• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Here is an idea to improve exposure time for new items, and also optimizing the amount of exposure areas on the home page without making the homepage taller or leaving anything out. I still think that “Hello” block could be optimized more, or made a little narrower.. also maybe add more stuff to it.. like sales statistics or something.

\\

252 posts
  • Sweden
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
graphic_dev says

Items from authors you follow
I think it’s very important to give a lot of exposure of items from athors you follow. What better proof could you get that the user wanna see those items? They have actually chosen to follow that author. You shouldn’t even have to click on a tab to see those items imo.

Featured file/author
I also don’t like that much exposure of the free file and featured author. In fact; drop the featured author thing completely. The free file of the month is a good way to attract new buyers, but I definitely think it should be placed below the fold.

Popular
I do like the Popular items / Weekly Featured Items tabs on the home page.

4356 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

^ Authors you follow, I agree but also take into account some people follow 100’s of authors, so that block before of 9 slots changes quickly, also another BIG thing is all new buyers will take a while to start following authors.. so what does that mean… a large block of valuable exposure space on the home page is left blank.. a bit of a waste.. instead what takes preference? New popular files, that is only going to boost sales and exposure for new files… I mean buyers need to first see cool new files and authors before they start following, so it makes sense.

3196 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Brazil
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
DzincStudio says

Here’s an alternative for the weekly features as well. By integrating the tabbed categories instead, the number of showcased items significantly increases, fairly exposing items from all categories. So without moving a single pixel on the homepage design, an extra 30+ item slots instantly become available.

4356 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

^ Good idea.. but that also creates alot of admin, because staff needs to pick a featured item per category, also one featured item for all categories.. so in themeforest’s case that’s 9 featured items need to be selected per week.

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

@digitalscience and others, personally I never go on the homepage as I’ve bookmarked the WP category. I always look at the newest themes starting from the last place I left off and work my way to the top. Then I work my way back down again to the bottom of the first page. I hover on the authors I know, the Elite authors and I always take a second look when I see 4+ star ratings. I agree with you though that the system needs improvement for the sellers’ sake.

4356 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Here’s another idea.. kinda makes it more compact.

\\

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

\\

538 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Bebel says

I don’t think it helps that much to simply increase the amount of items shown on the frontpage. It won’t help new files if they need to compete with dozens of other files. Otherwise we could just clutter the frontpage with hundred of files- The frontpage bonus would be worthless.

I do like the idea of adding a “new and popular” site. Envato could add a prominent tab on the popular items page… The most important addition however would be an improved search. This is something we are talking about for a long long time. I mean I love envato for helping me pay my drinks after work, but it is kind of annoying waiting for the obvious for so long. The marketplaces are way behind where they should be considering their success. The site feels very 2011 while it should feel 2014 ( if you know what you mean ;-) )

538 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Bebel says

this topic should be back on top :)

by