1553 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

Biggest image stock websites have a feature in their algorithms that tries to “even out” the results presented to the buyer. You will almost never get the same results for the same exact search.

6085 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Biggest image stock websites have a feature in their algorithms that tries to “even out” the results presented to the buyer. You will almost never get the same results for the same exact search.

Happens because the keywords and all the criteria matching for multiple images (100s if not 1000s). That’s pretty fairly possible for a library where quantity is gigantic.

However even with same quantity search results, such things wont happen on PhotoDune because… :D we have weekly top seller page! \\

631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

The facts are – most authors complain that it’s becoming harder and harder to sell items here, yet there are a handful achieving exponential success – unheard of turn over compared to any other marketplace on the internet.

How is that a fact? I would say almost the entire opposite is a fact: In most marketplaces a very tiny amount of people make the majority of money. Its not even limited to digital marketplaces, this is a global phenomenon. It even has a name!

Its called the Pareto Principle or the 80/20 rule

On Istockphoto only 0,2% of the photographers earn 25% of the money. App stores are even worse:

At the beginning of the year, revenues from the apple app store and the google play store were examined and the result: 50% of the income is generated by 25 developers. (not even 25%, just 25 developers from among 275,000 of just the apple app store! Thats roughly 0,01% )

I made a rough estimation based on themeforest all time sales and the distribution ratio is A LOT better here. Even the top 50 Authors (1,7% of authors) combined do not crack the 50% mark of sales, which is hundred times better than the app store ratio and multiple times better than istock.

So please stop telling people how broken themeforest is when its in fact much fairer than most other digital marketplaces. It wont help anyone. It will only induce further complain-threads when the proposed changes do not show any significant impact on their earnings.

I wholeheartedly agree with those proposed changes: that front page exposure should be distributed equally, that the search needs to improve, that the popular items list should be updated once per day etc. But as authors we should mention those problems and then try to push our own product instead of complaining constantly and waiting that some new search algorithm will fix our business.

Because taking a look at other marketplaces will tell you: it wont happen :)

381 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
GoodLayers says

The facts are – most authors complain that it’s becoming harder and harder to sell items here, yet there are a handful achieving exponential success – unheard of turn over compared to any other marketplace on the internet.

How is that a fact? I would say almost the entire opposite is a fact: In most marketplaces a very tiny amount of people make the majority of money. Its not even limited to digital marketplaces, this is a global phenomenon. It even has a name!

Its called the Pareto Principle or the 80/20 rule

On Istockphoto only 0,2% of the photographers earn 25% of the money. App stores are even worse:

At the beginning of the year, revenues from the apple app store and the google play store were examined and the result: 50% of the income is generated by 25 developers. (not even 25%, just 25 developers from among 275,000 of just the apple app store! Thats roughly 0,01% )

I made a rough estimation based on themeforest all time sales and the distribution ratio is A LOT better here. Even the top 50 Authors (1,7% of authors) combined do not crack the 50% mark of sales, which is hundred times better than the app store ratio and multiple times better than istock.

So please stop telling people how broken themeforest is when its in fact much fairer than most other digital marketplaces. It wont help anyone. It will only induce further complain-threads when the proposed changes do not show any significant impact on their earnings.

I wholeheartedly agree with those proposed changes: that front page exposure should be distributed equally, that the search needs to improve, that the popular items list should be updated once per day etc. But as authors we should mention those problems and then try to push our own product instead of complaining constantly and waiting that some new search algorithm will fix our business.

Because taking a look at other marketplaces will tell you: it wont happen :)

Yeah! Well said Christian!

118 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Romania
+1 more
cippo says

I totally agree with Kriesi. He said it all. Period.

1587 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+5 more
Anps says

Hi

Hehe, this is all somehow remanding me of some really big capitalist country were that small % of rich people protect there assets and the system since if it changes it will go down for them :)

Don’t get me wrong I am all about that, just let the market eliminate the weed. But you have to know that as it was already mentioned we pay 30% commission for the exposure and the marketing aspect of the site so when it happens that you don’t have this exposure or it devalues you kind of should’t pay for the service.

In other economic system you have progressive tax so more you make more you pay taxes or in this case commission here it’s different you get bigger you pay less and get more and more.

Now in ideal world it’s OK that if you are better you get more, but do not say its fair since it’s not, but hay as I sad let market clear it up and as with products that do not evolve it will for sure happen to the market place itself (though not soon) but people will start to migrate and with authors so will customers.

But never the less respect to those 20% we all want in there and if reality if we were there we would all be on your side probably or just be quiet :)

Cheers

631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

But you have to know that as it was already mentioned we pay 30% commission for the exposure and the marketing aspect of the site so when it happens that you don’t have this exposure or it devalues you kind of should’t pay for the service.

Thats exactly how it is already. If you don’t sell your item you dont pay the 30%. Envato doesnt take your money upfront or something :)

In other economic system you have progressive tax so more you make more you pay taxes or in this case commission here it’s different you get bigger you pay less and get more and more.

And its a smart move that it is like that. Otherwise every single elite author would open his own site or switch marketplace, because at some point it wouldn’t make sense any more to stay here. Pretty similar to rich individuals moving their homes to tax havens. Just easier in our case :)

But never the less respect to those 20% we all want in there and if reality if we were there we would all be on your side probably or just be quiet

Actually you are already within the top 15% of authors here, so kudos for that :)

1587 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+5 more
Anps says

Thats exactly how it is already. If you don’t sell your item you dont pay the 30%. Envato doesnt take your money upfront or something :)

Actually I don’t agree with this since, you invest time in your theme and it should be exposed as it should be, since I do not pay for sales I pay for there service which is exposure and marketing platform. Its a bigger problem since most of us a bit older authors registered and agreed with the terms from back then and then it changed there for the service has changed there for the conditions should change for the other side to or just find a way to evolve and provide other solutions (a lot were suggested here)

And its a smart move that it is like that. Otherwise every single elite author would open his own site or switch marketplace, because at some point it wouldn’t make sense any more to stay here. Pretty similar to rich individuals moving their homes to tax havens. Just easier in our case :)

Yes well either way is not a perfect world, this is a major political problem all over the world, but the point is this is how you satisfy that small % and leave others to hang and “suffer”

Actually you are already within the top 15% of authors here, so kudos for that :)

Heh yea well you know which % I mean, but nice twist of view anyway :)

All this debate reminds me on Slavuj Zizeks talks :)

... I just love this kind of debates :)

Damn I can just image a nice pub, unlimited beer would debate with alcohol our livers to absolute destruction :)

Cheers

1354 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+8 more
ImanGM says

we pay 30% commission for the exposure and the marketing aspect of the site so when it happens that you don’t have this exposure or it devalues you kind of should’t pay for the service.

Do you really believe that items are not getting enough exposure and Envato’s marketing is not enough?

40 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+7 more
vamtam says

we pay 30% commission for the exposure and the marketing aspect of the site so when it happens that you don’t have this exposure or it devalues you kind of should’t pay for the service.
Do you really believe that items are not getting enough exposure and Envato’s marketing is not enough?

Envato marketing is great a few would argue that – from a million members to 3 in less than 3 years. The exposure within the marketplace is the issue.

by
by
by
by
by
by