814 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

Hi everyone,

I’ve just submitted my first site template, but I am really not sure if I did that correctly.

Here is what I find confusing:

1) There is a blog post with help file template (in html and txt format), and I wrote detailed help file to make it easy for the buyer. But on this page http://themeforest.net/upload/help?type=site-templates it says:

All Files Must Contain a Help File: All items sold on ThemeForest must contain documentation explaining how to customize, install and use the item.

What does it mean? Do I have to make a help file even for a ‘body.png’ ? Even if I explained in html help file what is it used for? I’ve downloaded some themes which do not have these files.

2) Upload form – description field doesn’t have any instructions about allowed HTML tags, altough I see some themes have descriptions in html. How do I add, for example, a list?

3) Upload form – where do I upload preview image (one shown on mouseouver) ? There is theme preview:

ZIP file of images (png/jpg) w/ optional text descriptions for display on the site

Images? Not a image? What text?

4) Upload form -

Theme ONLY : Theme files ONLY without help, etc. This will be used for live previews at a later stage

Does this mean Envato will host theme live preview? So far I have seen previews hosted only on author’s websites…

5) Upload form – ‘JPEG – 80×80px Thumbnail’? But I’ve seen themes with PNG thumbnail?

6) Upload form – usability issues:
  • when form is not accepted, dropdowns ‘forget’ selection
  • tags section is horrible, 15 across all categories should be calculated via javascript

Sorry if I missed something, I really looked around trying to find answers to these questions, but no luck.

Still confused :(

741 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

Hello :)

1. Basically it means that you have to include help file in every uploaded file, even PSD template, a script or whatever. Just stick to what you did.

2. You can use standard HTML markup in the description field, like H2-H6 headers, uls, ols, strong, em etc.

3. The preview image is created automatically from the first file in screenshots.zip (in alpabetical order), so it’s best to make the first file your preview image and name it like “01_my_theme_lorem_ipsum”.

4. As for now theme must be hosted on your own server, this is just for future possible improvements of ThemeForest. Maybe in the future there will be live preview hosted on Envato servers.

5. I’m not sure about that. I’ve just uploaded a theme with 80×80 thumbnail in .png format so we will see if it works once it gets approved.

6. There’s not much I can do with it… :)

Hope this helps, good luck with uploading your themes!

960 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Glad I wasn’t the only one with issues on the description field, but once I knew I could use html tags I started to make my descriptions alot funkier – plud don’t forget you can edit these once the file is accepted without the need for approval.

As for help files, the template in here should detail what you nee dbut in the case of a HTML file you need to describe things like the structure of the code e..g headers, content, wrappers etc. You also need to list if you have used any javaScript files in your theme and what they are for etc.

I’ve had issues with documentatoin e.g how much is too much, but in the end I stop beating myself up about it and used the following golden rule:

“If I gave this file to my boss, could he understand it” lol.

That doesn’t mean you have to help the buyer install it on their server or do step by step instructions, but more how they can change the text in the header sectoin of your theme, or where the footer styling is etc.

Hope that helps – I dunno about the thumbnails, I stick to JPG ’s usually.

814 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

Thanks for clarification guys.

So I’ve definitely made errors with submission…

1870 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says
plus don’t forget you can edit these once the file is accepted without the need for approval.

That’s what happened to me… I have also contacted support and told them they didn’t updated the descriptions after I sent the update to approval :D 8)

128 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
quicky says

When the pages have images and links in the description area are they linking to there own websites to link those images to or can you work it the same as the description html files that people create and link to images in those files. (In that situation you would not know were theme forest are going to locate the files so the links might not work).

675 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says

^ This is a 2 years old thread :-)

128 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
quicky says

...but might be relevant if you have tried to find the infor elsewhere with little success ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by