630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

Hey everybody, happy Friday! I’ve uploaded a few designs in the past just to be turned down as they were PSD ’s so I’ve been away learning more about coding and am almost ready to release my first but it is very minimalist as is my style. Is it worth uploading to here?

Here’s a shot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/capturedwo.jpg

962 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

Hi Robby,

I wouldn’t call this a minimalistic style but just very bare and unfinished. Check out some of the minimal designs here to compare too.

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says
RobbyDesigns said
Hey everybody, happy Friday! I’ve uploaded a few designs in the past just to be turned down as they were PSD ’s so I’ve been away learning more about coding and am almost ready to release my first but it is very minimalist as is my style. Is it worth uploading to here? Here’s a shot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/capturedwo.jpg

When you submit this it will be rejected for sure. You really need to pay good attention to contrast and typography. Especially with creating dark interfaces you really need to pay more attention to details such as shades, strokes, typo and contrast.

Maybe you can code as the best but your design skills will not improve by learning how to code, either hire a designer or learn some good interface tutorials.

Contrast, typography, structure and bring balance and peace to all elements is very important. This requires a lot patience.

Don’t be scared of criticism, it’s only positive. Criticism only makes you a better person when it’s received from people who have experienced the same ;)

Never give up and keep on learning, when you like coding better then designing then stick with the thing you like the most and find a good designer to partner up with.

We as wptitans do the same thing, i can’t and don’t have the patience to develop with javascript and php and my partner can’t make good interfaces so we’ve partnered up and combined our left and right side of our brains to make things happen. And it worked pretty good so far.

630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

@RedHenry, thanks for the feedback but I purposely made this crazy minimal, not ‘bare and unfinished’ more ‘I haven’t got much to say’. I don’t compare my work to others on TF as I prefer to do sthg original, not the same ole same old.

@wptitans Thanks for the feedback, I am more of a Designer than coder and was an Interior Designer for many years. I much prefer to design but had to learn to code recently as my PSD designs don’t sell very much (MojoThemes). I see how the contrast could be improved and I’m on it; I’ll also be making a couple brighter colour choices. I made this with a young person with young users in mind, thus their eyes can read the smaller fonts etc and feel the design would look bad if I boost the contrast/font size too far. I always appreciate useful feedback and thanks for your time in having a look.

Cheers guys.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

I think the question you have to ask yourself (in regard to the image you linked to) is, what makes this special?

Or, as a potential buyer, what would make me choose your theme over somebody else’s? Does it offer more convenience? Is it coded perfectly? Is it flexible or responsive?

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says
RedHenry said
I wouldn’t call this a minimalistic style but just very bare and unfinished.

Perfectly said.

The template has major font compatibility issues and also doesn’t guide the eye well – you can work on it.

Right now the navigation has almost the same visual weight as the headings, and the headings have no hierarchy among them. The typeface of the heading doesn’t assume minimalism in it (too complicated for a straight reading, compared to the overall style) and it doesn’t play nice with the body font. The logo lives in its own typographic and hierarchic world. There is barely any alignment and proportion and the images on the right distract too much and also don’t own their space.

I am sorry if my request sounds harsh, but please don’t generalize (or politicize) this by relating your template to ThemeForest’s acceptance of minimalist – it just doesn’t feel right to me as an author.

I hope you find the above info and links helpful.

Best wishes,
Boris

by
by
by
by
by
by