• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United States
CoralixThemes says

+1 We totally agree with you.

Hello everyone. I’m just amazed when looking at the latest approved themes and templates. In nearly 48 hours they approved more than 50 themes.

What does this mean for the authors? No more exposure. The exposure lasts for a few hours at most and when the new themes/templates are approved, your themes simply goes away from the homepage. And in the top menu it goes 5th, 6th, 7th at least. In some more hours it will no longer be even there. Then, how will the members find your theme if in 2 days it’s gone from the homepage and the WordPress / Site Templates menu?

We use ThemeForest because it gets us exposure and sales without us doing anything. We’re paying %30 for..what exactly, right now? I’m seeing lots and lots of themes with average quality(below high) that I have absolutely no idea how they went through. I see copies of TheNextWeb weekly, I see the same multipurpose themes with the same elements and just a new typography and mix of elements approved everyday.

I think something needs to change and someone must take a step forward and actually care for the authors. Probably Envato doesn’t care as long as it gets the cut from each sale, but if we, authors, will get 30-50 sales for each item even if we worked like weeks on it, there’s absolutely nothing that will stop us from moving to competitors or selling them directly, since getting that number of sales is extremely easy.

And after seeing http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/does-envato-respect-their-authors-vol-2/113074 and lots of other topics, I’m seriously doubting the Envato future. Lots of things done in a very questionable way, since I came to envato(1 year and half ago) I have seen absolutely ZERO things Envato did in order to see what the authors miss, what the authors would want new on the marketplaces. Only things they THINK we need and stuff that has been promised since years.

My opinion is that there should be MORE reviewers(at least 6) working on 4 different shifts and approving themes with definitely more standards(not the same multipurpose and copies everyday) and with the same exposure for all of them.

This topic is just for discussion between the authors, don’t lock it because we’re not happy with the current structure, this is NOT the way to solve things).

99 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
CoralixThemes says

I would like to say thanks to “Dream-Theme” for publishing “(Locked) Does Envato respect their authors? Vol 2.”.

738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

It’s an interesting problem that Envato needs to answer. There are too many themes coming down the pipeline and not enough customers to gobble them up. I have a few suggestions for Envato:

• Kick advertising up a notch. (Or 3)
  • Automatically remove themes that are > 1 year && <XXX sales.
  • Divide ThemeForest.

I doubt these will be noticed, but I think those things might help increase exposure for individual themes. The reason concerns from authors with Envato are sitting on the back-burners is because Envato does not need more authors, plain and simple. Envato is simply operating on the biggest principle of economics: supply and demand.

They can’t rightly deny acceptable themes as this is an open marketplace, but they can ignore the pleas of authors. Eventually, this will lead to a drop in authors, and in turn, submissions. Perhaps Envato are hoping this problem will solve itself in time? It will create more competition for them in the long run though, as competent developers & designers form their own theme shops…

Personally, I don’t think this bodes well for ThemeForest and potentially other Envato marketplaces. A company that doesn’t adapt to new constraints will crumble in time.

1387 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Bedros says

• Automatically remove themes that are > 1 year && <XXX sales.
  • Divide ThemeForest.

A big no no.
Users Shouldn’t be forced to delete their own items.
Even one of my items generates a $5 in a two months period , I still need that $5.

1958 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

Well here is my 2 cents.

I think that some people become greedy and just want things. If you look at how many members and authors there are and how many files it is impossible to have the same exposure as a year ago because there are a lot of files getting uploaded so everyone have their one day of fame on the home page. It is not Envatos fault at all. The thing is that a lot of files get uploaded so they all have to get their share of exposure so this is why some people complain.

I do believe that the review process has to be better because some things are just not adequate, for instance the cut and paste review messages which sometimes are so vague that i do not have a clue on what to do.

I think that the homepage should be redesigned to accommodate for the immense amount of files that get approved so everyone gets their one day of fame on there to kick start the sales. I mean other than that the market place is pretty fair. I used to sell my stuff on other marketplaces and they are not all that great. This is the reason why the Envato Marketplaces are on the top almost no competition because they are way better than the rest.

I mean there are always people that complain about things that’s a given but if you do not think that you are getting the exposure you want or need you can always pull off your files either go to another marketplace or open your own marketplace up, the sky is the limit you can do what ever you like. You are not tied down to this market place. As i would say it if you don’t like it the door is there and you are welcome to stay or leave.

Cheers

Lester

354 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
pixeful says

Only 5 hours on main page on monday. Soo happy :///

3245 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Only 5 hours on main page on monday. Soo happy :///

+1 .. I don’t have files on the HP but this is really crazy..

@Lester – let’s all settle for what we have here and stop complaining about improvements. Yeah, who needs a better HP, a better search engine? Let’s all be ok with what we have and let Envato fire half of their developers because the marketplace is so good that it doesn’t need any more improvements. :D

Thinking like that means to put a stop on progress. Envato isn’t on top because they are better from the rest, it’s because they have a long history! There are marketplaces out there which have critical features which Envato misses and Envato should see this and improve. If we would all stop complaining and Envato would stop listening this marketplace would be doomed.

1210 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

I agree, critical mass is what is putting envato on top. And constant evolution will keep them there.

3245 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Some of you said “don’t complain, just work hard blah blah blah”.. Well i work hard but i wouldn’t want my hard work to be flushed out of the homepage in a few hours.

Maybe i’m an Elite author with 1000 authors and shouldn’t care too much about HP exposure, but think of all the new authors who come to test their luck here. Buyers won’t ever bother looking. That’s why the HP needs a total redo and a much better search engine with many complex filters is a must!

1210 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Some of you said “don’t complain, just work hard blah blah blah”.. Well i work hard but i wouldn’t want my hard work to be flushed out of the homepage in a few hours. Maybe i’m an Elite author with 1000 authors and shouldn’t care too much about HP exposure, but think of all the new authors who come to test their luck here. Buyers won’t ever bother looking. That’s why the HP needs a total redo and a much better search engine with many complex filters is a must!

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by