1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Hello everyone. I’m just amazed when looking at the latest approved themes and templates. In nearly 48 hours they approved more than 50 themes.

What does this mean for the authors? No more exposure. The exposure lasts for a few hours at most and when the new themes/templates are approved, your themes simply goes away from the homepage. And in the top menu it goes 5th, 6th, 7th at least. In some more hours it will no longer be even there. Then, how will the members find your theme if in 2 days it’s gone from the homepage and the WordPress / Site Templates menu?

We use ThemeForest because it gets us exposure and sales without us doing anything. We’re paying %30 for..what exactly, right now? I’m seeing lots and lots of themes with average quality(below high) that I have absolutely no idea how they went through. I see copies of TheNextWeb weekly, I see the same multipurpose themes with the same elements and just a new typography and mix of elements approved everyday.

I think something needs to change and someone must take a step forward and actually care for the authors. Probably Envato doesn’t care as long as it gets the cut from each sale, but if we, authors, will get 30-50 sales for each item even if we worked like weeks on it, there’s absolutely nothing that will stop us from moving to competitors or selling them directly, since getting that number of sales is extremely easy.

And after seeing http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/does-envato-respect-their-authors-vol-2/113074 and lots of other topics, I’m seriously doubting the Envato future. Lots of things done in a very questionable way, since I came to envato(1 year and half ago) I have seen absolutely ZERO things Envato did in order to see what the authors miss, what the authors would want new on the marketplaces. Only things they THINK we need and stuff that has been promised since years.

My opinion is that there should be MORE reviewers(at least 6) working on 4 different shifts and approving themes with definitely more standards(not the same multipurpose and copies everyday) and with the same exposure for all of them.

This topic is just for discussion between the authors, don’t lock it because we’re not happy with the current structure, this is NOT the way to solve things).

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

With the latest flow of new items, the easiest (although it won’t work long-term) thing to do would be to extend the number of homepage items.

I agree that there’s a need to better filter submissions. Every week there’s a new bunch of Avada-copies published, in either HTML or WP. Re-hashing made a home on ThemeForest. That’s why when something a tad different – like Visia for example – shows up, it gets a good deal of sales. People that put effort into making something special still get to make a profit. But that profit is sabotaged but the whole substandard trend, unfortunately.

You are absolutely right, things need to change and change fast. Not even a search-update won’t stop this trend. Or at least that’s what I believe.

Anyways, this topic won’t have a long life. So there’s no point in investing to much energy in it. Will probably see a (Locked) on it pretty soon.

Regards, Alex

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Locked why? Since when feedback is removed? If they do that, it will be the last decision that will make me understand how much they care for the authors. Instead of trying to fix the things and make everyone happy, I hope they won’t try to bury this topic and our complaints.

They care very much at what other blogs say about them and adding all kind of stuff to the review process, they need to start listening their own authors and not people that have absolutely no business with ThemeForest.

And about the homepage, I strongly disagree, adding more items to the homepage would make it look like a spam-site. They need to filter out the number of items approved otherwise they’ll become TemplateMonster. A business model that worked in 2010 with 1/100 the number of items and members obviously CAN’T work in 2014 when over 70 items are approved within 2 days. Some years ago 70 items would have been approved in a whole week!

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I see the same multipurpose themes with the same elements and just a new typography and mix of elements approved everyday.

Then wait two more weeks to see some high end awesomeness that will blow your mind! :D

On topic: When i opened my PC this morning i was like “what?! where’s the last item i saw last night?” .. I completely agree that something needs to be done for this trend. I would rather wait two weeks for my item to get published and have it on the HP 5 days than have it approved in 3 days and buried within 24hrs (maybe i’ve exagerated a bit) :(

368 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
QBKL says

@FinalDestiny:

I’ve seen a lot of topics closed lately. Topics expressing serious issues. I have my own suggestion topic posted two weeks ago, hit “request staff reply” about 5 times now on it. Anyone bothered? Nope.

If topics get answered, frustration within authors tends to blow up… obviously and with good reason so the end results are staff replies like:

- “Please don’t do this in public, talk to support”. (Let’s keep it under the radar)

- “You guys are disrespectful.” (Ignorance tends to lead to that)

- “You’ve been heard. Be patient.”

- “We’ll lock this until we have some news.”

Thing is, this is in a major part due to the number of staff people they have. They can’t address serious issues, they don’t have enough time to keep a decent communication level, they have too many items to review so – my feeling – they approve “in bulk”. The “message to reviewer” is required, yet I have wrote things there that I know were ignored when uploading items.

There are so many improvements needed, but right now I kinda lost faith. I’m just going with the flow and hope the bubble won’t burst.

179 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
ThemePrince says

Hey guys!

I’m just guessing but I think maybe it has to do something with that reviewer job opening I saw recently. Maybe submitted items jammed in the queue and now the new reviewer went through them all.

506 posts Code is Poetry
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
egemenerd says

I totally agree with you guys and I want to add another thing to the list. Why all items are in the same list on homepage? I mean why some basic items like under construction page templates or 404 page templates are in the same list with Wordpress themes or Ecommerce themes? I know there is a filter there but it is not very useful…

622 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

I don’t agree with everything that has been said here. I released a file 4 weeks ago and the exposure was good. I think that on the last 6 weeks exposure was really good when compared to the last 6 months.
Nevertheless, this week booom!!! A lot of files have been approved and I would be really frustrated if my file was accepted yesterday for instance. I also agree that there are some files that maybe should not have been accepted, but it is surely hard to filter everything. This applies specially when subjective matters like design are the only things that prevent a theme from being approved…
I also agree that there’s room for improvement on various aspects like homepage layout/options, recent popular items list, etc… But, honestly, from what I see on Themeforest, the only disrespect for authors is when a file gets disabled without prior notice and even without testing what some buyer stated.
All in all, it’s up to us to deal with the current market state and make our files stand out from the crowd. Fingers crossed anyway for eventual marketplace improvements ;)

23 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
themedesignguru says

More items gets approved every day, but popularity of TemeForest growths too, so you have more traffic/attention to your item on the home page than it was few years before.

I believe on the home page “All new items” tab needs to be to killed. If they unfold all the tabs into separate sections it will make a trick. People who came to buy a WordPress theme don’t really care about other CMS themes available, so there is no point to mess ‘em together.

More items on the home page can be a good solution and it will not make website looks spammy if you do it right. Just take a look on Google Chrome Marketplace it looks great.

21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
CodePane says

More items gets approved every day, but popularity of TemeForest growths too, so you have more traffic/attention to your item on the home page than it was few years before.

I believe on the home page “All new items” tab needs to be to killed. If they unfold all the tabs into separate sections it will make a trick. People who came to buy a WordPress theme don’t really care about other CMS themes available, so there is no point to mess ‘em together.

More items on the home page can be a good solution and it will not make website looks spammy if you do it right. Just take a look on Google Chrome Marketplace it looks great.

Well said.

by
by
by
by
by
by