• Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
Dream-Theme says

... I’ve shown you couple of absolutely new items that got to Top 10.

Why should these items settle with the position the have? They may be higher in the ranks if the traffic distribution has been more balanced and the changes we are discussing have been introduced.

Please stop pointing to new items that have success and made it to the top weekly charts. Their sales are undermined as well by the current flows of the site. So how do you feel being number one or two :)?

If those files are good enough they will end up even higher next week!

And why should I “stop pointing to new items that have success and made it to the top weekly charts”? because it proves somebody wrong? :)

> So how do you feel being number one or two :)?

Actually it’s 3. It’s cool, but tough. Because you need to evolve fast to stay there. Much faster that you do before initial theme release.

24 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
vamtam says

... I’ve shown you couple of absolutely new items that got to Top 10.

Why should these items settle with the position the have? They may be higher in the ranks if the traffic distribution has been more balanced and the changes we are discussing have been introduced.

Please stop pointing to new items that have success and made it to the top weekly charts. Their sales are undermined as well by the current flows of the site. So how do you feel being number one or two :)?

If those files are good enough they will end up even higher next week!

And why should I “stop pointing to new items that have success and made it to the top weekly charts”? because it proves somebody wrong? :)

> So how do you feel being number one or two :)?

Actually it’s 3. It’s cool, but tough. Because you need to evolve fast to stay there. Much faster that you do before initial theme release.

Actually I meant that you might,ve been 2 or 1 have the changes been introduced :). So the proposed changes should affect positively all new items regardless of their position in the top weekly.

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

Actually I meant that you might,ve been 2 or 1 have the changes been introduced :). So the proposed changes should affect positively all new items regardless of their position in the top weekly.

Honestly I doubt that it wold change things that much. I have what I believe to be a good understanding of why different themes in TOP 10 are in their places. Number of sales is very important but not the exceptional key factor. I’m referring to Kriesi again – he already described situation earlier in this thread.

405 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Europe
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+3 more
gljivec says

Number of sales is very important but not the exceptional key factor.

I think this is absolutely wrong. For older items numbers of sales are the major factor.

4511 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I think this is absolutely wrong. For older items numbers of sales are the major factor.

Yup very wrong… a good example is the PSD category.. Collis (Envato CEO) created one of the first PSD templates in 2008 (2 pages).... it is currently the highest selling PSD file and quite often it appears on the popular page under PSD category to this day… Is his file even close to the level or even as up to date as newer files? – not by a long shot… it only sells purely based on high sales.

Now apply this to every other older file on the marketplace with high sales, and you’ll see how flawed the system is – because the formula works exactly the same way as Collis’s PSD file. The evidence doesn’t lie. Buyers are actually missing out on good content, because they end up buying stuff from 2008 instead of 2013 purely because its hard to browse content and find relevant stuff..

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@All,

Looking at few pages of discussion, looks like our time wasted with self centered suggestions and attacks :|

ok!

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

@All,

Looking at few pages of discussion, looks like our time wasted with self centered suggestions and attacks :|

ok!

Agree! Sorry for being part of it. I’m off.

4511 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

@All,

ok!
Agree! Sorry for being part of it. I’m off.

Runs when hard facts are revealed :) K bye x

5222 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

Hey guys, let’s try and keep this civil. There’s a ton of great discussion going on, we don’t want to derail this if we can :) Thanks!

1724 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

Yup very wrong… a good example is the PSD category.. Collis (Envato CEO) created one of the first PSD templates in 2008 (2 pages).... it is currently the highest selling PSD file and quite often it appears on the popular page under PSD category to this day… Is his file even close to the level or even as up to date as newer files? – not by a long shot… it only sells purely based on high sales.

Now apply this to every other older file on the marketplace with high sales, and you’ll see how flawed the system is – because the formula works exactly the same way as Collis’s PSD file. The evidence doesn’t lie. Buyers are actually missing out on good content, because they end up buying stuff from 2008 instead of 2013 purely because its hard to browse content and find relevant stuff..

It sells because it’s a part of a tutorial on nettuts. ;) If a file has lots of paid advertising and links and banners but it’s 5 years old, it should get the same exposure as a non-advertised product added one week ago?

by
by
by
by
by
by