5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
wpmavens says

I apologize for where I posted this thread. And I thank everyone for the constructive criticism. I’ll get to work and hopefully publish something that is worth it.

1484 posts LoveThemes
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LoveThemes says

Brutally honest, it’s not good enough to be a free theme…

Study basic design principals, go away and practice then try again.

-Scott

Who are you to say someone wouldn’t want to use this as a free theme? That’s so rude it’s not even funny. You’re supposed to give the artist positive reinforcement and help him with his journey. Did you not see the word “feedback” in the title of the thread?

You sir, should be ashamed of yourself and you need to go study basic manners.

I think the theme has potential but it still needs a lot of work. What sticks out like a sore thumb for me is the typography needs a lot of work. Aside from that, one of the menu items is on two lines, that just doesn’t look right, please work on that as well.

It’s a good start, is the theme good enough for the site? Probably not but I believe this will make you a better and stronger designer. Keep that head up and goodluck ;)

No Sir, I’m not ashamed of myself.

The OP asked for critique, which if I’m not mistaken is what I gave. That is the cold harsh truth, critique isn’t pretty and I’m not about to start sugar coating things to make someone feel better.

It is what it is, if I were to lie and say things like; “ohh it just needs a little more of this” and “how about some of this”, that will do more harm than good. It will have the OP spending far too much time on something that just isn’t going to be approved, ever.

What I did say however, was to go away, study basic design principals and come back and have another go, this is not encouragement?

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you start a thread whinging about quality? Pot, Kettle, Black.

-Scott

1 post
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Switzerland
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
AVTD says

It is what it is, if I were to lie and say things like; “ohh it just needs a little more of this” and “how about some of this”, that will do more harm than good. It will have the OP spending far too much time on something that just isn’t going to be approved, ever.

-Scott

He’s totally right. This is how it works, encouragement.

894 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
infuse01 says

It is always funny to see how people are complaining about negative feedback, forgetting that also negative feedback IS feedback. It also happens to me. I had many clients which went straight after the contract. And if I weren’t ready I had some real troubles. I got feedback which made me hurt but in the end I evolved and made it better because – I turned the negative into a positive and made the best out of the feedback. And when I’m looking for feedback I should be aware that there could also be negative feedback. That’s life.

And in the end this is still a marketplace. When you have 40 years of experience in running a business, would you be that glad to help your competitors with advice, tips and tricks. Your competitors should be happy if they get any honest communication with you at all.

Period.

894 posts
+5 more
infuse01 says

Just to chime in, the original OP asked for “feedback” and here is the definition for “constructive feedback”.

Constructive Feedback. Communication which alerts an individual to an area in which his/her performance could improve. Constructive feedback is not criticism; it is descriptive and should always be directed to the action, not the person.

So could we please keep this at a professional level and provide “descriptive” feedback for the author?

Actually he said “any feedback” which can also include criticism, not limited to “constructive feedback”. And actually he isn’t an author yet….you know. And I think Scott HAS actually provided a descriptive feedback – there is just nothing else to say.

894 posts
+5 more
infuse01 says

Just to chime in, the original OP asked for “feedback” and here is the definition for “constructive feedback”.

Constructive Feedback. Communication which alerts an individual to an area in which his/her performance could improve. Constructive feedback is not criticism; it is descriptive and should always be directed to the action, not the person.

So could we please keep this at a professional level and provide “descriptive” feedback for the author?
Actually he said “any feedback” which can also include criticism, not limited to “constructive feedback”. And actually he isn’t an author yet….you know. And I think Scott HAS actually provided a descriptive feedback – there is just nothing else to say.

You really missed my point… and it really strikes me odd why you are being so argumentative towards me when all I was trying to do was be the better man and save the thread. It’s turned from an artist looking for feedback to a pissing match. It’s just sad to be honest.

Anyways, like everyone else has pretty much pointed out, first place to start in your journey to becoming a better designer is to practice typography, perhaps do some research on some grid systems and get ideas from top selling authors to find out what is acceptable.

No, I didn’t missed your point at all. I just wanted to get the facts straight. I simply don’t like it that much when facts are turned upside-down just to give a better image. Sorry for making you sad.

894 posts
+5 more
infuse01 says

Why did you post here when you haven’t provided any feedback?

maybe the same reason as yours? and actually I couldn’t provide any more specific feedback as the others already stated. In my opinion this theme won’t get approved and there ARE some free themes out there which are much better.

Here is one for you:

Do you think this would get approved? Could you please provide me some feedback.

Please dont get me wrong. I really don’t want to upset anybody and I especially don’t want to compare the design I posted above and the work of the OP. But maybe you can understand my point better.

What could you say more than: “Put that in the bin and make a new one!”

On a marketplace like here there are so many authors who want to make the fast money. I was also one of them for sometime. And even everyone can become an author here, not everyone is entitled to be an author. With so much competition it is just not possible to upload a half-baked theme/template which doesn’t meet any requirement in design principles. Maybe it is possible to sell it as-is to a one-time-payoff client but not as a mass product.

I for myself only have 1 item in my portfolio here and some more items elsewhere. I try to come up with something original, which is well-thought in every line of code and every pixel. Of course I’m also not perfect but at least I try so and I think this should be done by the most new authors like me. There is just no chance for authors who want to make the fast money. That is also the reason, I believe, iKreativ mentioned that he should go back, study some design-principles and practice them.

I believe there is nothing wrong with that. In the end it simply helps him to become not only a real author with some items in his portfolio, but also a successful author which gets some sales to make a living of it. That would just help everybody. Even if the “constructive feedback” sounds harsh.

Sorry for being off-topic btw. ;-)

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
wpmavens says

So I was wondering if it is more so a lack of features in the theme (shortcodes, buttons, tables gallery, columns, social networks) or rather poor design qualities altogether like typography and colors.

I understand both may need to be changed, but am wondering which is higher priority.

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
jhnsntmthy says

So, I have seen some themes which are just flat out ugly in their typography, selling REALLY well on here, even ones near the top of the sales charts. And 50% of sites on the internet are worse than this one.

So I am wondering, beyond “starting over”, what makes a theme achieve the ability to be offered here for sale. According to you all it is grids and typography, and I can point to dozens of themes on here that have sold many hundreds of copies without looking “pristine”.

I buy themes for ease of implementation, and I have sat in a room with clients going through themes on TF and watched them PREFER themes that are rather ugly IMO . I hate working like that, but the client (business owner, not designer) is the end decision maker.

34 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
Armeani says

I have not had a template published on ThemeForest yet, but I’m evolving and moving towards it … and I think now I am able to give you some tips:

- See all topics published here and analyze the quality of each (compare with yours); - Download themes that are free at the ThemeForest, analyze the code and features in general; - One of the tips they gave me, was trying to recreate professional themes in photoshop (if meets all the details); - Learn about web design theory: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/sessions/web-design-theory/

Take the time that you needed, but give the maximum.

by
by
by
by
by
by