408 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

So I’ve been using a great script for about a year now and it’s been great for notifying my customers within WordPress to update their theme, and then allow them to update right from within WordPress:

http://codecanyon.net/item/wordpress-theme-update/281180

Unfortunately WP 3 .4 has killed this script and it seems the author has abandoned the product at this point. Has anyone had luck creating something like this for 3.4+?

Thanks in advance!

973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

What made it die do you know?

408 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

What made it die do you know?

I don’t know exactly, but when I use it to update a theme now, it creates a .tmp folder, which overrides the original theme and completely breaks it.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

The plugin updater version has issues in 3.4 as well. I took his code and tweaked it a lot, but what happens to me is WP always thinks there is a new version available, even when the version numbers are the same.

I’m in the process of writing my own.

374 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

The plugin updater version has issues in 3.4 as well. I took his code and tweaked it a lot, but what happens to me is WP always thinks there is a new version available, even when the version numbers are the same. I’m in the process of writing my own.

I think it is great that authors are doing this them self, but what happend to the “automatic update” service that was supposed to be avaialble from Codecanyon and Themeforest?

I once asked if we could make our own automatic update – due to the fact that many customers find it annoying that they have to go back to Codecanyon to download the update, however the answer from Envato was clear. We are not allowed to serve update our self.

Did this change? It would be great if we could create a good automatic update service for both themes and plugins.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

When did they say we weren’t allowed to do it ourselves?

As far as I know the official update system from Envato that was built for themes has pretty much died, at least from what I hear from some TF author buddies.

2042 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

I’ve ask a similar question a while ago but didn’t get an official response.

The main problem is that the buyer needs his API key and the purchasecode. The most buyers don’t know what an API key is or where to find it. Much better would be to require only the purchasecode to get download link

I’m waiting for some staff response to make this clear

by
by
by
by
by
by