4594 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

But – and I think thats were this thread is wrong – at this point the homepage exposure is no longer necessary to earn good money from your theme and maybe end up in the popular file page.

So how do you propose the future talent compete with their first file, with no backing to afford their own advertising on their file?

When you joined the site you most likely had around 2 weeks exposure time on your first file, do you think 9hrs would have gotten your work ‘out there’?

This system only serves those with high sales and money to make more money – fact. It’s become more about profits and not about the community as a whole.

What should have happened is exposure time on the home page should have been a standard duration from the beginning.. ie 1 page approved per week, anything less just serves old authors. This is what sites like Beatport do with their music artists, that is a fair and just system, which keeps content new and fresh! If the song is good it will sell longer, if not newer songs will have a chance, and newer talent is exposed.

This is a technology site, so buyers need to see the latest innovations. Envato fails to properly exposure new work.

623 posts
    Has referred more than 5000 members Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

But – and I think thats were this thread is wrong – at this point the homepage exposure is no longer necessary to earn good money from your theme and maybe end up in the popular file page.

So how do you propose the future talent compete with their first file, with no backing to afford their own advertising on their file?

When you joined the site you most likely had around 2 weeks exposure time on your first file, do you think 9hrs would have gotten your work ‘out there’?

This system only serves those with money to make more money – fact. It’s become more about profits and not about the community as a whole.

Well how do you explain the fact that 50% of the top 20 files do not have followers or tons of items to build up exposure over a long time?

Avada is the first item released by Themefusion and its the best seller of all time. Salient is the first item by Themenectar and its sold about 7k licenses and counting. Flatsome is the first item by UX-themes and it sold 1500 copies in 2 months. All those files didn’t have more than 2 days on the front, just like its now…

All of those authors “simply” released outstanding files to compete. At this point you HAVE to release outstanding files or you wont get any sales, now matter how Envato adapts the front page.

Competition is incredible fierce and anything less than excellent won’t cut it. And this is the same for new and old authors. Can’t count the number of themes, released by well known authors that didn’t sell well in recent months because they weren’t up to the the standards anymore.

1208 posts The Last Man Standing
    Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Had an item featured on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

at this point the homepage exposure is no longer necessary to earn good money from your theme and maybe end up in the popular file page.

I agree with this. My first and only item, sold 3 on its first day in Homepage with 2000+ visitors but yesterday after 60 days of its release date it sold 10 with only 110 visitors.

The thing is that I only have 60 followers and no ads anywhere. So buyers have found it right here.

As a buyer prospect, you don’t come to ThemeForest and simply click on the items in homepage and buy them. You will search for the theme that you feel that they will meet your client needs.

I know that popular items is important because purchasers will think that these popular items are good and are unique that are here in this page but it’s not all the story. You should stay good to stay in popular items. There are so many themes that are out of Pops after many months being there.

623 posts
    Has referred more than 5000 members Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Go for the niche themes. Competing in the niche sector is much easier than going for multipurpose/business/portfolio in the beginning.

Example: My first church theme Incarnation ended up in the popular files list for exactly one week, probably due to the aforementioned marketing leverage I have. It was gone one week later never to return. Yet it outsold a number of my business themes, despite the fact that the design is probably the least polished among all the themes I released during the last year.

And its still selling better than any number of my older themes, because it offers assets that other themes do not have. Sermon post type, deep calendar integration, audio player etc. Stuff that isn’t common. (Which in turn would support my previous theory that new ideas/features/designs generate better sales than a perfectly cloned theme)

So if you are new to the marketplace, start with church/charity/community/restaurant/nightclub themes and build yourself an audience. If you have mastered that go for the heavy stuff :)

664 posts
    Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

This system only serves those with money to make more money – fact. It’s become more about profits and not about the community as a whole.

Well how do you explain the fact that 50% of the top 20 files do not have followers or tons of items to build up exposure over a long time?

Avada is the first item released by Themefusion and its the best seller of all time. Salient is the first item by Themenectar and its sold about 7k licenses and counting. Flatsome is the first item by UX-themes and it sold 1500 copies in 2 months. All those files didn’t have more than 2 days on the front, just like its now…

All of those authors “simply” released outstanding files to compete. At this point you HAVE to release outstanding files or you wont get any sales, now matter how Envato adapts the front page.

Competition is incredible fierce and anything less than excellent won’t cut it. And this is the same for new and old authors. Can’t count the number of themes, released by well known authors that didn’t sell well in recent months because they weren’t up to the the standards anymore.

^ my thoughts.

Only thing I’d like to add: Rising overall quality standards will filter all that clone-crap and give more exposure to worthy items/authors.

I’m not talking about making ThemeForest a boutique. But it does not have to be a bazar (like it’s now) either.

Miroslav (from Dream-Theme)

1748 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

C’mon, the majority of the items on the second page of the WordPress category have at most 10 sales. This is definitely a joke. I understand that there might be some items that will not sell good, but not more than 50-60%.

How do you even approve a theme has the homepage part like this? http://prntscr.com/22hko3

How do you even approve something like “Beautiful”(theme on the first page of TF). No offense, but it’s way outdated compared to the current standards. It doesn’t have niche-specified elements to claim that it was accepted because there aren’t many items in that category because it looks like a simple normal theme that, by changing photos, can be converted into thousands of niches. And many more.

I’m really surprised with the quality of even some PSD items that got approved lately. It looks like quantity became really a priority vs quality.

623 posts
+9 more
Kriesi says

C’mon, the majority of the items on the second page of the WordPress category have at most 10 sales. This is definitely a joke. I understand that there might be some items that will not sell good, but not more than 50-60%.

How do you even approve a theme has the homepage part like this? http://prntscr.com/22hko3

How do you even approve something like “Beautiful”(theme on the first page of TF). No offense, but it’s way outdated compared to the current standards. It doesn’t have niche-specified elements to claim that it was accepted because there aren’t many items in that category because it looks like a simple normal theme that, by changing photos, can be converted into thousands of niches. And many more.

I’m really surprised with the quality of even some PSD items that got approved lately. It looks like quantity became really a priority vs quality.

I am not arguing with that. I agree that there are too many clones and copycats. What I say is that if you don’t accept those items and therefore increase the exposure time on the front page for maybe a day or two, it wouldn’t make a difference if you end up having a top seller or not.

If a file doesn’t make it to the popular file page with 2 days on the frontpage but then barely makes it with 4 days its usually only there for one week and gone afterwards.

I have experienced this often enough myself, getting about 60 sales in the first week with a theme, barely ending up on the popular page only to be gone in the next week. It was never a fault of the system but a problem with my item not being good enough…

4594 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Those are exceptions because those files are exceptionally better to any other older file on the marketplace.

My point is not completely leveling the playing field, it’s about distributing exposure and profits in proportion to the relevance and quality of work to promote better income for new authors and talent.

Something like this:

\\

Top selling files are good, but lets be honest here their profits are hyper inflated, and not really a true reflection of all the other great files Envato has to offer.

336 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

@Kriesi:

You mention some of the popular files – no matter if WP or HTML – are newer files and that people get to make that list. Agreed. Thing is, most the new files in popular are merely rehashing the looks of older templates. Adding a different icons set, a different image in parallaxes and claim uniqueness.

Truth is, not more than 15-20% of each week’s popular files brings anything new to the table. So, if I want to give my next template a chance to sell and push it in populars, I kinda need to rehash some of the glitter that other files have used buyers to.

Among these: layer sliders, custom scroll bars, X parallax sections, viewport animation. And all with complete disregard to usability, user experience, loading speed, etc.

Right this moment there’s a template on home claiming full responsiveness that crashes my iPad’s browser on each try to load the preview. And it’s not the only one. This is the kind of things that puts new files in popular. And while the glitter is nice to some eyes, it’s like you have a shit load of money, you’re 90 years old and you get yourself a trophy wife that not only is completely dumb, you also can’t get any physical gratification from her due to your age. :)

Bottom line is: Homepage doesn’t work properly. This leads to people jumping to the next best thing: the popularity contest. When that doesn’t really provide much novelty from a week to the other, the move to the third best thing: the search, and we all know that’s a fail still. So what buyers do? They go to category level, at best skim through the first page then they switch to “Sales” order and good bye. Same old files getting the cut.

Flawed.

4594 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

Go for the niche themes. Competing in the niche sector is much easier than going for multipurpose/business/portfolio in the beginning.

That is not being competitive, and content won’t remain fresh on the site.. is that your solution.. We should be showcasing new ideas, new talent.. instead of filling up niches with over exposed old files to make a profit. That is a dead end solution to make this site stagnant. We should be seeing a marketplace with new and fresh popular files each week! Just like you don’t want to see the same music on the same music chart for years.

by
by
by
by
by
by