347 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

Need some help for improving my business WP theme. I’m quite on the verge of giving up since I can’t seem to get any theme approved.

http://themes.amplus.gambit.ph/

Usual reason:
This File Did Not Meet Our Criteria

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit this template. Unfortunately, due to our current quality standards, your template has been declined.

Your template does not provide a unique enough design to compete in the marketplace at this time. The reviewing team feel that the lack of uniqueness coupled with this template failing to meet the expected aesthetic quality doesn’t warrant an approval at the moment. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
329 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
PaulWinslow says

If I’m completely honest with you, mate.. as soon as I saw this I thought that’s too similar to the CircloSquero theme (http://circlosquero.dmthemes.com/). It looks like a copy.

You have to do your own thing.

2575 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

You need to ditch the main content background color.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says

I think the design is good, but there is not much in it that we haven’t seen in dozens of other themes. If you look at the top themes, you’ll see that each of them as an “X” factor that makes it special. Maybe it’s several versions of the homepage with different slider options, or lots of unique templates for inner pages (e.g. services, testimonials, team members), added functionality (ajax contact form widgets), video embedding, Content Composer, lots of custom post types, the list goes on and on. As a buyer, that’s what I look for in a $35-$40 theme.

Your theme has a clean design, but there is not much to it that would make it a must-have for buyers. I think maybe the reviewers worded the rejection email differently from the way I would have. I would have said your theme meets the expected aesthetic quality, but lacks a comprehensive set of features to make it competitive in the marketplace. As it is now, it would be a $12-15 theme most likely, and it wouldn’t stand out when compared to the popular Wordpress themes.

When submitting a theme, ask yourself “why would someone buy this Wordpress theme for $35 instead of just buying a $12 HTML theme and using it to modify a blank Wordpress theme?” Answer that and you’ll have a strong theme to submit.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says

If I’m completely honest with you, mate.. as soon as I saw this I thought that’s too similar to the CircloSquero theme (http://circlosquero.dmthemes.com/). It looks like a copy. You have to do your own thing.

If you looked hard enough, you could find similarities between lots of themes, especially when they use the same slider or other plugins and don’t change the default options. Anytheme that uses nivo slider with the default overlay will look like that. I think that’s part of what the reviewers are getting at. If everyone is using the same slider, lightbox, Cufon font, menu dropdown, then all the themes are going to start looking the same.

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

@paul Nope it’s not a copy. Same IBM blue color though, and the nivo captions but you can change those anyway. Plus I just read a study (the book E-Myth) that IBM blue is the way to go for viewers.

@fillerspace Yes the X-factor, I think what I did with mine is the columns shortcode. Made it nifty enough that if you dont want the normal full width page or the page with a sidebar, you can change it and have it any way you want.

I agree that there’s a lot more stuff widget-wise or feature-wise I can put in. But the thing is, I doubt that’s the reason why this is rejected! I actually decided to stop putting in more shortcodes (e.g. there’s no slider shortcode, etc and extra custom widgets here) since I’ve been trying to get a theme first that’ll get accepted.. then I can put some effort in building in extra features.

I admit that the features included aren’t very wide as the others have. But mine is I think just above average among the pool of themes here in TF. I think that’s okay, since I’ve bought some themes just for their good looks. :)

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

You need to ditch the main content background color.

I can’t, that would break the layout for me, and the large image on the top would be left hanging also (unless this is what you are pointing at). They can set it into a very mild color to almost get rid of it. Also, I wanted the body of the page to be 1 whole vertical strip floating off the page.

127 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
Veuse says

It’s a good start, but I would try to make it look a bit cleaner.

1: I would reduce the shadowing-effects, as they seem a little “dirty” to me. 2: I also think the diagonal background pattern is far to high on contrast. 2: The “tan” content background does not go well with the light grey gradient in the content boxes.

How will the menu look if you add a taller logo?

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

It’s a good start, but I would try to make it look a bit cleaner.

1: I would reduce the shadowing-effects, as they seem a little “dirty” to me. 2: I also think the diagonal background pattern is far to high on contrast. 2: The “tan” content background does not go well with the light grey gradient in the content boxes.

How will the menu look if you add a taller logo?

Hello Phi, good points. But, the diagonal pattern can be changed or removed and the background color can be changed in the live preview by viewers. The tan foreground content can be changed as well as the footer text color in the live preview also.

For a better live demo, I can change those :)

I’m glad you asked about the logo. You can have it 2 ways, you can get the logo protruding (top and bottom) from the navigation bar, or you can have the whole navigation bar taller to accomodate the new height of the logo.

Good job on your themes btw, they’re an inspiration!

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

New message…

1) Overall template typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for ThemeForest. 2) Your template has a good start but, as we have high standards, you will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as typography, graphics, and spacing.
by
by
by
by
by
by