368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Likes are a very bad way to rate a product since they will always favor older products which had more time to get more likes (unless you implement a complicated solution with items losing likes over time). Likes are nice to push someones ego on facebook or instagram but thats about it…

And 4.96 stars out of 245 ratings vs. 4.87 out of 5 ratings ain’t the same thing? 245 ratings will still be in favor of the older/better sold item. Only cause users can vote for 1 star (which keeps generating complaing) makes it different? :) Anyway, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that’s where the trouble is with the current status of thing. It’s just a thought that can or can’t be shared by more people. :)

@digitalscience:

We’re making a little confusion here, that Scott made too earlier. We CANNOT compare how things go on regular shops with how things go on TF. And you can fully see how irrelevant “new items are turning”. You can’t give more exposure by pushing bigger times on the queue. You simply can’t. If I’m waiting for 10 days to get a generic soft reject message, I’ll shoot my brains out. :) That’s not the solution. And the market grows.

In terms of new items, again. This is community generated content. Amazon might decide which items to promote, to push the new iPad or whatever the want to push or get rid off from stock. Here it doesn’t work that way. If you can’t make it balanced and overall fair, lose it. We can’t treat TF like it’s a street corner shop, cause it ain’t. Those shops BUY their stocks. The manufacturers of those items, in most cases are paid upfront for their work. Sure, pay me for my template and I won’t give a crap if you put me first or not, it’s your choice as a shop how you set your display. But if I’m not getting advance money, I want a fair shot and fair display at making that money.

And again, no shop actually puts sales number on display. It’s marketing and quality and word of mouth that drives attention to items turning them into high profile items.

But I understand why you feel the need to display sales number. As elite authors with high profile/high sales items, that’s a bonus you’ve earned in the current system and you feel like it’s an extra promotional tool to help your sales and vouch for your items. It is and I get it. I’m not blaming you for feeling that way. The trouble is that the market was built like that in the first place. I’m asking you, what vouches for fairly new items that are of above average quality? They don’t have Elite statuses behind. They don’t have XXX 5* ratings. They don’t get any decent initial exposure time. And the popularity contest is fairly flawed and kinda pushes the same (types of) items over and over again.

Should we call it “EliteForest.net” and just leave it at that? :) Jokes aside, this is the single most important thing that NEEDS to happen: Envato to put out that advanced filters search and to start encouraging items discovery much more aggressively. Everything else we discuss here is just added functionality or further tweaks.

4665 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

We’re making a little confusion here, that Scott made too earlier. We CANNOT compare how things go on regular shops with how things go on TF.

I think the best way to compare this market to something else is the music industry.... we have super stars, we have all time best sellers, we have trends, we have different styles, we have different genres, we have new artists, we have competitions, we have media exposure. And we have awards.

Just like the music industry, showcasing charts of new items, and artists would make alot more sense – to keep this marketplace on the cutting edge – this is a technology marketplace after all. No one wants to hear the same song on the radio everyday ;)

3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

I think the best way to compare this market to something else is the music industry.... we have super stars, we have all time best sellers, we have trends, we have different styles, we have different genres, we have new artists, we have competitions, we have media exposure. And we have awards.

We have Miley Cyrus.

(3689 posts of stupid things, and growing!)

4665 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

We have Miley Cyrus.

(3689 posts of stupid things, and growing!)

And of course we have Jesús “Follow the Fish” PezFlash :) So ya Envato is like the rock star music industry – but that’s what gave it so much appeal since it’s inception!

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

We already talked a lot guys, it seems staff’s reply will come gradually here (according to scottwills post). So lets wait until we get a full round of response and then start pointing our opinion ;)

419 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+8 more
gljivec says

And again, no shop actually puts sales number on display. It’s marketing and quality and word of mouth that drives attention to items turning them into high profile items.

I totally agree with this. If we want market that don’t in start favor top selling authors we need to remove sales count!

14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
ChargedPixels says

Maybe we can have something in between, not an exact sales number but a range in wich sales number is 0-100, 101-500, 501-1000, 1001-5000, 5001+? This way our best seller would be in the same group with other 36 themes. Something very similar we already have with authors.

Same approach could be used in weekly top sellers with sales ranges: 200+, 151-200, 101-150, 51-100 and with each item in random position in it’s group like it used to be in the homepage only here it would make more sense.

123 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
dunhakdis says

I am a new author here and I find this topic to be really interesting.

Just would like to know what ‘really’ is the problem with sales being displayed? I find this thing really motivating and this is one of the main reasons why I join this marketplace and quit my full time job as UX Engineer. I’m sure others are also motivated by this.

Seriously guys, this feature shouldn’t be remove in the marketplace as it makes this market more “transparent” to each one of us. There are no real problems in my humble opinion, unless we complain about it, get mad, and blame the sales display as a reason why the theme is being favored. Of course, it is one of the reason, but there are other factors such as design trend and features to be considered and whether your product brings value or not.

Right now I have no massive sales and I only have 1 item in my portfolio. But I never ever think of the sales being displayed as a problem, nor the homepage exposure.

Just my two cents for saying that I am against this. Although, I agree that not only homepage should be revamped but the whole site! At least make this site responsive. Hehe.

Lol..

Thanks so much!

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

If you’ll notice on most of the online shos they sort the products based on the number of sales, even if it doesn’t show the number of people who bought it(it’s definitely not the same thing), however, the number of sales is there for a reason. You can’t expect a Mac to sell the same vs a Huawei laptop, so you can show the Huawei laptop first.

The items with higher sales are there for a reason, the buyers are happy, everyone’s happy, it means something, it deserves to be there and to be bought.

739 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Hey guys,
I’m following this thread for quite a while.. and it’s a real shame to watch how necessary and useful topic becomes an exposition of peoples ugliness, jealousy and selfishness:

“Hmm, my stuff is not selling. Maybe it’s not good enough? Nah, it’s all those nasty top selling items.”

SOME OF YOU instead of making your products better, just want your fellow authors to have less sales so it does not hurt your ego. Bravo!

by
by
by
by
by
by