226 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
chipree says

Not sure if you guys know this but a lot of pages on themeforest are not validating http://validator.w3.org. Front page for example… any theme-frame view .. is it ok? Do you know this ?

1036 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

It might be the live preview only, validation is checked during the review but I don’t know…

226 posts
+2 more
chipree says
It might be the live preview only, validation is checked during the review but I don’t know…

I’m talking about themeforest.net .. it does not validate .. did not check every other page.. but did check the live preview and it’s not very good that it does not validate.. as a client might want to check if a theme validates before he buys it.. and if the client makes a mistake or does not know and validates the live preview iframe page … it will not validate

688 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
_rg_ says

Well that´s right, home page not valid, i guess same happening on other sites and other pages. What i see are many things on the main menu for “categories” most probable all the rest of not valid markup comes from there.

on preview is just one error, i guess, and the rest become from there. The head description tag is not self closed:

<meta name="Description" content="......." />

should be:

<meta name="Description" content="......" />

I´m 99% sure, if this is changed, it will validate.

The home page is another issue… the categories menu needs some fixes.

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Enru_Chem says

I’m all for going 100% on validation, but we don’t need to be Nazi’s. lol.

I always try to get my sites perfect, but sometimes you can’t due to CSS3 hacks, etc…

It’s just a recommendation, not a requirement.

315 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
bitpub says
I’m talking about themeforest.net .. it does not validate .. did not check every other page.. but did check the live preview and it’s not very good that it does not validate.. as a client might want to check if a theme validates before he buys it.. and if the client makes a mistake or does not know and validates the live preview iframe page … it will not validate

Well the thing is that with big dynamic sites such as this your first priority is to get them to work properly in all browsers and then validation is the icing on the cake.

To get it to work from browser to browser consistently you will eventually have to use some hacks because of the various bugs and inconsistent standards support and I suspect those don’t sit well with the validation.

Each template has it mentioned in the sidebar if it is valid or not. Generally all templates must be valid to be accepted. Plus I for one think that if someone is interested if it validates then they know enough not to confuse the top frame in the live preview for the actual template.

I’m not saying that you don’t have a point and that validating pages wouldn’t be brilliant I’m just saying that we need to realize how hard it is to get sites of this size working smoothly not to mention validating so we should not be harsh with the developers.

If you have a solution to make it validate I suggest you send it to the developers, from the other threads I read on here they are friendly and always open to suggestions :)

659 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
luckykind says

Just for snail poop and giggles… I went to your site… it has 36 errors…

HOORAY FOR BOOBIES !

:P

226 posts
+2 more
chipree says

@luckykind my site? where? did you take the iframe out before validating? (because inside the iframe it does have 36 errors)...
Everybody else: OK, so don’t make the site validate.. but the iframe page at least should.. because if that is accidentally validated it will be a -1 for your products… I’m just sayin’ :p

315 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
bitpub says
@luckykind my site? where? did you take the iframe out before validating? (because inside the iframe it does have 36 errors)...
Everybody else: OK, so don’t make the site validate.. but the iframe page at least should.. because if that is accidentally validated it will be a -1 for your products… I’m just sayin’ :p

He was referring to http://www.appchain.com/ Result: 36 Errors, 19 warning(s)

If someone validates it, it will be -1 reader for the blog

You should definitely get the site to validate.. at least the front page

Cheers! :)

226 posts
+2 more
chipree says

He was referring to http://www.appchain.com/ Result: 36 Errors, 19 warning(s)

If someone validates it, it will be -1 reader for the blog

You should definitely get the site to validate.. at least the front page

Cheers! :)

Ah! lol! AppChain! .. That theme is not made by me and I’m not selling it… Started with that theme a long time ago (when I knew far less than I know now and when validation was not so big for me :P.. It’s been like that ever since…the theme did not change at all.. but my priorities did.. and Validation is very important to me not too) Was actually thinking to change it but since I started with ThemeForest in January I did not work on AppChain at all. I thought you guys meant one of my products on themeforest.. lol… Right now I have all my focus on bringing all my ideas here and to build hight quality themes… Will fix and make AppChain bigger in the opportune moment. Right now it’s kind of on hold. But thanks for pointing it out!

by
by
by
by
by
by