• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
FlexiPress says

Hi All,

I have a question regarding theme support. I am a new theme author here on TF and so far have had a very positive experience.

I try my best to provide the right support and help people as much as I can. However, what happens if by some chance a theme author cannot provide support for a period of time? (e.g. moving, travelling, illness etc.). Should they try and find a partner to work with? Should they remove the theme from the marketplace temporarily until they are able to provide support again?

What would be your suggestions if you were put in a situation where you were unable to provide theme support for a period of time for your files?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Cheers.

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Monkify says

You should state that you’ll be away and won’t be able to provide support for the duration that you will be gone. There may be some authors here who can afford to pay someone to offer support while they’re gone, but that’s probably only the case with some of the top few authors.

You will most likely get less sales if you aren’t around to offer support. My partner (who offers support) has had small durations in which he couldn’t offer support, and our sales dropped during those times.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

if you are talking about Christmas… create a custom auto reply stating happy holidays and all that and tell the custom you will get back after the holidays .

14 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
Ferdilicios says

You could do what the other ones told you above, or you just could create a full Documentation for the themes you’re creating. That would releases you from a lot of pressure and could possibly help your client.

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Monkify says

You could do what the other ones told you above, or you just could create a full Documentation for the themes you’re creating. That would releases you from a lot of pressure and could possibly help your client.

It is required to do documentation, and usually authors make the best documentation they can, as it lowers the amount of support they have to do. :)

3423 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

It is required to do documentation, and usually authors make the best documentation they can, as it lowers the amount of support they have to do. :)

Not to mention, many buyers choose to contact the author for support first and skip reading the documentation. Of course this is rather frustrating as authors, but the point is you’re always going to get support requests no matter how good your documentation is.

960 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

This is going to sound mean but us authors dont actually have to provide support at all, this is why it varies as to how much we give.

Personally, i see my buyers as the lifeblood and so I do genuinely try and help them, and I’ll always reply to messages but don’t go stressing if you aren’t around or if you can’t help with a particular mod to the theme – for $10-30 they can’t expect the world.

562 posts You Reap What You Saw
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Bluz says

This is going to sound mean but us authors dont actually have to provide support at all, this is why it varies as to how much we give. Personally, i see my buyers as the lifeblood and so I do genuinely try and help them, and I’ll always reply to messages but don’t go stressing if you aren’t around or if you can’t help with a particular mod to the theme – for $10-30 they can’t expect the world.

+1 (and thanks for you reponse on my thread jeff – appericiate that!)

147 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
FlexiPress says

Great replies. Thanks a lot for your help.

I guess I don’t want to leave people in the dark after purchasing a theme, so I will definitely find a way to make sure this doesn’t happen. After reading Bluz’s thread though, I do agree some people can take things too far and expect the author to work for them for free.

I think I may end up looking for a developer to work with for 2011. I will start a thread to see if anyone is interested or available.

Thanks guys and merry christmas.

by
by
by
by
by
by