4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
nik19 says

H Guys… I was just reading the licensing options page and I had a query,

What does this line exactly mean?

“You must not display the product in such a way as to suggest that the product was created by you”

If we make a website for a client by purchasing a template through this website, are we supposed to categorically state in the CSS file that this is a template from themeforest from so and so author?

If we purchase a template and modify it to meet the specific needs of a client to the extent that almost all the coding has been changed but only some elements of the layout (images menus etc) stay the same… can this not be assumed to constitute our work?

I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this…

Cheers!

159 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
peex says

“You must not display the product in such a way as to suggest that the product was created by you”

It means you can’t say this: “i made this awesome design, as you can see i am so talented, i am the super hero of the web designers, god blessed me with creativity :P”

4 posts
nik19 says

^ Lol

Well I was just wondering if we have to categorically state somewhere on the site that this is a template and that it is not my work.

Moreover, if we make substantial changes to the template then would it not be “my work”?

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says
It means you can’t say this: “i made this awesome design, as you can see i am so talented, i am the super hero of the web designers, god blessed me with creativity

lol, nicely put

Moreover, if we make substantial changes to the template then would it not be “my work”?

I’m pretty sure even if you make substantial changes the base design & files you’re changing were purchased as a template, and the terms still apply. I would email support or maybe one of the Envato staff will reply to this thread for an official response.

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

It means that you can’t purchase a template and then take 100% credit for it. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to reference the original designer’s name and website. When you purchase a template, you’re free to edit it how you wish.

For example, I can’t purchase the Convergence theme, and then advertise it on my site as my own design.

4 posts
nik19 says

Ok, Thanks for the replies guys, especially Jeff… I understand properly now.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t breaking any rules, better to be safe than sorry!

Cheers

Nik

by
by
by
by
by
by