1798 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Hey guys,
I’m following this thread for quite a while.. and it’s a real shame to watch how necessary and useful topic becomes an exposition of peoples ugliness, jealousy and selfishness:

“Hmm, my stuff is not selling. Maybe it’s not good enough? Nah, it’s all those nasty top selling items.”

SOME OF YOU instead of making your products better, just want your fellow authors to have less sales so it does not hurt your ego. Bravo!

I’ll have to agree on this. I opened this topic just for the homepage exposure and maybe for a better search filter, which are the things that should help all the authors, however, some of the authors seem like, if they don’t have sales, no other authors should have big sales. That’s indeed a shame.

38 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+7 more
vamtam says

The sales should be based on quality only, I do not see one reason why Envato should help one item not the other. We all know that top weekly chart won’t change a lot since these are really the best items. Only the distribution of sales between them will change. This is valid for the whole marketplace as well.

6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Lets express our angers and jealousy in a friendly way! :P

Definitively the topic of initial exposure deserves its own discussion. But to foresee a solution, we can’t ignore how other sections of navigation affects the initial exposure / sales. This is where top sellers got involved here – otherwise top sellers simply reflects quality and fitness – there is no doubt on that.

Digitalscience mentioned a valid point about how the initial exposure and weekly top seller pages are inter-connected. Weekly popular items get a solid 7 days exposure – this is constant. New item’s exposure time varies over time; 4 years back it was around 2-3 solid days – so to compete with a top seller, new items had 2-3 solid days of exposure. But now weekly popular section has same 7 days but initial exposure becomes hours – obviously impossible to compete with a top seller even with better features / quality. So what actually happens is, a qualified new item faces vicious circle of exposure loss – sales loss – search promotion loss. Now we are entering into gamble system.

This points the exposure time of popular items needs to be adjusted to sync with average initial exposure time of new items.

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Pixelous says

The sales should be based on quality only, I do not see one reason why Envato should help one item not the other. We all know that top weekly chart won’t change a lot since these are really the best items. Only the distribution of sales between them will change. This is valid for the whole marketplace as well.

Hi, how do you know which are the best and which are not?

38 posts
  • Won a competition
+7 more
vamtam says

Hi, how do you know which are the best and which are not?

The sales number is pretty solid indicator. The items are in the chats for a reason. I am not really fan of removing the sale number. :)

38 posts
  • Won a competition
+7 more
vamtam says

Lets express our angers and jealousy in a friendly way! :P

Definitively the topic of initial exposure deserves its own discussion. But to foresee a solution, we can’t ignore how other sections of navigation affects the initial exposure / sales. This is where top sellers got involved here – otherwise top sellers simply reflects quality and fitness – there is no doubt on that.

Digitalscience mentioned a valid point about how the initial exposure and weekly top seller pages are inter-connected. Weekly popular items get a solid 7 days exposure – this is constant. New item’s exposure time varies over time; 4 years back it was around 2-3 solid days – so to compete with a top seller, new items had 2-3 solid days of exposure. But now weekly popular section has same 7 days but initial exposure becomes hours – obviously impossible to compete with a top seller even with better features / quality. So what actually happens is, a qualified new item faces vicious circle of exposure loss – sales loss – search promotion loss. Now we are entering into gamble system.

This points the exposure time of popular items needs to be adjusted to sync with average initial exposure time of new items.

Great ideas! The fixes are so simple.

4680 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

+1 Just makes logical sense… otherwise a new file not only has to be equal in quality to a top selling file, but sell better with 1 day proper home exposure compared to 7 full days popular files exposure.. that’s a tall order.

424 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+8 more
gljivec says

I see that you really like sale count :) I like it to, but this is the main problem.

If the item is that good it will sell even if there is sale counter or not, but new items would have a better chance to sell well and get higher in the search rankings.

Front page is totaly not important! Ask buyers how they look for themes. I guess first they filter by category, then sort by sale count :). So how can you excpet to sell new items well, especially something that is not multi purpose theme with generic design :)

753 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
Dream-Theme says
IMO, fundamental problems are:
  • unequal exposure time on homepage for new items;
  • unequal chances of getting to Top Sellers for themes released in last half of the week;
  • too many clones.

Last point will not change since Envato needs to retain its near-monopoly status. Pure business.

Fitst two can and should be made more fair.

But when I’m reading “Remove sales counter! Remove Top sellers!!”... Sorry guys, this already have nothing to do with marketplace itself.

4680 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

^The keyword is “reduce” exposure – not “remove” exposure to top files. If one mentions pushing focus to new files, top authors read that as “remove” or “massive drop in sales” ;) Main area of improvement is bringing more “balance” to the system between new files and older files.

by
by
by
by
by
by