1322 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
ImanGM says

To offer a little insight here, I’d say for me at least, being the featured item has added roughly 30% to sales of that item, however being the featured author seems to have added very little in terms of sales, much more in terms of followers.

I was on the front page for 4 continuous weeks as featured file but my item didn’t find a way to popular items! Yes, I’ve sold more but not that too much that some authors think being on front page will increase the sales.

It’s simply because people will not enter the homepage and randomly click on an item and purchase it. They will search for what they need.

I think all of this thread is not going to change anything because there is no real solution for this situation. Marketplace is growing and just like any other market, if we want more sales, we should do more advertisements.

I think that the only thing that will help is a better search and more search options….

Cheers,
Iman

3750 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

^ True.

This homepage mumbo jumbo has been on Envato for long, and personally i think it worries more to authors than real buyers.

168 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

Wherever the clients may be, be it on the homepage, or the categories, the fact of the matter is that there is an incredible amount of items being approved on a daily basis, and it seems that most of us agree on that part.

For many of us, ThemeForest is the only source of income, and a very profitable one at that as well, but I am afraid what it might turn into, if this trend continues in the future. If oversaturation becomes a reality, then many authors will (maybe) have to reconsider their options, as their income will not be able to cover all the costs of running a business, and leading a normal life. I see in this thread that this has already happened to a reputable elite author, but I hope it won’t start happening on a large scale in the future.

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

For many of us, ThemeForest is the only source of income, and a very profitable one at that as well, but I am afraid what it might turn into, if this trend continues in the future. If oversaturation becomes a reality, then many authors will (maybe) have to reconsider their options[...]

It does look like a scary thought, but it’s a free market where people come and go as they decide. And as you said, people get to make a good buck here. This will always attract new people chasing “the dream”. That’s how every successful market works. And TF being a free market, you can’t stop this kind of growth. You can only try and regulate and adjust it on the go to maintain the balance.

And if you ask me, rule number one is the old saying: “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket”. And if you do, make sure you get to build a good reserve for when ** hits the fan and you need to look for other options. So, it all comes down to a better managed market from Envato’s part and a better micro-management from authors to keep ahead of the ever-growing – like in any other field – competition.

168 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

Nicely said; I fully agree with you. Besides, I am all up for growth, but the “infrastructure” of the marketplace needs to change as well, to adjust to that growth, just like you said. I see things are slowly moving forward at Envato, so I hope something will move forward in this department as well.

For many of us, ThemeForest is the only source of income, and a very profitable one at that as well, but I am afraid what it might turn into, if this trend continues in the future. If oversaturation becomes a reality, then many authors will (maybe) have to reconsider their options[...]

It does look like a scary thought, but it’s a free market where people come and go as they decide. And as you said, people get to make a good buck here. This will always attract new people chasing “the dream”. That’s how every successful market works. And TF being a free market, you can’t stop this kind of growth. You can only try and regulate and adjust it on the go to maintain the balance.

And if you ask me, rule number one is the old saying: “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket”. And if you do, make sure you get to build a good reserve for when ** hits the fan and you need to look for other options. So, it all comes down to a better managed market from Envato’s part and a better micro-management from authors to keep ahead of the ever-growing – like in any other field – competition.
38 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+7 more
vamtam says

What do we need to boost our sales? We need traffic. How to get traffic? You need more sales. :) What an irony.

368 posts
+5 more
QBKL says

How to get traffic? You need more sales. :) What an irony.

Come on, you can drive traffic to items through many other channels, blogs, social media, ads, self-promotions while helping people etc… it’s not a case of “the chicken or the egg”. :)

38 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+7 more
vamtam says

Come on, you can drive traffic to items through many other channels, blogs, social media, ads, self-promotions while helping people etc… it’s not a case of “the chicken or the egg”. :)

If it was that easy, we wouldn’t need Themeforest, would we? You need time and resources to make successful blog for example. Only repeated sales from existing clients is a good chanel and yet again you need clientbase for that. An insight from top authors will be helpful I think but I doubt that external marketing make huge difference.

3577 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Not all of us do that. I don’t blog, don’t social, don’t ads, don’t self, don’t anything :D

368 posts
+5 more
QBKL says

Guy, I didn’t say everyone does or should do that. Just stated that there are more channels that can drive traffic to our items.

For example, some said earlier the a good deal of the sales of some big themes comes from unpaid promotion. That means theme round-ups on popular blogs, submissions to design galleries and so on. Of course, this means you need to have a pretty darn great looking item, but it’s a different way to attract traffic. We’re only tied up to sales->traffic->sales by our own choice or in some cases, resources (time or money, which ends up being the same thing).

I [...] don’t anything :D

Except good products and money. :) Nice portfolio btw, never got to tell you that.

by
by
by
by
by
by