• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
reidknorr says

As many of you are probably aware another theme framework has popped up on themeforest now. The plan is to utilize this framework by selling child themes for it here on themeforest as well. What are the rules on this, and how is themeforest going to handle this?

Essentially what needs to happen is when a buyer wants to buy a child theme he needs to buy the parent theme(framework) first and then buy the child theme as well. I am in no way bashing this framework or setup as I totally understand the extreme flexibility that the framework brings to the table, but what do you think the buyers will say. I think we all know that even when it is explicitly stated that the parent theme or framework needs to be purchased in order for the theme to work, there will still be those buyers who will go straight to that purchase button only to find out they need to buy something else. Again I don’t think there is anything wrong with doing this as an author because in the end they are giving an amazing amount of flexibility to the user.

Am I missing something here or what are your thoughts?

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Nope you’re not missing anything, any child themes purchased for the Genesis framework will require a license of the parent framework.

Genesis already has quite a large following in the Wordpress industry, so any themes submitted under this section will be available to use immediately by these people. Also any new buyers that may be browsing the child themes will need to know that this theme only works if they also have a license for the parent framework. We’ve already thought about that one and plan to put a few fail safe measures in place to notify the potential buyer that the file they’re purchasing requires the parent framework, before they purchase.

342 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
reidknorr says

Thanks for the insight Mark that is much appreciated. I look forward to seeing what you guys have come up with and I think this opens up a huge market for other authors as well.

by
by
by
by
by
by