68 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
jgodbee says

Over the past 6 months, I have come here for inspiration on numerous projects. Every time I have seen an effect I liked or how something was laid out, I made a purchase, although never directly using the files, just to see how something was done or to use a certain portion of a PSD in my design.

Lately, so much is being produced, that I’m finding myself getting lazy. With all of these amazing designs, code and jquery effects galore, I’m starting to wonder if I should cut my work time in half and just use some of these themes ‘right out of the box’ with minimal modifications for smaller projects or those which I’m either lacking inspiration or for clients who tend to be on a tighter budget.

I’m sure people are, but just want to confirm. Are some of you actually using these themes for clients projects? I guess I have just always assumed that people come here who can’t afford to pay for custom work, but I’m more interested in any designers/coders using themes here for some of their jobs.

536 posts
  • Croatia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
darius9000 says

go ahead! that’s what TF is for :)

buy, modify things you want to change, use. ;)

1912 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
+3 more
TPN Staff says
With all of these amazing designs, code and jquery effects galore, I’m starting to wonder if I should cut my work time in half and just use some of these themes ‘right out of the box’ with minimal modifications for smaller projects or those which I’m either lacking inspiration or for clients who tend to be on a tighter budget.

This is the longest sentence I have seen to date. :P

68 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
jgodbee says
go ahead! that’s what TF is for :) buy, modify things you want to change, use. ;)

Yeah, there is just this feeling that if someone is paying me to do something, then I should produce the work myself. Do you know what I’m saying? On the other hand, it could offer a way for me to take on those smaller jobs that don’t pay as well and make some extra cash without spending a ton of time on them.

@tpncorp : Knowing my writing skills, or lack of, it is quite possible that it isn’t even a sentence at all :)

536 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
darius9000 says

TF is great place to buy stuff, modify and earn more $$. i see nothing bad about that. as would ferengi “rules of acquisition No. 22” say: “A wise man can hear profit in the wind.” ;)

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

I can tell you that a lot of people do this; that’s the point of ThemeForest. It’s not just for people who want to buy a template for themselves, and use it out of the box, but for designers/developers whose clients’ budgets are lower than needed for custom work.

I say, go right ahead. There’s nothing wrong with that. In the end, if the client likes it, then why bother creating something from scratch?

364 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
chrisfay says
Yeah, there is just this feeling that if someone is paying me to do something, then I should produce the work myself. Do you know what I’m saying?

I think it really depends on the client/job. I always offer both a template and custom design option to my clients, obviously decreasing the cost of the project by a decent margin if they go with a template. It’s about even for me regarding customers that want themes vs custom designs – both have percs for myself as well as the client – but I think it helps to give them the option and list some of the pros/cons – if anything sending them to templating sites will help them narrow down their vision for you.

Even when I go with templates I end up making significant customazations anyway so either way you can feel like you played a part in the design.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

“I used to smirk at stock art… then I got a job” – [Smutek via GoMedia]

Honestly though, if it allows you to do your job quicker with clients, make money faster, and have more time to do your own creative work (or heck, just make more money), why not? Retaining the core skills to build things from scratch is still crucial to customizations, but you can often learn as much or more by using stock files as it exposes you to coding methods that might be different (or better) than your own.

2957 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says
I always offer both a template and custom design option to my clients, obviously decreasing the cost of the project by a decent margin if they go with a template. It’s about even for me regarding customers that want themes vs custom designs – both have percs for myself as well as the client –

We do the same, offer both options, you end up getting the clients who would turn down your quote for something cheaper , and more clients are good, regardless of how the website comes about.

by
by
by
by
by
by