666 posts
    Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Great items appear in the rankings for sure but in lower position than they should be :). So you may as well be a victim of the current system. :)

A small glance into my portfolio will prove that I was “victim” many-many-many times :) Oh wait, it’s just because my items (well at least most of them) were/are not good enough for “popular” flies!

5891 posts
    Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Edit: Regarding refreshing every 24 hours, that also needed but looks like that will still not solve the problem of “how an item of 9 hours initial exposure can receive competitive sales to reach weekly popular”. This is where we need a separate popular section dedicated for new items alone.
That’s where more fair distribution of exposure on the homepage comes in.

That also needed – each new files needs equal exposure. But if all the new files have only 4-5 hours of initial exposure (the near future possibility :D ) then we eventually need popular new items section!

666 posts
    Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Great files do pop up from time to time, but they need to be exceedingly higher quality and fill a new niche – what this site lacks is creating competition between existing niche files – to keep content new and fresh. Instead the niches become stagnant with same files which don’t change over years.

Sorry, I’m not getting the point. You’re not happy that new items needs to be better than old ones to complete with them?
Keyword “exceedingly” New files basically have to be the best file on the marketplace to compete with entry level top seller files. 5 years ago you could upload a file at the same level and it would be fair competition.

Sorry, cannot agree 100%. http://themeforest.net/page/top_sellers – there are enough new items.

Edit: Especially pay attention to 7 and 8 place ;) Is it enough?

Even here http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress you will see items that stands out.

Edit 2: + I’m still not getting why “same level” item should be competitor to original one. IMO to compete “new” MUST be better than “old”. Otherwise why would you need “new”??

4596 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I’m bored of this conversation, because you keep picking on particular words I say and completely twist the meaning and turn it into an argument.

Basically the reality is: exposure for new files is too short, exposure for old files is too long, resulting in an unbalanced, stagnant, noncompetitive marketplace.

There are new files that are exceptions to the rule, that have managed to sell well – but this use to be common place when the site started, now it’s becoming less frequent.. just because they still pop up shouldn’t prove the system is OK. It is OK for older top sellers, but generally not OK for everyone else ;)

End of story. :)

666 posts
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

... I’ve shown you couple of absolutely new items that got to Top 10.

4596 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Look I’ve been selling here since 2007, I saw ActiveDen start from nothing, to something huge.. and as the top seller there I experienced all the flaws and learnt how they work in my favor. The exact same thing applies to TF.. except TF is much larger than AD ever was. I’m probably the only ELITE who will speak openly about the flaws, because the marketplace I was on is now dead, otherwise anyone else who is Elite and selling well, will keep quiet and point out other reasons why new authors struggle to have good sales. Point is the system is flawed, no matter which way you want to argue it, that is the truth.

1999 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

I’m saying home exposure has to change, despite my team having 2 items in top 10 this week.

TF is not AJ, it takes far more time to check all pages, features, mobile layout, comments and so on than listening to the first 10-15s of an audio track.

As a result, the amount of items that a TF buyer can preview is much smaller and home/popular have a much bigger role in sales distribution.

666 posts
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Look I’ve been selling here since 2007, I saw ActiveDen start from nothing, to something huge.. and as the top seller there I experienced all the flaws and learnt how they work in my favor. The exact same thing applies to TF.. except TF is much larger than AD ever was. I’m probably the only ELITE who will speak openly about the flaws, because the marketplace I was on is now dead, otherwise anyone else who is Elite and selling well, will keep quiet and point out other reasons why new authors struggle to have good sales.

I’m not saying that you are completely wrong. I’m also not saying that all is fine on ThemeForest. I just don’t agree that things are THAT bad. I also consider some of your ideas as too radical. That’s it.

P.S.: In the authors quiz that took place some weeks ago (about the Elite program) I mentioned that there’s lack of communication between Envato and authors. And that it’s not the best time for new author on TF, because your item can be buried beneath low quality clones.

4596 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

I also consider some of your ideas as too radical. That’s it.

Ye cos I’m pretty radical :D

28 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Won a competition
+7 more
vamtam says

... I’ve shown you couple of absolutely new items that got to Top 10.

Why should these items settle with the position the have? They may be higher in the ranks if the traffic distribution has been more balanced and the changes we are discussing have been introduced.

Please stop pointing to new items that have success and made it to the top weekly charts. Their sales are undermined as well by the current flows of the site. So how do you feel being number one or two :)?

by
by
by
by
by
by