623 posts
    Has referred more than 5000 members Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in a magazine
+10 more
Kriesi says

But – and I think thats were this thread is wrong – at this point the homepage exposure is no longer necessary to earn good money from your theme and maybe end up in the popular file page.
So how do you propose the future talent compete with their first file, with no backing to afford their own advertising on their file?

Go for the niche themes. Competing in the niche sector is much easier than going for multipurpose/business/portfolio in the beginning.

That is not being competitive, and content won’t remain fresh on the site.. is that your solution.. We should be showcasing new ideas, new talent.. instead of filling up niches with over exposed old files to make a profit. That is a dead end solution to make this site stagnant.

Thats probably the point were we disagree the most. This is a marketplace, its business, its competitive by nature. trying to showcase someones files just because they are “new” is charity. Same goes for showcasing someones stuff just because he is “a long time member”, of course.

But i really don’t think thats the case here, since everyone gets the same (short) amount of exposure on the front. I have released a dozen of items during the last 2 years and none of them was on the popular list for long. I have released what is arguably my best theme and it sticks. Other authors have never released an item before and come up with something great and it sticks as well. I really don’t see the problem: release something that people truly like and a single theme can make a lot of money for you.

We should be showcasing new ideas, new talent.. instead of filling up niches with over exposed old files to make a profit. That is a dead end solution to make this site stagnant.

People have claimed that this site is stagnant for years now and it still keeps evolving with the market and often enough also leading the market and breaking new ground. If a file is outdated people will stop buying it. Its as simple as that. Again as an example: inFocus, one of the most popular themes of all time. Was on the popular list for what seems forever. But the market shifted, people wanted different features and different designs and it left the popular file list.

One thing that wasnt discussed yet but I think its probably one of the most important perks of the current system: It’s even in the buyers best interest that a theme sells well for a long period of time, since only then can an author justify to add new features to the theme. A system that would bury any file within the depths of the forest only because its older than 6 months wouldn’t help anyone.

Buyers would never get more than a few months of feature updates. New authors would get more exposure at first but guess what: There would be hundreds of new files by experienced authors every month, simply because having a single item and updating it would no longer be a viable strategy. I don’t think it would make life any easier if you are new to the marketplace…

662 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+6 more
Dream-Theme says

We should be seeing a marketplace with new and fresh popular files each week!

IMO this will result not in good and unique themes but in massive crap flood. Why making something good if you do not make profit on it?

1999 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Avada, Salient and so on are monster sellers, they probably were already in the popular section in like 12h or less.

More than half of that page is made by themes selling 50-100 per week and, for them, 2-3 more days of home exposure do really make the difference.

The fact that those themes may be out of popular the week after is irrelevant since 7 days in there generate those sales / exposure / followers / ratings that help new authors build their TF reputation, not to mention the income and % raise.

Right now, if a theme with a 60-70 sales/week potential gets approved > thursday, it will never make it to popular and it may still fail if approved earlier but as first of a 30 items batch.

This has to change.

4594 posts Love & Light
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
digitalscience says

We should be seeing a marketplace with new and fresh popular files each week!
IMO this will result not in good and unique themes but in massive crap flood. Why making something good if you do not make profit on it?

Nope, because the site will become incredibly competitive – any new file at the same level of top files can potentially knock off any long time seller on the popular files.

Which means 1) Top authors will upload more new files and be more competive instead of updating old files all the time 2) New talent has more of a chance to make profits 3) The site will remain new and fresh.

If anyone uploads crap, it won’t sell.. because everything must be at the same level to be competitive.. I’m not sure if you’re following how the new system would work… but it would be a lot like how the site was when it first started – you know, when there was proper initial exposure and the first top sellers began to appear ;) The site worked well then, and it will work well again once changes are made! The only people who won’t like this change, is the top sellers, but all they have to do is make new files and be competitive with the new talent :) That’s how this site should work, otherwise we won’t be progressing.

623 posts
    Has referred more than 5000 members Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in a magazine
+10 more
Kriesi says

Avada, Salient and so on are monster sellers, they probably were already in the popular section in like 12h or less.

More than half of that page is made by themes selling 50-100 per week and, for them, 2-3 more days of home exposure do really make the difference.

Yet again: best example is Salient: This was a theme with solid 200 sales per week in the beginning. Then it was closer to 100 for a long time and it was in danger of fading out. But it was making enough money for the author for a long time so he was able to improve it a lot and in the end was able to turn it into a real monster. Benefits both the author and all the existing customers as well as future ones.

And you are right, timing of the approval day is certainly a random element. But a theme that does only make it into the popular file list because of 4 days of homepage exposure will not stay there. Been there done that. More than once, unfortunately :/

And I want to note again, because i feel people are thinking I am against re-working the front page to evenly distribute exposure there: I am not. On the contrary. I just think that people put too much hopes into the frontpage and that its no longer necessary for a file to generate sales that enable you to make a living…

175 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
ThemePrince says

So, Envato, here’s the list what the marketplace needs:

• Raise standards a little bit to filter those cloned and same looking themes
  • Better homepage layout to showcase new items
  • Better review/approval timing, max 30 items/week or let’s say 30 items/5 days (if there are so many quality items), so every author gets his/her 15 minutes of fame
623 posts
+10 more
Kriesi says

Which means 1) Top authors will upload more new files and be more competive instead of updating old files all the time

Seriously? You think thats a good thing?

19 posts
    Located in United Kingdom
tpfkyola says

They are popular because people buy them – that’s it.

This is a marketplace and soon things will change its way. Just like fashion, remember the days when we have those wide pants and now we laugh at it. It’s not about exposure, it’s about the quality of your item that make you as ‘top seller’. If your item don’t sell, it’s either because of bad quality or you offer no value to buyers. Simple. Tested. Proven. Period.

While I appreciate this community, I was very disheartened by reading that Envato should stop accepting new themes from new authors as possible ways of solving this what you called an issue. There are new authors who are doing their stuff very2x well and their work is few classes higher that the work of the Elite author who said it (no offense).

Back to the topic, I think Envato needs to partially stop accepting swiss army themes. Hey, in my 9 years as a WordPress theme designer. There is no such thing as ‘Multi-purpose’ theme. It should belong where it should.

My two cents.

5860 posts
    Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

\\

4594 posts Love & Light
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
digitalscience says

Which means 1) Top authors will upload more new files and be more competive instead of updating old files all the time
Seriously? You think thats a good thing?

What I mean by updating.. Is having a theme that becomes popular.. and instead of making new themes, authors just focus on making an elaborate power theme with years of development which just blows out any competition.. That is a monopoly… I’m not saying don’t look after the files with updates ;) These super themes just keep the same content on the site… with better exposure / more competition we’ll see top authors making new files and being creative and bringing new ideas to the table – instead of milking the system with the same old files.

by
by
by
by
by
by