382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
QBKL says

Addendum to my previous answer: I just read the suggestion by another user that the popular files should display the last 7 days and change each day, instead of once per week and I really like that.

Glad you liked it, and it’s important that other authors would stand behind such an idea too, particularly authors with a good reputation, elites. This change, development wise, would be a simple breeze to implement and would be great if we can push for it as it can be done fast, yet have a huge impact.

Let’s get a “Last 7 days popular” daily instead of “Last week” by calendar. Pretty please, Envato?

776 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Theoretically, transforming “Weekly Top Sellers” in simple “Top Sellers” and recalculating the page every 24-48h will do the job. BUT there are numerous ways to abuse the system: e.g. buy your theme 20 times – boom, you’re in Top Sellers!

776 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

If we have another section like “Top new items”, that will serve as a bridge and avoid sudden death of potential new items. This also technically possible and buyers need this too.
Actually that’s a brilliant idea!

“Top new items” = sort by relevance (correct?)
so Envato should perhaps predefine or improve the way how relevance is calculated

my suggestion is to optimize the ratio between the publicate date + number of sales + rating

This is even better. But it will take Envato about 4 years to implement :D

(2 Envato Devs. Guys, no offense, we’re all just know that things are moving a bit slow.)

29 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
tpfkyola says

Theoretically, transforming “Weekly Top Sellers” in simple “Top Sellers” and recalculating the page every 24-48h will do the job. BUT there are numerous ways to abuse the system: e.g. buy your theme 20 times – boom, you’re in Top Sellers!

We all know that this is illegal and is not a feasible way to stay on top.

29 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
tpfkyola says

If we have another section like “Top new items”, that will serve as a bridge and avoid sudden death of potential new items. This also technically possible and buyers need this too.

so Envato should perhaps predefine or improve the way how relevance is calculated

my suggestion is to optimize the ratio between the publicate date + number of sales + rating

(2 Envato Devs. Guys, no offense, we’re all just know that things are moving a bit slow.)

I agree. I’m pretty sure they are focus more on scaling. Implementing a feature for 3 million users is quite a delicate process. Even a simple search could make the entire server down if not implemented properly, do not underestimate it. Envato is very careful with what to implement and not. Practically, they have no competitors, and that is why they take a tons of time planning. lol

4710 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

I just read the suggestion by another user that the popular files should display the last 7 days and change each day, instead of once per week and I really like that. Would remove any “planning” on when to submit the item so its hopefully accepted at the beginning of the next week and level the playing field among new items :)
Fantastic Idea, that would help level the playing field a little and give a real insight as to what is selling day by day :)

+1

Also I think last 3 months popular items is quite a big time period, if we have daily updates on weekly, a monthly update for top files makes sense.

631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Petition to Envato about Top new items? :)
Whatever may be the case, still an item requires certain minimum amount of initial exposure to enter these pages. So lets not forget about fixed/limited number of item approvals per day. :D

Problem is that you would inevitably create a backlog of items. After one year of using this you would probably upload an item to get it released 3 months later :P

Thats not a real solution, and to be honest I don’t think there is a good one for front page exposure. If you look at other marketplaces with high volumes of items accepted: No one has a better solution. They either have no new item section on the front at all (istockphoto and other photo marketplaces) or a curated version like the app stores. Other then splitting themeforest and separating wordpress from the rest to keep it intentionally “small” I dont see how this could be changed. (And I don’t think that this would be a smart solution either)

546 posts uouapps
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
uouapps says

What would be even better is to create a metrics tool that allows users to predefine their own criterias of a TOP NEW ITEMS / Relevance

something flexible like this:

1553 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

Weekly top sellers should be posted by category.
Why would I care what is the top seller for past week in WordPress if I’m interested in Ghost themes? Or if I’m looking for photography WP template instead of business theme.
There is a lot to be learned from stock photography sites and how they handle things.

40 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+7 more
vamtam says

This is my first post for a reason :).

I would argue that this is entirely f?ir marketplace.

Lets change the item position of the top weekly, top category sales, all time WP sales pages and see if the items generate the same amount of sales in the next few months. This will prove that the market is fair and the clients easily find the best items.

Unfortunately this won’t happen, because the sales are driven by quality and traffic. The traffic comes mostly from a few channels – Top Weekly being the most important , All time category sorted by sales second and then keyword search again sorted by sales.

Big chunk of the sales are impulse based due to lack of time, too many items and not enough knowledge to choose the best one, so the safe bet is – sales. If an item has generated sales to go to number one position in its category this is for a reason, so the saying goes.

The things outlined above leads to the absurd situation that an item with superior design and framework quality to any of the Top Weekly files is released only to go to position 5- 50 and only generate a few thousand sales, while they deserve the same faith as any of the one that have generated 20000 + sales.

Do you call this fare?

What you have to do to get to number 1 in top weekly sales?

1. Your item should be of superior design and framework quality to the one currently in that position to the extend that  blows your mind when you see it :)
2. You release the theme at the beginning of the week :) 
3. The item currently in position number 1 must be really outdated.
4. The item currently in that position is not marketed aggressively by the author :)

As you can see 3 out of 4 rules are out of the authors control.

Do you call this fare?

It is obvious that any item in top 5 in top weekly is there for a reason, one being of exceptional quality. What is flowed is that they stay there much longer that they should be harboured by Themeforest website structure and search.

When an item has generated 40000 sales and you release an item superior to it and you have 5000 sales – there must be something wrong with the system :).

The first mover advantage is way over leveraged here and I think it is in the interest of all parts – clients, Envato, authors to find quick solution.

Competition is good but the marketplace should be ? level playing field.

It is obvious that the authors currently in good position will favour the status quo. One thing is certain Envato will call the shots at the end hopefully not too late.

Nikolay – Vamtam

by
by
by
by
by
by