• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
ImanGM says

we pay 30% commission for the exposure and the marketing aspect of the site so when it happens that you don’t have this exposure or it devalues you kind of should’t pay for the service.
Do you really believe that items are not getting enough exposure and Envato’s marketing is not enough?
Envato marketing is great a few would argue that – from a million members to 3 in less than 3 years. The exposure within the marketplace is the issue.

But exposure is not only what is happening on ThemeForest homepage. Just search for “best wordpress theme” on Google and see the millions of results. There are countless websites that are advertising for us for free because they will earn from Envato referral program.

So exposure is enough. If there is a way to increase it, it will be more than great. I’ve seen a new theme that released today and it sells about 20 in the weekend and just in a few hours. So if a theme is good enough, it will sell more and more.

I was 4 weeks on the homepage as featured item but I was not able to sell more than 50 items per week. This doesn’t mean that there is a problem with the marketplace, probably I was not good enough to sell more…

Cheers,
Iman

24 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
vamtam says

:)

24 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+2 more
vamtam says

The facts are – most authors complain that it’s becoming harder and harder to sell items here, yet there are a handful achieving exponential success – unheard of turn over compared to any other marketplace on the internet.
The exponential success is only partly due to qualities of the items in questions. Big roles plays the exposure within the site and circumstances outside of authors control in the first few weeks of the release of the item.

How is that a fact? I would say almost the entire opposite is a fact: In most marketplaces a very tiny amount of people make the majority of money. Its not even limited to digital marketplaces, this is a global phenomenon. It even has a name! Its called the Pareto Principle or the 80/20 rule

Pareto principle works nicely and in most of the IT industries the norm is rather 10/90. search, mail clients, browsers to name but a few. In industries where design plays a part you never get that concentration unless you have barriers to entry. Mobile handset makers for example – you need billions of dollars investment and very strong brands. Creating a theme is relatively easy process and any bunch of talented people can compete successfully. You have thousands of creative agencies throughout the word and revenue and clients is not in the hand of several firms.

At the beginning of the year, revenues from the apple app store and the google play store were examined and the result: 50% of the income is generated by 25 developers. (not even 25%, just 25 developers from among 275,000 of just the apple app store! Thats roughly 0,01% )
25 DEVELOPERS?? The developer can have hundreds of items. Lets see the developers : Disney, ?Electronic Arts, Gameloft, Glu, Kabam, Rovio, Storm8, and Zynga, :) , WOW – I don’t see such brands in here. Creating Angry Birds  is very expensive process that only big companies can afford. I don’t think this example has something to do with Themeforest.

I made a rough estimation based on themeforest all time sales and the distribution ratio is A LOT better here. Even the top 50 Authors (1,7% of authors) combined do not crack the 50% mark of sales, which is hundred times better than the app store ratio and multiple times better than istock.
This statistic is not relevant as well. You have authors with 200 items and authors with only one item. And site structure and search favors items not authors.

On Istockphoto only 0,2% of the photographers earn 25% of the money.

0.2 of the contributors have 7 % of the items – this is relevant :). So basically 7 % of the items generate 25 % of the revenue and this sounds much better.

– 2013 October Top five items weekly – 2300 sales Bottom five items weekly -300 sales Ratio – 7.7

-2012 October Top five items weekly – 1140 sales Bottom five items weekly -280 sales Ratio – 4

– 2011 October Top five items weekly – 730 sales Bottom five items weekly – 230 sales Ratio – 3.2

As you can see year after year more and more sales goes to the top five. The situation is even worse if you take only the number 1 item.

24 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+2 more
vamtam says

we pay 30% commission for the exposure and the marketing aspect of the site so when it happens that you don’t have this exposure or it devalues you kind of should’t pay for the service.
Do you really believe that items are not getting enough exposure and Envato’s marketing is not enough?
Envato marketing is great a few would argue that – from a million members to 3 in less than 3 years. The exposure within the marketplace is the issue.

But exposure is not only what is happening on ThemeForest homepage. Just search for “best wordpress theme” on Google and see the millions of results. There are countless websites that are advertising for us for free because they will earn from Envato referral program.

So exposure is enough. If there is a way to increase it, it will be more than great. I’ve seen a new theme that released today and it sells about 20 in the weekend and just in a few hours. So if a theme is good enough, it will sell more and more.

I was 4 weeks on the homepage as featured item but I was not able to sell more than 50 items per week. This doesn’t mean that there is a problem with the marketplace, probably I was not good enough to sell more…

Cheers,
Iman

That’s more than clear – when you have a good item you have good sales and the opposite is true. Unfortunately is artificially leveraged and I suppose this makes people chasing change.

1364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

The point is not how much sales I get or don’t get, I am talking about what kind of service I get for my money before you got 1 week of exposure on front page of themeforest for your theme now you get 24 hours if your not luck, if you are luck 2 days tops.

So before 1 week for 30% commission now 1 day for the same thing, that is the point here, but nobody wants to pay less commission, authors are just asking to implement certain updates.

And if you go on quality of items, lets see, find a item that has almost all features same then some of old top sellers and has better design or overall superior item and ask your self the same thing i did, why o why it does’t surpass it on weekly time?

130 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
WilcoMatla says

Wouldn’t a good solution be to just extend the “New Item” section with 80 items instead of the current 40? That way the exposure will maintain longer for each new item.

5 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • United States
cdesign71 says

I’m my opinion the ThemeForest bubble is starting to bust, it has cheapened the web development a lot. The next step would be another marketplace with 10$-15$ WP themes, I’m sure most people here will be OK with these prices as long as they sell.

5754 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@Kriesi, comparing iStock, Google Play Store, Apple App store and analyzing with Pareto Principle are wrong way to justify the sales related complaints here.(May be iStock – PhotoDune comparisons can be slightly sensible)

The root cause of complaints are not just on sales / profit but deficiencies on navigation and features. The buyers also complains. Sales related complaints starts after observing a deficiency/inconsistency in navigation. When there is no significant improvements made for more than 4-5 years on exposure channels, Pareto Principle doesn’t going to justify the apparent /suspected loses on profit.

1090 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
ImanGM says

Wouldn’t a good solution be to just extend the “New Item” section with 80 items instead of the current 40? That way the exposure will maintain longer for each new item.

I don’t think so. This way when a client enters the homepage will see lots of thumbnails of themes and this will make them confused. By doing this, items will stay more on homepage but I believe it will not make them be seen more. I think that more items on homepage will lead to less clicks on a single item there.

I’m my opinion the ThemeForest bubble is starting to bust, it has cheapened the web development a lot. The next step would be another marketplace with 10$ to 15$ WP themes, I’m sure most people here will be OK with these prices as long as they sell.

I’m not sure how much were developers charging clients before ThemeForest. But currently developers who purchased my theme in ThemeForest, are getting about €1500 – €2000 for a site with at most 12 pages from their clients. We are not selling web design. We are selling themes. This is different.

I guess ThemeForest is letting junior developers and designers to make more and easier money by customizing a theme that are purchased from TF for clients and clients are more satisfied because they know what they will get after the project is finished.

Cheers,
Iman

322 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

Having 80 items on home is definitely not the way to go. In 6 months from now you’ll need 120, then 160 and so on. This whole homepage thing was fine a while ago. Not anymore. Right now, with the humongous flow of items, the balance can only be assured through a good search and good filtering options.

This means, as I said in an earlier message: 1. Take out the whole “New items” from home
2. Promote the new search on home
3. Encourage discovery of items, new and old alike, and let buyers decide based on filters what works for them.

With the current state of the market I don’t see anything else working properly and leveling the field.

Now, in regards to the market ending up lowering the prices of web-design… I can’t agree. Let’s talk WordPress a bit. There are so many free WordPress themes out there, have been for a while, yet people have designed their own blogs and wanted custom themes for a long time. And they had FREE themes, some really good ones, not PREMIUM, all along. Yet we still get customers wanting tailored solutions.

Those who want custom and can afford it will always choose custom. It’s the same principle that applies to people pirating our items. Those that pirate them, will never get the paid ones anyway. Likewise, those who buy $XX templates won’t invest $XXXX in a custom solution.

Also, there might be a side effect. Custom-tailored solutions bringing in more money to developers because they are turning into a luxury product that makes you stand out of the crown.

by
by
by
by
by
by