616 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I don’t know how many times i see something on front page – hover it: see a nice screen with title: “bla bla bla theme”.

Look nice, let’s have a look: Hey, this is no THEME – goodbye

It’s freaking annoying.

First: Authors get the naming right – please….

Second: Reviewers SHOULD check those titles

Why:

It’s best for both authors and themeforest because:

1 – you don’t get annoyed visitors because they think they’re going to view something else

2 – maybe some think putting ‘theme’ in the title or something get them more visitors? WRONG: you’ll only get misguided clicks and viewers who don’t want it because they are searching for something else.

With this wrong naming over and over you only get more wrong clicks from people who aren’t looking for a PSD template because they want a THEME etc. etc.

Plus – it’s just plain stupid naming an item something it isn’t! just… plain … stupid

294 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
cosmincotor says

There were a few other, similar threads but it looks like a lot of authors don’t really know the difference between the words “theme” and “template”.

It is indeed misleading, and they will end up with angry buyers. There are also authors, although only a few of them, that leave comments on templates (on almost every new item) saying something like “Great theme!”, and on a theme “Great template!”. These should be flagged and removed.

I also think it’s time for envato to take action, and add a new rule that will take care of this.

So, +1 from me :)

616 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

And again i see at least 3 or 4 new items calling themselfs a theme, while is a freaking html template or even psd.

W T F ?

Why????

STUPID STUPID STUPID

224 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
WPAlchemy says

Take a deep breath and relax…

Also, i just checked your portfolio and the Theme you are selling doesn’t follow ThemeForest’s naming convention either. You might want to fix that.

616 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

Take a deep breath and relax… Also, i just checked your portfolio and the Theme you are selling doesn’t follow ThemeForest’s naming convention either. You might want to fix that.

Hahah your so funny

It says theme and guess what, it’s a theme. It’s about calling an item something it isn’t. But hey whatever right..

1312 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
LGLab says

What I don’t understand is why is it so important to you if all you want is “check out something that looks nice”, what difference does it make whether it’s a nice looking theme or a nice looking template?

You could always only browse the wp category if you want, or better yet, it’s Saturday, go and have a drink :P

224 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
WPAlchemy says

Hahah your so funny It says theme and guess what, it’s a theme. It’s about calling an item something it isn’t. But hey whatever right..

Did you even read the Name & Description requirements from this page? http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/354/78/a-step-by-step-guide-to-the-upload-process

I will quote, just in case you don’t want to go to that page, which apparently you never have before:

• “This is the File Name” – Capitalize the first letter in each word. Small words like “of” and “an” may be lowercase.

And thank you for saying I’m funny. You’re too.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I understand where you are coming from – see my other thread:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/i-hope-this-gets-through/108998

Envato’s response:

“Theme” doesn’t explicitly indicate any particular platform of CMS or other system (including WordPress). “Theme” could simply mean a visual design theme. We won’t be reviewing items for this in the title so I would recommend that buyers look at the category they’re buying from and ensure they’ve read the item description to best understand what the product is before they buy.”

However they did say:

Hi again Jonathan, thanks for the additional information, it has also been added to our Community report. We’ll be sure to keep everyone informed if/when there are any updates.

In the thread I linked to WP site to show their explanation of a theme – as Ivor corrected me however, Joomla are Templates. I got that bit wrong :)

Jonathan

616 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

Hahah your so funny It says theme and guess what, it’s a theme. It’s about calling an item something it isn’t. But hey whatever right..

Did you even read the Name & Description requirements from this page? http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/354/78/a-step-by-step-guide-to-the-upload-process

I will quote, just in case you don’t want to go to that page, which apparently you never have before:

• “This is the File Name” – Capitalize the first letter in each word. Small words like “of” and “an” may be lowercase.
And thank you for saying I’m funny. You’re too.

Uh-oohhh, you got me! I forgot a couple of capitals, shame on me. Now people get a totaly wrong idea of what the item is…

Haha

Again, it’s not about completely have everything by those rules – it’s about naming items which give people a wrong idea about what it is.

@LGLab i had those drinks Last night :)

@jonathan01 even though that is the official description, i think it’s not a good one to use for a PSD item, could be me..

Anyway, i just find it annoying as i do look at an item name to see if it’s a WP theme or whatever and think it would be better if the used terms are more clear. But yes, LGLab is right if you need a wp theme then look at wp category etc.

And it’s still weekend so, have a good day all! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by