1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
gsarles says

I teach a multimedia class and I’m looking to create a site for my classroom that will allow me to have wordpress running Buddypress and multisite activated so I can have my students create their own sites with portfolios on them. Any suggestions as to the requirements I might need would be welcomed.

THanks,

Greg

1802 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+11 more
SamBerson says

Hey there.

Firstly, you’ll need a BuddyPress compatible theme, or will need to know how to make a theme compatible. Take a look at these themes: http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/buddypress which are all ready compatible with BuddyPress.

If you’re wanting to make money and sell your courses online, you could consider using this great WordPress plugin from WooThemes called Sensei: http://www.woothemes.com/products/sensei/ I have used it and think it’s great and really easy to set up.

In terms of allowing members to create their own portfolio sites, you could use BuddyPress and find a plugin which will allow you to add a custom section to every profile, and will allow the user to upload files. This shouldn’t be too hard to code, and there will be tutorials online to help you with this.

You could, however, use a registration form plugin, set the default signup role to Editor or make a custom one allowing new pages to be created, and then auto-redirect them upon login to the edit page of their area.

Another thing to have a look at would be a client area, but instead, allowing the students to upload files and folders into their own personal area, which the site admins, and anyone they wish, can view.

I hope these suggestions are helpful; I’ve subscribed to this thread, and will receive any replies you make.

Feel free to drop me an email if you need any help.

Sam :)

by
by
by
by
by
by