23 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Ukraine
Kopyovv says

Hey guys. What is the easiest way to include to the download archive different theme styles for html themes? Just include all the styles in different folders or to comment the styles in .css files and write in the documentation how to change the style in .css file?

thx

960 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

By styles do you mean colours and thing like that? If you do then my approach is to wait until my theme is complete, then create folders for each different colour.

I prefer this method rather than providing seperate css files because I’ve found buyers preferred to be able to use a theme straight out the box without too much fiddling.

If you mean styles as in layout options, your best bet is to keep all the CSS in one file, and have different pages demonstrating them e.g. full widtch, left sidebar, right sidebar etc.

23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ukraine
Kopyovv says

By styles do you mean colours and thing like that? If you do then my approach is to wait until my theme is complete, then create folders for each different colour.

I prefer this method rather than providing seperate css files because I’ve found buyers preferred to be able to use a theme straight out the box without too much fiddling.

If you mean styles as in layout options, your best bet is to keep all the CSS in one file, and have different pages demonstrating them e.g. full widtch, left sidebar, right sidebar etc.

Yeah, exactly this. For example – i have 10 header colors, half of them has different font colors. So i can create 10 different folders and put there 10 bg images. But what about different font colors, just to use different classes in html code and keep all the styles in 1 .css file? And on the inner pages those classes also needs to be replaced? Of course the most easiest way is to create different folders for different styles and just put there a complete theme with selected style, but just interesting is there any other way to do this :)

thanks

960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

the images you can seperate out.

what i end up with for everything else is a master.css file with all the styling, and then I have a theme.css file that contains all the styling that needs a theme colour.

So if I have a green version for example I’l have all my headings, buttons, background colours set in my theme.css file.

You could use classes I guess – would get pretty messy though :P

371 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
QwibbleDesigns says

I usually get the user to apply a class to the body of the colour they want and the css does the rest.

960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

Thats pretty good if you wanted to use a switcher perhaps, but from the feedback I get users prefer actual pre-made templates to literally pick up and go with.

I’m not advocated what’s best practice, I can only tell you what works well for me :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by