14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
planet-pcs says

My Real Estate theme has been rejected again after I made some pretty big changes in the areas that it was failed in last time. I re-submitted and this is the reply that I got:

“Unfortunately, we cannot accept your file because it does not meet our design quality standards.

Your item requires improvements in:

1. Typography. http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/six-ways-to-improve-your-web-typography/

2. Aesthetics: Unfortunately at this moment your design is not aesthetically pleasant. Consider the general composition. — You’re making small changes an these are not enough.

3. Spacing: There are a few inconsistent spacing issues throughout the design.

Since your file is being rejected due to the design quality and since it has more issues than we can possibly point out we kindly ask you not to re-upload it without making significant changes and improvements.”

My design can be seen here: http://plnt.me/midark

Am I wasting my time trying to get this accepted? I’ve looked through a lot of real estate themes on TF and I don’t think my theme is worse that most of them, I really can’t see what the problem is. I feel that it looks better than at least half of them, and because it’s used with a proper real estate system it has more features than all of the other themes for Wordpress and Joomla.

I’m not sure what spacing issues Ivor is referring to in number 3, I was careful to go through the whole design after switching to the 960.gs grid layout and alter every padding/margin. I changed the typography after reading through a tutorial, and I have read through the article he linked to and I can’t see anything in particular.

And finally he says the general composition is unpleasant, can anyone see what he means by that?

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated because I am starting to think there is no point continuing if it never going to be accepted, I’ve put a lot of work into this, the Open-Realty template system is pretty poor, which I assume is why there is a lack of good themes for it anywhere and I personally feel that mine is the best Open-Realty theme I’ve ever seen. Obviously I’m missing something but I can’t see what.

Help please!

Regards, Mike

123 posts
mazoor says

To be frank, this does not have the glimpse of a chance.
But what is worse is that you do not see that your theme is awful and nowhere near themeforest items.

Maybe someone else has some concrete tips for you, I for myself can only say it seems you are wasting your time.

14 posts
  • Located in Spain
planet-pcs says

Ok but why? Is it the color scheme? Is the layout bad? Is the slider overpowering it? Is there a particular page that lets it down more than others?

54 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
coatsrc says

My Real Estate theme has been rejected again after I made some pretty big changes in the areas that it was failed in last time. I re-submitted and this is the reply that I got:

“Unfortunately, we cannot accept your file because it does not meet our design quality standards.

1. Typography. http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/six-ways-to-improve-your-web-typography/

2. Aesthetics: Unfortunately at this moment your design is not aesthetically pleasant. Consider the general composition. — You’re making small changes an these are not enough.

Since your file is being rejected due to the design quality and since it has more issues than we can possibly point out we kindly ask you not to re-upload it without making significant changes and improvements.”

Am I wasting my time trying to get this accepted? I’ve looked through a lot of real estate themes on TF and I don’t think my theme is worse that most of them, I really can’t see what the problem is. I feel that it looks better than at least half of them, and because it’s used with a proper real estate system it has more features than all of the other themes for Wordpress and Joomla.

I’m not sure what spacing issues Ivor is referring to in number 3, I was careful to go through the whole design after switching to the 960.gs grid layout and alter every padding/margin. I changed the typography after reading through a tutorial, and I have read through the article he linked to and I can’t see anything in particular.

And finally he says the general composition is unpleasant, can anyone see what he means by that?

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated because I am starting to think there is no point continuing if it never going to be accepted, I’ve put a lot of work into this, the Open-Realty template system is pretty poor, which I assume is why there is a lack of good themes for it anywhere and I personally feel that mine is the best Open-Realty theme I’ve ever seen. Obviously I’m missing something but I can’t see what.

Help please!

Regards, Mike

The reviewer is right in all regards….what you need to do is step back from this project a few days with a fresh mind. Then you will see how inadequate this really is when compared to alot of really nice real estate themes (besides the ones on themeforest).

Take a look at these website from smashing magazine: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/23/30-beautiful-real-estate-websites/

Also do a google search of top real estate websites….then you will see why your site is subpar

As of now you need major improvements.

Spacing: Your spacing is still needing work. Its inconsistent, google macro and micro spacing and that should help you

Color: Your site is dull and grey :( Add color!!! You need a primary and a secondary color. If you are unsure what works….research color theory.

Layout: On your browse listing page your grid pretty much breaks with that “find your home” information being stuck in a corner like that. Again look at spacing of elements.

Background: Your background looks boring and generic. Not what I would expect from a real estate website. Look up subtle patterns. Linen textures are overused and you wrongly used it.

Conclusion: There is so much more that needs to be changed. But first you need to decide whether you are going to ditch this idea all together or come back to it. The way I see it now, is for you to let this one go as a learning experience.

My suggestion for you is to do more research! Research typography, color theory, layout composition, and other design like things. Then when you have that knowledge show us what ya got!

Have a good day :)

42 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
supolka says

Sorry. But I think you are waisting your time. This one is really not ready for themeforest.

14 posts
  • Located in Spain
planet-pcs says

Thanks for the replies, especially coatsrc for your in depth comments!

I’ll have a look through that smashing post and see if I can get any inspiration.

In answer to some of your comments:
Take a look at these website from smashing magazine: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/23/30-beautiful-real-estate-websites/ Also do a google search of top real estate websites….then you will see why your site is subpar
- I had a look through and in all honesty there are 4-5 that I like most of them are very poor, do you like the majority of these? I asked my wife to have a look at most of them to get another opinion and she only liked 3.
As of now you need major improvements.

Spacing: Your spacing is still needing work. Its inconsistent, google macro and micro spacing and that should help you

- I used the 960.gs grid layout, with 12 columns and I went for 20px margin/padding across the board, and in places where that didn’t fit I used 10px, I can’t see anything that looks out of place but I’ll go through it again in a few days and see if I can spot anything.
Color: Your site is dull and grey :( Add color!!! You need a primary and a secondary color. If you are unsure what works….research color theory.
- I see what you are saying, but the idea was that the photos of properties would inject the colour, Openhouse is by far the most popular ‘real estate’ theme on TF, and other than the changeable background colours the main colour is grey the only colour that is injected is from the property photos, and the colour picker(which won’t be in the final design anyway), the theme is here: http://www.informatik.com/themeforest/openhouse2/
Layout: On your browse listing page your grid pretty much breaks with that “find your home” information being stuck in a corner like that. Again look at spacing of elements.
- That is the ‘search’ box, but agreed it looks out of place, I was going to put it in the header to the right of the slideshow, but quite a lot of people do that and there is a lot of emphasis on not ‘copying’ other designs, do you think it would work if I moved it up there?
Background: Your background looks boring and generic. Not what I would expect from a real estate website. Look up subtle patterns. Linen textures are overused and you wrongly used it.
- Again if you look at the Openhouse theme, backgrounds don’t get much more boring than fading from white to grey/colour. If linen textures are overused then I can see how that could be a negative, but I would suggest that the reason they are overused is because apple use it, and if apple use it, it must be good. I will look up subtle patterns and see if I can come up with anything better.
Conclusion: There is so much more that needs to be changed. But first you need to decide whether you are going to ditch this idea all together or come back to it. The way I see it now, is for you to let this one go as a learning experience.
- I still can’t see what makes it ‘awful’ as mazoor thinks, I can understand that a few things need tweaking and that a different background might be better, but awful is a bit harsh and to be honest the standard for real estate themes on TF isn’t that good. What seems to sell them is the features more than the design, people cram the themes full of lots of additional features, most of which come as standard with the system I am creating this theme for.

Once again I appreciate the time you have taken and will try and take your comments on board and see if I can improve it then I’ll post it here again to get your views.

Thanks. Mike

54 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
coatsrc says

I see that you keep referring to the Openhouse Wordpress theme. You do realize this theme is from 2010 and all other reality themes dates back to 2008 or later? Design aesthetics and trends has changed dramatically over the past 2-5 years. So what was cool and eye catching before does not mean it is now.

Furthermore, just because it works and looks good for Apple does not mean its going to work or look good for everyone or everything else.

You say that the standards for real estate themes isn’t good. I really agree with you. But again what was cool and trendy in 2010 is probably not as pleasing to some now in mid 2012.

Any whoot I wish you the best of luck in developing your theme :)

47 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
zourbuth says

Help please!

Regards, Mike

Hi, browse the popular themes and take a fresh view to your theme. You will know what is the meaning of the reason. Keep trying :)

14 posts
  • Located in Spain
planet-pcs says
I see that you keep referring to the Openhouse Wordpress theme. You do realize this theme is from 2010 and all other reality themes dates back to 2008 or later? Design aesthetics and trends has changed dramatically over the past 2-5 years. So what was cool and eye catching before does not mean it is now.

Furthermore, just because it works and looks good for Apple does not mean its going to work or look good for everyone or everything else.

You say that the standards for real estate themes isn’t good. I really agree with you. But again what was cool and trendy in 2010 is probably not as pleasing to some now in mid 2012.

Openhouse was created back in 2010 and the last update was September last year and I understand that design trends change.

However I think it would be less unfair if a theme was compared to others in the same category rather than themes on the whole site. What they should do is look at the theme and think ‘is it as good as or better than existing themes’ if the answer is yes then it should be accepted, to compare it to the best themes available isn’t fair as it may not be possible.

And despite the fact that the Openhouse theme may be subpar by today’s standards, it has still sold a lot, around 150 copies of it have been sold in the last week or two, that tells me either that people don’t mind that real estate themes aren’t as good quality as others, or that they see it for what it really is rather than comparing it to other themes.

Hi, browse the popular themes and take a fresh view to your theme. You will know what is the meaning of the reason. Keep trying
Thanks for the comment, I hadn’t thought of looking at the popular themes, I was always just thinking that my ‘competition’ is other real estate themes and was comparing to those, that might be where I am going wrong…

Again I am really grateful for your comments and appreciate the input of other people, I just struggle to understand the reasons of the reviewers!

Mike

47 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
zourbuth says
Thanks for the comment, I hadn’t thought of looking at the popular themes, I was always just thinking that my ‘competition’ is other real estate themes and was comparing to those, that might be where I am going wrong…

Again I am really grateful for your comments and appreciate the input of other people, I just struggle to understand the reasons of the reviewers!

Mike

Don’t bother to browse and get inspired to what people needs. That makes us better and better, perhaps for commercial purpose :)

by
by
by
by
by
by