4641 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Number of sales is very important but not the exceptional key factor.
I think this is absolutely wrong. For older items numbers of sales are the major factor.

Yup very wrong… a good example is the PSD category.. Collis (Envato CEO) created one of the first PSD templates in 2008 (2 pages).... it is currently the highest selling PSD file and quite often it appears on the popular page under PSD category to this day… Is his file even close to the level or even as up to date as newer files? – not by a long shot… it only sells purely based on high sales.

Now apply this to every other older file on the marketplace with high sales, and you’ll see how flawed the system is – because the formula works exactly the same way as Collis’s PSD file. The evidence doesn’t lie. Buyers are actually missing out on good content, because they end up buying stuff from 2008 instead of 2013 purely because its hard to browse content and find relevant stuff..
It sells because it’s a part of a tutorial on nettuts. ;) If a file has lots of paid advertising and links and banners but it’s 5 years old, it should get the same exposure as a non-advertised product added one week ago?

I doubt it… this a scenario of a buyer:

1 ) I need a PSD
2 ) Go to PSD category
3 ) See a list of files with 0 – 4 sales
4 ) Click sort by sales and see files with 1000 sales
5 ) Buy
6 ) Alternatively.. click popular files
7 ) See a lot of the same files which were purchased by sorting by sales.
8 ) Buy
9 ) Another alternative.. type a search
10 ) See a list of files with various sales
11 ) Sort by sales to see best sellers
12 ) Buy

And thus the gap between old files and new files grows ;) The system works GREAT in the beginning of the marketplace but FAILS long term.

414 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+8 more
gljivec says

^ +1

1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

So instead of showing popular files that are more likely to be liked by the user and bought, let’s show him files that were bought at most 10 times or that have at most 50 sales in, ideally, more than 6 months. He will surely find what he wants! Great idea!

35 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+7 more
vamtam says

So instead of showing popular files that are more likely to be liked by the user and bought, let’s show him files that were bought at most 10 times or that have at most 50 sales in, ideally, more than 6 months. He will surely find what he wants! Great idea!

Popular files are fine as long as the new items have fare chance of appearing there. We’ve had a few themes in first position for the last 3 years in a such dynamic market …....

414 posts Code Is Poetry
+8 more
gljivec says

That is beside the point and I guess you are missing it on purpose. If the search engine is as it is (useless), the sales counter is the most crucial data/filter there is. And home page exposure is nothing compared to that. And that was my whole point, home page exposure and a lot of items accepted doesn’t play that big of a factor. What we currently need the most is a search engine that would actually find something useful.

4641 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

Again it’s about balance. Alot of you seem to think in black and white terms, ist not either one or the another. You have to think 10 years from now, do you think it makes sense to keep showing buyers files from 10 years ago? Do you really think that? Obviously there needs to be some sort of filtering mechanism which shows content on the site – to keep it relevant. So the two aspects are

1) Sales (Increase results)
2) Time (Decreases results)

When a file is submitted it gets a lot of exposure, as time progresses it’s sales increase but it’s exposure grows less. This would create the perfect system to maintain the site in the long term.

This will cap all files, and automatically phase them out of the system, allowing new files and content the same opportunities. Otherwise Envato will become like an investment bank for creatives – where who ever got in first will see benefits – and buyers end up with outdated content.

414 posts Code Is Poetry
+8 more
gljivec says

Sorry I made double post so I report one :)

626 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Number of sales is very important but not the exceptional key factor.
I think this is absolutely wrong. For older items numbers of sales are the major factor.
Yup very wrong… a good example is the PSD category.. Collis (Envato CEO) created one of the first PSD templates in 2008 (2 pages).... it is currently the highest selling PSD file and quite often it appears on the popular page under PSD category to this day… Is his file even close to the level or even as up to date as newer files? – not by a long shot… it only sells purely based on high sales.

To my mind you are making an argument against yourself with this. If people would really ignore the quality of an item and just sheepishly buy the oldest or the ones with the most sales Collis PSD file would ALWAYS be in the popular psd list. It only takes 3 freaking sales to get there. Also why do other top-all-time-psd-files like smasher or boxit don’t shop up?

Don’t get me wrong, its for sure happening that some people do buy that way, but I think if an item is outdated its conversion rate will drop to almost zero. I also think the aforementioned explanation with that item being the part of a popular psd tuts article is far more likely than yours.

But the problem in either case is that a sample size that low (3 sales necessary) on a market that big wont let you draw any viable conclusions, therefore I don’t even try. Heck, Envato could probably push any psd file into that list with a single tweet, so I really consider any argumentation using the psd file section as a measurement for the whole site as useless :P

Since you always put so much focus on “the fact” that old items are so destroying new ones in terms of visibility, that new ones stand no chance and that in the future only old stuff will be sold because its getting worse and worse: I did a check of whats currently in the popular file section: there are a staggering 6! items that I would consider old (not created in 2013) out of 55! And far more than half of that remaining 49 items were created within less than 5-6 months.

The few old files doing well are the exception to the rule, not the rule. And most of them are already losing ground to the newer themes…

And even if we take a look back at “better times”: One year ago it was the same picture: 7 items older than a year. And the same before that year.

If you ask me the marketplace is working (mostly) fine. Fix the search, fix the frontpage exposure, fix all that you wan’t but please don’t blame the marketplace for people not getting sales. If they produce an item that appeals to the audience, it will sell. If they don’t no ‘marketplace fix’ will change that.

1468 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Without some real statistics this can go on and on, cool thing would be(but its against the rules)to boost up some new mediocre item with 35+ sales in 24 hours and see will it go…:)

Since, tough not sure, I still think people mostly check “O so many sales, it must be good!”, its a guess but I think over 70% buyers are like that.

Cheers

5978 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Without some real statistics this can go on and on, cool thing would be(but its against the rules)to boost up some new mediocre item with 35+ sales in 24 hours and see will it go…:)

Actually it is not even needed to make a practical test for solid conclusion. I think where things get uncertain is when too many items are almost similar in design and also other aspects. Sometimes it is our(author’s) perception that item A and item B are similar but only item B is getting top sales because of accidental popularity. I think it is wrong, item B might have better attractions than item A from buyers perspective – although the difference is minor (unnoticeable by co-authors too), it can still make a huge difference in sales. Complex subject! :D

This is why we need these: Initial exposure should be equal for each item and qualified items shouldn’t lose its popular items page entry because of Thursday approval! This will ensure top sellers are solidly qualified.

by
by
by
by
by
by