128 posts I make pretty things.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
guuthemes says

Yes, it’s gotten quite ridiculous. My personal opinion at present, why should my WP theme that I’ve spent weeks/months on get pushed off the homepage in hours by a flurry of ‘coming soon’ templates?? :(

+1 For current files submitted today 63% of files are under $20, so if you spent a few months on a $40 – $50 you’ll have to compete for exposure with those cheaper / easier to build files within a 9hr exposure window as MPC experienced.

When is Envato going to actually wake up?

I know Envato have so many things on the go, pipeline etc.., but the re-design of the homepage, search etc.. has to move to Def-Con One. It has to go to the top of ‘to do’ list, it really does.

521 posts Dream big
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Has referred 50+ members
+4 more
pixel-industry says

I think that good solution will be to increase section on home page for new items, instead of that big slider with features, put latest themes in it, maybe ten of it (random pick).

Regarding lists with popular files. In popular files last week, put items that are submitted in last month. Than below that, put popular items in last 3 months, but put items that were submitted no more than 3 months before. And then finally below that put list with popular files all time. That way newest items will get a chance to get noticed and so will the older ones :).

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

+1 For current files submitted today 63% of files are under $20, so if you spent a few months on a $40 – $50 you’ll have to compete for exposure with those cheaper / easier to build files within a 9hr exposure window as MPC experienced. When is Envato going to actually wake up?

This is why the concept of “All Files” needs to be avoided. That section can be at least hidden on homepage and inserted as sub-menu on top bar.

4664 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

I also think different rows for new items on the home page according to price… so the high priced files move slower and the cheaper files move faster. This has been discussed since 2008.. and its sooo obvious to have this feature yet nothings happens 6 years later :? What does Envato do all day, really – play ping pong? Listen to your authors and buyers!

4664 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

I think that good solution will be to increase section on home page for new items, instead of that big slider with features, put latest themes in it, maybe ten of it (random pick).

Regarding lists with popular files. In popular files last week, put items that are submitted in last month. Than below that, put popular items in last 3 months, but put items that were submitted no more than 3 months before. And then finally below that put list with popular files all time. That way newest items will get a chance to get noticed and so will the older ones :).

+1 Scrap top sellers for last 3 months and change it to 1 month. That only served the system when exposure times on the home page were around 2 weeks, now it just serves as a monopoly for top selling files.

164 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

I too am concerned about the ever-increasing quantity of WordPress items being published on ThemeForest. However, I do not believe that most of our traffic comes from the homepage, or the “WordPress” tab; I believe that the majority of clients actually go for the categories, found within, such as “Blog/Magazine” or “Creative.”

I sell mostly portfolio themes, a.k.a. creative themes, and since it is one of the most competitive categories, it logically follows that a lot of people post their items there. However, not a long time ago, I could expect my theme to remain on the first page of that category for over a month, and now I am sitting at the bottom, after only 13 days.

Just take a look at the current state of the first “creative” page. Most of the themes out there now are not generating enough sales to sustain a normal business, and since they get such little exposure, the only logical solution for a lot of authors is to produce as many items as they can in a given time period, to get more of that precious exposure.

I hope we, as a whole marketplace, are not going for quantity over quality, and that in the future, the current situation will stabilize. In other words, I hope that we will find an equilibrium between the number of items published on a daily basis, and the influx of new authors on ThemeForest. I, for one, believe that Envato is going to make the right choices because lately I have been seeing a lot of improvements, from the size of the much needed Envato workforce, to the customer support they now offer, which has been notoriously slow in the recent past.

Envato has moved many things forward on the ThemeForest marketplace recently. I plead them to do the same with the quantity of items on the marketplace as well, as the future of their authors depends on it.

512 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
pixeful says

As a web designer, I ordered to slice PSD to HTML, it costed me 800$, because of a lot of complex work, huge amount of cool effects and a lot of pages. To be honest in Latvia (Europe) 800$ it’s quite a lot. But my template was not bad, and it was best from my previous experiences I expected to at least 2x times double my earning so at least (1600$), to be honest I’m almost crying because I earned only 35$.

A month ago… when I publish PSD, it earns a bit, then I order a Slice, I got back money for html back with earning and then with a bit more earning I invest to WP.

Right now I’m in -765$ for my latest template. Why should I lose my money. And it’s only because even month ago or earlier, each of my item at least 2-3 days was on HP.

I hate all those new Muse and Ghost themes. As 12 year in web design, I don’t really accepting things like Muse, it’s not a design – it’s bullshit.

It’s all the same with DSLR’s… about 5 years ago I bought Canon 30D, it was expensive and the only one cheap was 350D… then noooow! you can buy DSLR for only 300$ and you are Wedding Photographer, lol what?

Same as here on our market place, With both accounts I got about ~1200 sales – it’s not a lot! But for this year quality soo much grew up! And a Quantity also … and it’s becomes a real competition to get some earning from your item. Envato just don’t care who will earn me, or a newbie. As 2 years on Envato I’m really sad to see that.

123 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
dunhakdis says

I’ll just wait for the queue to slow down before I submit my other two WordPress themes. I’ve noticed a bizarre increased in number of approved items. T_T

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

As a web designer, I ordered to slice PSD to HTML, it costed me 800$, because of a lot of complex work, huge amount of cool effects and a lot of pages. To be honest in Latvia (Europe) 800$ it’s quite a lot. But my template was not bad, and it was best from my previous experiences I expected to at least 2x times double my earning so at least (1600$), to be honest I’m almost crying because I earned only 35$.

A month ago… when I publish PSD, it earns a bit, then I order a Slice, I got back money for html back with earning and then with a bit more earning I invest to WP.

Right now I’m in -765$ for my latest template. Why should I lose my money. And it’s only because even month ago or earlier, each of my item at least 2-3 days was on HP.

I hate all those new Muse and Ghost themes. As 12 year in web design, I don’t really accepting things like Muse, it’s not a design – it’s bullshit.

It’s all the same with DSLR’s… about 5 years ago I bought Canon 30D, it was expensive and the only one cheap was 350D… then noooow! you can buy DSLR for only 300$ and you are Wedding Photographer, lol what?

Same as here on our market place, With both accounts I got about ~1200 sales – it’s not a lot! But for this year quality soo much grew up! And a Quantity also … and it’s becomes a real competition to get some earning from your item. Envato just don’t care who will earn me, or a newbie. As 2 years on Envato I’m really sad to see that.
convert psd to html for profit is quite stupid. The only thing should do is convert psd to wordpress.
629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Although I think that the topics concern is valid (too many items accepted) I think the initial conclusion is no longer correct.

Yes your item gets pushed from the homepage in 1-2 days, and yes its been a while that this is the case. (Can remember that it wasn’t very different at the end of 2012, since I had the same concerns back then, when my item left the front after just 2 days)

But – and I think thats were this thread is wrong – at this point the homepage exposure is no longer necessary to earn good money from your theme and maybe end up in the popular file page.

You might think: “Well thats easy for you to say Mr.Kriesi with all your followers” and you are probably right. So lets remove myself from the equation and take a look at the first 20 items of the popular files page:

From those 20 files 9 were created by authors that have 3 or less items and another 3 files were created by authors with only 5 items. None of those authors has a huge number of followers, and yet somehow they ended up in the popular file list. Most of these files are not very old either (they were released during 2013, which means they had to face the same front-page conditions that you have) and it still was enough to end up on the popular file list.

So its certainly not necessary to get long home page exposure or to be a well known author to make a good living of your file, if more than 50% of the files in the top 20 did not have this luxury either.

So the question we should ask is: what do they have that others don’t have?

My conclusion: all of them brought something new to the table. You might not see it anymore because everything gets copied so fast and often that its easy to forget, but I can remember that almost any of them introduced a new feature/design/idea that I really liked when I first checked the file.

And to close the circle: I think this is what should be done: if a theme does no longer introduce something new, don’t let it through. This will probably even ease the pain for those still not convinced that frontpage exposure is no longer necessary with 3 million marketplace members…

by
by
by
by
by
by