3581 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

usually when you release a new item it will get picked up by a lot of dudes with their own WP review sites, etc.
And actually Envato is paying for this by paying 30% for the referral cuts to these sites.

What?! Where did you come with this from? My point was not about exposure but about your questions regarding referrals. There are a lot of users who have their own sites and try to make money from the referral system, this has absolutely nothing to do with Envato. I was just teaching you how to steal their referrals nothing more :)

1329 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

^ Actually I was trying to give my opinion about this post and later posts from other unhappy authors by using your own words ;)

What I want to say is that Envato people are doing their job as good as possible. ThemeForest is not only its homepage that authors in this thread are not happy with their items exposure duration on it.

They are doing great promotions for our items. One of them is this referral program that is making so many people around the world to start sites that will earn a lot from Envato by advertising for our items.

we are not paying Envato 30% for a nice profile page and some badges. We are paying them for the ecosystem which should draw promotion. I shouldn’t spend a nickle or a minute trying to promote myself that’s why i give 30% of my share to Envato it’s their job.
629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

usually when you release a new item it will get picked up by a lot of dudes with their own WP review sites, etc.
And actually Envato is paying for this by paying 30% for the referral cuts to these sites.
What?! Where did you come with this from? My point was not about exposure but about your questions regarding referrals. There are a lot of users who have their own sites and try to make money from the referral system, this has absolutely nothing to do with Envato. I was just teaching you how to steal their referrals nothing more :)

What he is probably trying to say is that without us paying 30% to envato there would be no way envato could afford the ref program and there would be no ref sites linking to themeforest :)

In the end I really dont’t think that anyone can claim that envato does a bad marketing job. The network has 3.1 Million members and is growing every day. You can just do what Ruben does (no marketing at all, on any channel) and still sell items worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Better 70% of that than 30% of nothing ;D

3581 posts Ruben Bristian
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Whatever guys, the fact remains.. The homepage needs to be changed, the search engine needs to be improved (a lot and with real features not the ones promised until now by the dedicated team), and no matter you say, until these things happen the authors will have to suffer.

Have a great weekend y’all! :D

168 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

Or we can just sit back, and watch all these multi-purpose and one-page themes flood the marketplace, while the folks behind it claim they are all up for uniqueness.

Whatever guys, the fact remains.. The homepage needs to be changed, the search engine needs to be improved (a lot and with real features not the ones promised until now by the dedicated team), and no matter you say, until these things happen the authors will have to suffer. Have a great weekend y’all! :D
168 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

Or we can just sit back, and watch all these multi-purpose and one-page themes flood the marketplace, while the folks behind it claim they are all up for uniqueness.

Whatever guys, the fact remains.. The homepage needs to be changed, the search engine needs to be improved (a lot and with real features not the ones promised until now by the dedicated team), and no matter you say, until these things happen the authors will have to suffer. Have a great weekend y’all! :D
38 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+7 more
vamtam says

Mate, great portfolio and you are definitely the prove that uniqueness sales. The quality bar should be raised but as you know design is subjective and I can foresee many authors complaining after that why my item is not in while the item x is just approved :)

The submissions have grown with the market and I doubt that the ratio submission/approvals has changed a lot throughout the years.

Lets concentrate on the real issue – traffic distribution within the marketplace.

At the moment traffic is forwarded towards a few items in each category, simply because search and top charts are based on sales. As long as this remains many great items are screwed. Many authors suggested great ideas to fix this, let’s hope someone listens.

Nikolay – Vamtam

1329 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

You can just do what Ruben does (no marketing at all, on any channel) and still sell items worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Better 70% of that than 30% of nothing ;D

Yes. This is what I’m trying to say :) Authors on Envato are making so much money because of their great works and of course because their items are published on ThemeForest, And Envato is growing so fast because of its great marketing and business model and of course because of our items.

This is a win win situation and it’s working fine even now that more items are added to the homepage everyday. I can’t agree with authors that say their items are not selling because so many items are released on HP everyday. Every week new items are entering the popular items and this means that current system is still working.

the search engine needs to be improved

I completely agree with this part. Buyers will use search engine to choose what they need. But pushing more items into the homepage will only make them confused.

Have a great weekend y’all! :D

You too! ;)

4682 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

The facts are – most authors complain that it’s becoming harder and harder to sell items here, yet there are a handful achieving exponential success – unheard of turn over compared to any other marketplace on the internet. I’m not saying those authors are not deserving of that success – I’m just saying the Envato buyer pool of revenue should be spread out in more proportion. With a few tweaks to exposure everyone could enjoy good profits, top sellers & new authors. We hear a lot of negativity that things won’t or can’t change.. but the reality is, large amounts of revenue is moving through this site on a daily basis and so are new files and new authors, with exposure analyzed and optimized better, everyone could enjoy good profits on Envato.

6030 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

... I can’t agree with authors that say their items are not selling because so many items are released on HP [Home Page] everyday. Every week new items are entering the popular items and this means that current system is still working.

Personally I wont say my items aren’t selling because of lack of initial exposure. However I can understand those who complains; they are asking for consistency and not necessarily demanding a big result on sales! I think that’s fair request.

You pointed that since we are able to see new items on weekly popular, it proves as the initial exposure are fine. But consider that not all the sub-categories and mid-range files are getting their share of exposures. These can never be found on weekly popular. This is why initial exposure shouldn’t be inconsistent and search needs wide range of filters. If an item misses some share of initial sales, it will reflect its fate on search results too.

If an item can make only 10 sales per week as per the buyer demands, some way our navigation needs to try displaying such items into its buyers (so that it doesn’t loses atleast 5 sales range). Not just showing 100 sales / week worth of items reachable by its buyers! ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by