• Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
ImanGM says

1. Take out the whole “New items” from home
2. Promote the new search on home

Wow! Think that the new items block is replace by a new search block with some filtering fields such as date, rate, price, sales, last update and… This is the best idea that I’ve heard on this thread :)

100+

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

1. Take out the whole “New items” from home
2. Promote the new search on home

Wow! Think that the new items block is replace by a new search block with some filtering fields such as date, rate, price, sales, last update and… This is the best idea that I’ve heard on this thread :)

100+

While removing the new items section, it would be fair to remove the weekly popular section too! :D

1090 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
ImanGM says

While removing the new items section, it would be fair to remove the weekly popular section too! :D

May be adding a “Popular New Items” beside “Popular Items” will be better than removing Popular Items. When your item is selling more, it means you deserve to have a reward for it :superbashfulcute:

24 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
vamtam says

@Kriesi, comparing iStock, Google Play Store, Apple App store and analyzing with Pareto Principle are wrong way to justify the sales related complaints here.(May be iStock – PhotoDune comparisons can be slightly sensible) The root cause of complaints are not just on sales / profit but deficiencies on navigation and features. The buyers also complains. Sales related complaints starts after observing a deficiency/inconsistency in navigation. When there is no significant improvements made for more than 4-5 years on exposure channels, Pareto Principle doesn’t going to justify the apparent /suspected loses on profit.

Great, you explained it much better than me only with a few sentences :)

615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
+4 more
Kriesi says

@Kriesi, comparing iStock, Google Play Store, Apple App store and analyzing with Pareto Principle are wrong way to justify the sales related complaints here.(May be iStock – PhotoDune comparisons can be slightly sensible) The root cause of complaints are not just on sales / profit but deficiencies on navigation and features. The buyers also complains. Sales related complaints starts after observing a deficiency/inconsistency in navigation. When there is no significant improvements made for more than 4-5 years on exposure channels, Pareto Principle doesn’t going to justify the apparent /suspected loses on profit.

DS says that the profits from a few here are unheard of on any marketplace, I just provide the numbers and show that this is not true and that Themeforest is actually a nice place to sell.

Also I think you give people to much credit ;D I would argue that most complaints start because authors are not happy with their sales and then try to find a reason why this is the case. Or do you really think that if the thread creators latest item would have sold 100 times on the two days of the frontpage he would have opened this thread? ;D

Don’t say its a bad thing that he did, the concerns are real and the discussion + the suggested solutions certainly are a good thing. I just think it wouldn’t have happened if he would be happy with his sales :)

And yes. I have also been there and done that. I think its just human :D

I’ve seen a new theme that released today and it sells about 20 in the weekend and just in a few hours. So if a theme is good enough, it will sell more and more.

I was 4 weeks on the homepage as featured item but I was not able to sell more than 50 items per week. This doesn’t mean that there is a problem with the marketplace, probably I was not good enough to sell more…

I think this is the best way to look at your own items and its also the approach I use and it has served me well. But to be honest, what you already know after one upload, I only learned after months on being on the marketplace, and it caused a lot of frustration for me in the beginning.

Yes there are some flaws in the current system, discussing them is good and improvements on the marketplace are also good, but in the end it always comes down to the piece of work you are trying to sell :)

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
ImanGM says

But to be honest, what you already know after one upload, I only learned after months on being on the marketplace, and it caused a lot of frustration for me in the beginning.

Out of Topic: Wow! This is so promising! Actually I’m planning to achieve the number of sales that you’ve made here (and your rating of course), So lets hope that some day I’ll reply to this post:

what you already achieved by selling in a few months on the ThemeForest, I only sold after years on being on the marketplace as a top seller!

:D

Yes there are some flaws in the current system, discussing them is good and improvements on the marketplace are also good, but in the end it always comes down to the piece of work you are trying to sell :)

+1 on this. IMHO we should forget to change the whole marketplace because our items are not selling good. We should try to make better and better items that will stand out from the rest…

Of course I’m a real fan of a new and more advanced search system ;)

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

DS says that the profits from a few here are unheard of on any marketplace, I just provide the numbers and show that this is not true and that Themeforest is actually a nice place to sell. Also I think you give people to much credit ;D I would argue that most complaints start because authors are not happy with their sales and then try to find a reason why this is the case. Or do you really think that if the thread creators latest item would have sold 100 times on the two days of the frontpage he would have opened this thread? ;D

Hope staffs doesn’t see the entire community feedback this way! :D I think at some point, a single comment may appear biased but if we follow the pattern of comments on same thread or follow the commenter, it will bring better understanding. Of course it is almost impossible to grasp real motive behind any suggestion / complaint when the thread has 100s of comments! ;)

4503 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Anyone who uploads a new file will get good sales in the first week and then it will taper off. Unless they do a lot of outside marketing. This should be a clue the site does offer authors opportunities to make money but overall it loses its momentum too fast, compared to how the system use to work a few years back. On the other hand we have files that maintain high sales / hyper inflated profits consistently over years. Resulting in disproportionate profit sharing, and room for monopolization of the system – since the site is all about exposure – creating private exposure channels to the site has now become the norm amongst those who make healthy profits here. The solution would be to reduce the focus on top files and top authors, and overall increase exposure to new authors and files. Once those who can afford outside exposure channels, will use that income to expand they’re exposure to outside of the Envato network… The Envato exposure channels should be primarily geared towards showcasing new files, and keeping the content new and fresh – as the base platform to expose and drive sales to new content.

All that we need is a little bit more balance, fine tuning to the system, new ways to bring more exposure to new files, and create more opportunities for everyone. With all the creative talent here we should be working together to solve these problems to maintain a healthier business model for both buyer and author a like.

1362 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

From my side i am not talking about sales, since i know they are not all that and themeforest is not guilty, i am strictly talking about exposure in compare to b4, so in store if you offer 10 apples for 1 eur and after that those apples grow smaller and smaller and you still charge 1 eur its a bit odd. That is why they charge by kg… here similar 4 weeks of exposure and search system that is adequate for the amount it was b4 but now 1 day and search that its absolutely useless is not worth its money any more.

cheers

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
ImanGM says

Hey,

Completely out of topic, Haven’t seen thread opener – FinalDestiny – for a while. I was watching news and it says that Phillipines is hit by the strongest hurricane in the world history and he’s from Phillipines as well. Just worry about him and other authors from Phillipines… Any good news from these friends?

Cheers, Iman

by
by
by
by
by
by