5 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
s3g says

Hi guys and gals,

I have been a member of ThemeForest for over two years. In that time I have purchased over 40 items but only recently decided to become an author myself.

While I am new to offering themes for sale I am not new to web design – I started quite a few years back. Like many of you it seems, I had my first theme rejected. I chose to target PrestaShop as it is something I work with a lot and also because WordPress themes currently seem well catered for on here.

I already have some more ideas for future themes but I still think for my first theme it was a good, clean and neat offering. Here it is:- http://bossthemes.co.uk/themes/?theme=Harveys

The theme was “Hard Rejected” so in the reviewers mind was nowhere near the standards required for that category.

To quote:-

“Unfortunately your submission doesn’t meet our current minimum technical quality requirements for the category it was submitted to. Please consider taking some time to familiarize yourself with our current library and quality levels of popular items before resubmitting.”

While I may be biased I personally feel there are one or two items in that category that this theme is better than although like I said earlier I am aware there are improvements that could be made for the future.

Bearing in mind that it took me 2 days just to write the documentation I found it a little tough to take in all honesty..

I’ll try again shortly with something new.

434 posts I love the web!
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
htmgarcia says

Nice start, but looks very empty. I notice in footer > Information: this is just too long.

5 posts
+1 more
s3g says

Hi htmgarcia

Thanks for the reply!

The intention was to keep the store from becoming over-cluttered and letting the products speak for themselves.

Hmm yeah. I was going for a minimalist look, but maybe with ecommerce themes people expect to see a certain level of functionality?

4326 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Work a little bit more on it. Improve the product-single page, the theme looks empty you may want to add more content to show the true potential of the item, remove the Gucci, Cookie Lee, etc logos, remove Liam Gallagher’s image and debug. http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/debugging-tools/

I should’ve provided more specific feedback sorry about that.

5 posts
+1 more
s3g says

Thanks for that Ivor – yes I was left scratching my head wondering which bits to change or which bits to keep or whether to just sit and cry lol!

Appreciate the extra feedback I will see what I can do with the next theme, I already have another idea or two.

EDIT – When I did the original theme the main homeslider images were just various coloured banners with the words “Mid Season SALE ” in the middle – did that go against me or where they ok? Regarding the manufacturer logos – that makes sense I will not include those in future.

I also found it quite challenging because a lot of what makes an ecommerce store look good is the products and imagery, banner images etc, yet with copyright constraints and limited suitable stock photos to choose from in the themeforest assets it was tricky.

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
ChillThemes says

You should show some of the latest products on the home page below that slider, reuse the carousel for that.

5 posts
+1 more
s3g says

You should show some of the latest products on the home page below that slider, reuse the carousel for that.

I was wondering the same. Yeah good point, I will do that.

310 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
2AA says

First Of all It’s a good start But the most thing is important and that was theme reject for reason is the buyer need to feel about some thing , some thing unique , a true theme … not just a blank empty page , try to focus on the Home page the most part of web development theme appearance …...

586 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

The search input field is not vertically aligned and I think it should be placed elsewhere anyway. The arrows on the menu are too big and the footer has no personality if you know what I mean.
Good luck!

5 posts
+1 more
s3g says

Thanks everyone

by
by
by