3 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • United States
Drinkguesser says

I hope this comes across as intended, just observations and questions that I have that I can’t seem to find anywhere.

I’ve been an affiliate for a couple years (almost exclusively promoting ThemeForest) and find that it’s tougher and tougher as time goes by to continue promoting themes for a couple reasons:

- Conversion rate, # of registered members, # of deposits, and revenue per visitor continue to drop significantly as time goes by (even with the same number of visitors sent). - No idea what people are purchasing (which makes it very difficult as an affiliate to know what’s working and what isn’t), and not sure why this isn’t shown to affiliates? - The conversion rate is remarkably lower than independent theme designers.

I’ve watched conversion rates fall: - 2009 at 2.25% conversion - 2010 at 0.99% conversion - 2011 at 0.63% conversion - 2012 at 0.42% conversion - 2013 at 0.20% conversion

And this is off what I feel is a statistically significant number of visits to ThemeForest ~70,000+ over the course of a few years.

I do see that the average revenue per deposit continues to go up (in line with the raising of prices of themes in the marketplace) – which is great all around.

My question more centers around the fact that while ThemeForest revenue and revenue per visitor continues to go down each year, all of the dozen+ independent theme companies revenues and conversion either stays the same or continues to increase as they streamline their conversion rate optimization efforts. Additionally, the conversion rates for the independents seem to be many multiples higher than ThemeForest’s.

Am I missing something or am I alone in this observation? Any tips, pointers, or happenings that I may have missed for the continuing decline?

It seems that going forward, referring visitors here is becoming tougher and tougher to justify.

I think this is an amazing site – simply looking to maximize revenue from the visitors I refer away from my site to here.

Any insight or direction would be appreciated :-)

1029 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

It could be that Themeforest is much more well known than it was in 2009. With far fewer members, it was much easier to find someone who was new to the marketplaces. Now, it is likely that many of the people you are sending are already members, or have otherwise visited the marketplaces before clicking your link.

2429 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

It could be that Themeforest is much more well known than it was in 2009. With far fewer members, it was much easier to find someone who was new to the marketplaces. Now, it is likely that many of the people you are sending are already members, or have otherwise visited the marketplaces before clicking your link.

^ this.

And here’s the affiliate program rule to confirm:

If you have visited one of the Envato Marketplaces before and then click a referral link, it doesn’t count
23 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
ZxxxZ says

Have you been promoting on the same sites/to the same user groups the whole time? Maybe they are already mined out?

3 posts
  • United States
Drinkguesser says

Have you been promoting on the same sites/to the same user groups the whole time? Maybe they are already mined out?

I have been promoting on the same site(s).

However, my affiliate earnings from other theme designers continue to ring up sales as usual (many have actually increased) which leads me to believe that I’m not just hitting the same visitors over and over – it’s like ThemeForest is an anomaly.

3 posts
  • United States
Drinkguesser says

Thanks for that response – it’s something that I believe might be true. If this is the case… based on the affiliate model upon which Envato Marketplaces are built, each passing day means that there is even less incentive than the day before to promote their products.

This could have been the intention all along, build a strong base… and then you have no need to rely on affiliates nearly as heavily – which could (most likely) be why only the first deposit is given credit for and subsequent sales are not.

24 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
sixthlife says

I hope this comes across as intended, just observations and questions that I have that I can’t seem to find anywhere.

I’ve been an affiliate for a couple years (almost exclusively promoting ThemeForest) and find that it’s tougher and tougher as time goes by to continue promoting themes for a couple reasons:

- Conversion rate, # of registered members, # of deposits, and revenue per visitor continue to drop significantly as time goes by (even with the same number of visitors sent). - No idea what people are purchasing (which makes it very difficult as an affiliate to know what’s working and what isn’t), and not sure why this isn’t shown to affiliates? - The conversion rate is remarkably lower than independent theme designers.

I’ve watched conversion rates fall: - 2009 at 2.25% conversion - 2010 at 0.99% conversion - 2011 at 0.63% conversion - 2012 at 0.42% conversion - 2013 at 0.20% conversion

And this is off what I feel is a statistically significant number of visits to ThemeForest ~70,000+ over the course of a few years.

I do see that the average revenue per deposit continues to go up (in line with the raising of prices of themes in the marketplace) – which is great all around.

My question more centers around the fact that while ThemeForest revenue and revenue per visitor continues to go down each year, all of the dozen+ independent theme companies revenues and conversion either stays the same or continues to increase as they streamline their conversion rate optimization efforts. Additionally, the conversion rates for the independents seem to be many multiples higher than ThemeForest’s.

Am I missing something or am I alone in this observation? Any tips, pointers, or happenings that I may have missed for the continuing decline?

It seems that going forward, referring visitors here is becoming tougher and tougher to justify.

I think this is an amazing site – simply looking to maximize revenue from the visitors I refer away from my site to here.

Any insight or direction would be appreciated :-)
Hi, That is true, they should make it recurring commissions so that affiliates get paid even for users for 2nd, 3rd etc purchases. Even if the commission is not 30%..and lower, the affiliate program will be more attractive at http://sixthlife.net I get paid $ 60 to $ 100 for 10, 000 unique targeted visitors per month which is not encouraging..
by
by
by
by
by
by