285 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
crossroad says

I’m working on a theme which has been purchased from themeforest. It has defined 13 custom image sizes, so when I upload an image, it creates 13+3 (default WordPress sizes) = 16 copies of a single image. Now just imagine 1000 posts with featured images, it means 16,000 images!

I think this is very bad approach as it requires a lot of server resources. What’s the best way to handle this? How many image sizes are considered ‘normal’?

PS. This is not any support question, just a general discussion.

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

That’s why you need an external plugin such as aq_resize for image resizing. Because if i want to provide 4 column types of portfolios(and don’t use css for resizing, which would be a bad practice), i can either use an image resizing plugin or make 4 custom image sizes. And the latter is crazy like you said..

So normal is just set the thumbnail size, then use an image resizing function to request sizes as you need them.

579 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

Also depends on the size of the image sizes the theme creates. If it are reasonable small sizes i think it’s not a big deal because it won’t be really large files.

In the end it’s less server load than requesting sizes as you need them.

So i would go for a little bit more space usage and less server load if possible

edit: But 16 different sizes is a bit much indeed…

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

If the images that you’re requesting are cached, then it’s less server creating images on the fly. aq_resize for example, creates the image and then keeps it in the images folder.. So the image is requested only once, because once it is created, it will be used by everyone. So it’s less server load this way..

579 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

If the images that you’re requesting are cached, then it’s less server creating images on the fly. aq_resize for example, creates the image and then keeps it in the images folder.. So the image is requested only once, because once it is created, it will be used by everyone. So it’s less server load this way..

You’re right about the server load, because they’re only created once.

And that’s also the reason there’s no real point in not using the add_image_resize function, because in the end you still have a lot of different images on the server – NOT as many as using the add_image_resize WP function. But if a theme already only needs a couple of different sizes i think it’s no issue it uses a bit more space.

So i think using a thing like aq_resize is only for a theme with many different sizes not used everywhere.

But i think there’s one benefit more when a user switches theme doesn’t it? Maybe there should be an option for it in a theme :)

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

It would be cool if that plugin gets somehow embedded inside the default wp_get_attachment_image function. to be compatible with themes that don’t have the plugin enabled.

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says
Use this plugin to only create the image sizes that you actually use: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dynamic-image-resizer/
by
by
by
by
by
by