ID. And only “this” piece of code fragment will be obfuscated.

by
by
by
by
by
by