• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
guuthemes says

Hi Danny,

Was a little unhappy, as I got the rejection on my phone as I was just going off to sleep!! Not a good time! ;)

But can you see where I’m coming from with the complete about-turn with reviewer replies?

With the reviewer replies, you are kind of scratching your head? Is it personal preference with that certain reviewer? If I change this, and this visually will it get accepted, or did he mean that I need to add 20 custom sliders, and 60 different page options? You need more precise details, and I feel that it is very wrong that you are not allowed to reply to a reviewer.

Some developers, like myself are taking months (on and off) of our spare time to create these themes, and then shot down with vague reviewer replies!!

thanks

125 posts I make pretty things.
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
guuthemes says

Kind of tempted to go back (visually) to my first love, Retro style. It’s what I’ve done for many years on client sites to great success…hmmmm!!

114 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • South Africa
WebDesignFudge says

Hey Mark Just want to say that I think your theme is awesome! I like the design and layout. Except for the fact that the reviewer stated that they have too many similar items, I think that this theme would’ve done good. Keep up the good work

812 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
iamthwee says

Keep on it, I can see you getting approved at some point! If not with this theme then certainly with another. You may even have to take a step back and submit a .HTML theme first…

On the technical front it’s hard to say, because we can’t see your backend, but some of the things which concern me with your theme are you only have one slider… How do you change and upload new images? Are you coding to wp standards, like using the wp_enque script to load js and css styles?

The portfolio section has only one column style? What about multiple columns? At the moment the design is good, just nothing to separate it from the others.

Remember the bar keeps getting raised so you have to introduce more features (technical wise) to give it the edge. The minimal theme is oversaturated.

My advice would be to do a few retro styles. I saw some work on your homepage and it looks great. Perhaps, take a step back and submit it as a .psd file then .html and finally a fully wp theme.

268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
beetlesales says

Just create your own site and sale your themes there. Price them cheaper than here and you’ll be making more money and you will have creative freedom to do as you wish.

^^ This. :O

21 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
loveday10 says

Just create your own site and sale your themes there. Price them cheaper than here and you’ll be making more money and you will have creative freedom to do as you wish.

Easy enough to say that but marketing a brand new personal theme site isn’t the easiest thing!

OT: Keep it up mate, I think its a nice theme, clean, crisp and I like the colours.

No points giving up on this one, maybe go for one last push, change it about a bit, add something edgey and funky to it (easy me saying this but think something innovative and bash it out)

Good luck pal

• Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
guuthemes says

Hey Mark Just want to say that I think your theme is awesome! I like the design and layout. Except for the fact that the reviewer stated that they have too many similar items, I think that this theme would’ve done good. Keep up the good work

Thanks buddy. I think it would have done ok (biased view) ;) It’s just a bit of a shame, that it does bring something a little different to the minimal vibe, but that did not seem to go appreciated, hey ho!! :(

• Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
guuthemes says

Keep on it, I can see you getting approved at some point! If not with this theme then certainly with another. You may even have to take a step back and submit a .HTML theme first…

On the technical front it’s hard to say, because we can’t see your backend, but some of the things which concern me with your theme are you only have one slider… How do you change and upload new images? Are you coding to wp standards, like using the wp_enque script to load js and css styles?

The portfolio section has only one column style? What about multiple columns? At the moment the design is good, just nothing to separate it from the others.

Remember the bar keeps getting raised so you have to introduce more features (technical wise) to give it the edge. The minimal theme is oversaturated.

My advice would be to do a few retro styles. I saw some work on your homepage and it looks great. Perhaps, take a step back and submit it as a .psd file then .html and finally a fully wp theme.

Cheers iamthwee,

On the backend you have a custom post type for Slides, so you can easily drop in an image, and caption. I am using wp_enqueue in my theme.

The options panel (using Options Framework) has been modded down to the icons and nav item hovers so it looks completely native to the WP backend. I think for the end-user this makes them feel much more comfortable than some garish options panel that looks completely removed from the rest of WP.

Multiple columns would definitely be a smart move!

thanks again mate.

• Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
guuthemes says

Well, after countless revisions my theme has still not been accepted. Below are the latest points made by the reviewer -

• - the social icons – spread out too much.
  • - the main nav, hard to notice.
  • - latest project – plain, generic, improve the balance of white space and typography.
  • - latest article – generic, bad typography
  • - recent tweet & comments – the icons seem repetitive.
  • - too many lines in the footer.
  • -Good set of icons, but bad implementation.
  • -portfolio, blog and contact page need improvements. The elements are not well aligned and the contact page looks incomplete.
  • The demo url can be found here

I think the theme is a pretty good example of a minimal theme, but I’m not having much look, after countless revisions!! :( Advice would be really appreciated.

470 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Israel
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
virtuti says

Hello Marc, you are lucky, you got a detailed review and what is left is just to get through every point.

My personal additional notes: spread of social icons–indeed, spacing between icons is too wide. Typography–font size is not even tiny, it is double-double-tiny, who will be able to read text with such tiniest letters? + difference in size of a paragraph and a heading creates big visual misbalance (on full-width page, especially).

To my opinion these blackened/whitened images are not right here, I understand you wanted to create a feel of minimalism but these images are not right to be displayed in black/white, it is not that type of photos… And to my eye the skins colours (apart maybe retro blue) are not good, they are as if from other place and do not match (they are too bright).

And photo thumbnail on full-width page–pay attention, thumbnail opens a bigger image on just other page, if you wish to show the enlarged version some better way to display it is really required.

Wish you good luck and hope you will manage to submit it next time.

by
by
by
by
by
by